Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FN Commerical Mauser actionn

Default FN Commerical Mauser actionn

I picked up a commercial FN .30-06 rifle made in 1951 at the Eagle River gun show today for $230. The barrel had some serious pitting on the muzzle end - it's probably junk - and the action had a few areas of minor pitting that I can probably work out but was about ew mechanically. The stock needed refinishing and had a repairable crack that will be barely noticeable.

Are there any negatives to these early FN commercial action other than the trigger and that they are not drilled and tapped for a scope? The workmanship is first class and the bolt works very smoothly.

I've also got to decide what to put on it. Another .35 Whelen is one consideration or I have a nice 8mm barrel I could make into a 8mm-06 which would put it pretty close to an .338-06 for a lot less money.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I picked up a commercial FN .30-06 rifle made in 1951 at the Eagle River gun show today for $230. The barrel had some serious pitting on the muzzle end - it's probably junk - and the action had a few areas of minor pitting that I can probably work out but was about ew mechanically. The stock needed refinishing and had a repairable crack that will be barely noticeable.

Are there any negatives to these early FN commercial action other than the trigger and that they are not drilled and tapped for a scope? The workmanship is first class and the bolt works very smoothly.

I've also got to decide what to put on it. Another .35 Whelen is one consideration or I have a nice 8mm barrel I could make into a 8mm-06 which would put it pretty close to an .338-06 for a lot less money.
    8mm-06 sounds good to me. It's an American Cartridge, isn't it?

AND, a good barrel doesn't go to waste.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Since you already have an 8mm barrel, i would go that route. If I was buying a new barrel, I'd go 7X57. Something about a tuned up FN Mauser in 7X57 that makes me weak in the knees, but Im a nostalgic goof like that.

Quote Originally Posted by TomM View Post
    If I was buying a new barrel, I'd go 7X57. Something about a tuned up FN Mauser in 7X57 that makes me weak in the knees, but Im a nostalgic goof like that.
    Me too.
    As a matter of recent fact, I just had a 1935 Chilean Mauser 98 in 7x57 Sporterized. New stock from scratch. New Shilen barrel. Newtrigger, safety, bluing, and the usual other stuff. AND, a fine job done on everything.

I've wanted something like this since the early 60s, and NOW, I have ARRIVED.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Default 7x57

The 7x57 sounds like an excellent choice - I haven't had one in years.

No - I take that back - I have a Spanish Mauser barreled action I've never shot.

But a nice 7x57 on a M98 would be fun - I have a bunch of bullets and reloading dies already.

Who did your Mauser Smitty? Sounds like a nice but pricey piece.

And you must be getting old like me. I had a M93 mauser 7x57 way back about then. I think I paid $7 or $8 for it. When I cleaned it up I found the bottom of the butt stock was black from blood stains and had teeth marks all over just above the rusty butt plate. I sure it could tell many a gruesome tale.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Me too.
    As a matter of recent fact, I just had a 1935 Chilean Mauser 98 in 7x57 Sporterized. New stock from scratch. New Shilen barrel. Newtrigger, safety, bluing, and the usual other stuff. AND, a fine job done on everything.

I've wanted something like this since the early 60s, and NOW, I have ARRIVED.

Smitty of the North
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

C'mon Smitty dont tease us, post some pics.

Also curious if someone in state did the work. I dont know of anyone doing blueing and stockwork in state, would be nice.

Default Bluing

Last time I was in AK Custon Firearms Steve said he was now doing parkerizing and I think bluing also.

I've got the tanks but no bluing chemicals - I used to do bluing and parkerizing years ago. The bluing part isn't too hard - like painting the preparation is the hard and important part. There is nothing like a carefully hand finished and polished firearm in a nice stock. You just can't do some things on a polishing wheel.

C'mon Smitty dont tease us, post some pics.

Also curious if someone in state did the work. I dont know of anyone doing blueing and stockwork in state, would be nice.

Thats good news, Steve does good work and is a nice guy to work with. Thanks Tom.

The work on my rifle was done by a guy in Missouri, not far from where I grew up.

I'll try to get a picture or two posted. I'm really happy with this rifle.

7x57 is my favorite cartridge. I've owned others over the years, mostly Military 93 or 95. This is not to mention, my wife's Ruger.

Recently, I've seen one magazine article after another, and am hearing people mention the 7x57. I've been wondering if there is some kinda renewed interest in it.

The cost wasn't too bad at all, and it makes me feel like one of the beeg boys. You know, like some of the guys that post on this forum.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Default I guess I should have used my wife's camera.

Here it is, the only picture that turned out halfway decent.

I asked for the comb and cheekpiece, and some other things, but sorta let the guy do what he thought was best on the rest.

Smitty of the North
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You can't out-give God.

Default Nice rifle - not so nice picture

Looks like a nice rifle best I can judge from the sorry picture- + congradulations!

I hope it shoots better than your wife's camera

Here it is, the only picture that turned out halfway decent.

I asked for the comb and cheekpiece, and some other things, but sorta let the guy do what he thought was best on the rest.

Smitty of the North

Smitty of the North
    Very nice looking rifle Smitty. I let my 7x57 go (it was nothing like yours) maybe 12 years ago. There has been a yearning in my heart to replace it since then, but I've just not gotten around to it. Maybe one day I'll arrive as well.

Wink nice gun

It looks like a nice rifle from what I can take from the picture.
    Early to bed
    Early to Rise
    Fish all day
    Make up lies

Looks very nice. I like the dark walnut and tasteful checkering.

What kind of sling is that. I like it, simple.

Looks very nice. I like the dark walnut and tasteful checkering.

What kind of sling is that. I like it, simple.
    I like it. It's more like quality than fancy. I'm gonna try and make some better pictures.

The sling is a plain ole leather strap. I've ordered a CUSTOM Plain Ole Leather Strap, type sling from Dave Johnston. It will have NO METAL, and fasten with leather laces.

It shoots purty good so far. Sometimes, I can get a one inch group at 100 yards. I'm trying loads with W760/H414, and H4831 .

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Thats weird, I e-mailed David last year inquiring about a "plain leather strap, with no harware", I was going to provide swivels and a length, but never heard from him. Perhaps I'll give it another shot.

I am with you on the quality over fancy part. Mighty nice.

Thats weird, I e-mailed David last year inquiring about a "plain leather strap, with no harware", I was going to provide swivels and a length, but never heard from him. Perhaps I'll give it another shot.

I am with you on the quality over fancy part. Mighty nice.
    I seen'im at the Gunshow, and later managed to catch him at his shop on the way home from the range, and make the order.

He was extremely busy. He said there was gonna be a write-up about his "Guides Choice" Holsters in the next "American Hangunner".

He hasn't called me either.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Why not a .338-06? The barrel is already pitted, and the stock is cracked. I would buy a nice synthetic stock for it, and a new barrel.

Default .338-06

A .338-06 is a possibility. I also have .35 Whelen barrel on a military action I could pull off and put on it. If the barrel wasn't so bad I'd consider getting it rebored to an .338-06 or whelen but the last 12" or so are really bad inside and out.

The stock is cracked but not too bad - I can repair it and refinish it (along with about a hundred other projects )

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    Why not a .338-06? The barrel is already pitted, and the stock is cracked. I would buy a nice synthetic stock for it, and a new barrel.

I too picked up a Higgins Model 50 Commercial Mauser bout 4 yrs. back at the UAF gun show in the .30-338 caliber. Had Satterleee change out the trigger and "massage" the rails....really a neat lil' gun. Thus far it shoots the Woodleigh 240 grn. PP @ 100 yds in a clover leaf at roughly 2560fps if I recall. It does not seem to like either the 180 or 200 Partitions of late nor the 200 grn TSX......been thinking a 416 Taylor lately.... just for grins.

a nice receiver you have.....

regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast