Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions about listing guns on homeowners insurance

Default Opinions about listing guns on homeowners insurance

My wife thought it would be a good idea to add my guns to our homeowners insurance policy when we update it. Being a semi-paranoid white male, I'm apprehensive to do so. My fear is they'll want to know the make/model and possibly serial number.

A lot of my guns have "paperwork" on them so I thought it might be ok to list those items but not those bought privately without paperwork. With a potential sin tax on firearms I'm really apprehensive to let the insurance companies and Obama know what I have.

What do you think?

Tim

I think you and your wife are both right. She is correct for wanting to get them insured. And you are a little semi paranoid

The NRA used to offer insurance to members but not sure if they still do. I used to have mine insured with State Farm but dropped the coverage years ago. But with several recent purchases I plan on checking into insurance as well.

Good topic, would love to hear what others have to say about coverages and the premiums.
    Tennessee

Some homeowners policies only cover guns for 1000.00 total without adding additional gun coverage. It's easy to have more than that in one gun little lone a collection.

Check out the NRA insurance. You only need to give the info after the loss

I have a good friend that is an insurance adjuster and avid shooter/hunter. His advice is that insurance is a good thing to have in case of loss (theft, fire, water damage, etc.) but that it can be difficult to accurately insure any type of collectible items, firearms included. I've not insured mine, nor has he, perhaps that communicates some of the difficulties involved. I think it is a good idea in general, but I can sure use that premium money for ammo so I just keep buying bigger safes.

Default Here's the NRA link

http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/armscareplus.htm

Looks like NRA does insure firearms. I thought my insurance company said it would cost me .25c per $500 for an item. To insure $5000 worth of guns would cost about $80 through the NRA (annually) and pennies on the dollar through the homeowners plan-though I'm nearly sure (but not certain) that they'll want info.

Tim

Why don't you call your insurance agent? Most of mine are on the policy. There are a few things that I don't want any kind of paper trail for. They would be a loss if anything happened, though it would have to be one hell of a fire to burn my safe.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I like your thread starter, Tim. It prompted me to ask my wife (who handles all that stuff) if my guns were covered by our homeowner's insurance, but she didn't know.

I also went to the NRA site to see what they provide through membership and support, and I was just about to copy the same link that you posted. From what I read, it's pennies on the dollar, and the requirement to provide additional information is when a single firearm exceeds $2500.

I've always felt that I was in good hands...with Cannon Safes. However, I may have to reassess.

Doc (Chuck)

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well Tim let me put it to you this way..

Mothers day 2003 we lost out entire house to fire...

had my guns been in a safe they would have been lost due to heat and no fire service...

i had 43,000 in guns depreciated into abut 6500.00 by the insurance co as they were not on the policy individually..

i was able to show proof of purchase by going to the FFLs they came from but we only got a few back with the money...

any one that depends on a safe keep this in mind...

30 min max... that is IF the fire truck will be able to cool around it.

our house went over 7000 deg F. and melted every thing. to puddles...

a safe is not designed to with stand the force of an entire UN-fought fire if you doubt that ... talk to your insurance agent and the safe manufacture. put them on an exterior wall so they can be cooled.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    well Tim let me put it to you this way..

Mothers day 2003 we lost out entire house to fire...

had my guns been in a safe they would have been lost due to heat and no fire service...

i had 43,000 in guns depreciated into abut 6500.00 by the insurance co as they were not on the policy individually..

i was able to show proof of purchase by going to the FFLs they came from but we only got a few back with the money...

any one that depends on a safe keep this in mind...

30 min max... that is IF the fire truck will be able to cool around it.

our house went over 7000 deg F. and melted every thing. to puddles...

a safe is not designed to with stand the force of an entire UN-fought fire if you doubt that ... talk to your insurance agent and the safe manufacture. put them on an exterior wall so they can be cooled.
    That's a sad story Andy...I appreciate you telling it to us. I personally don't have fire protection confidence in my safe, regardless of its rating, because of the very reasons you mentioned. My gun safe(s) are to make it really hard to steal from me.

I do have a question for you Andy, if you don't mind...you can PM me if you prefer. I know that you reload, like many of us who are members of this forum, did your homeowners insurance give you any static about having flammables (powder) in your home? I've wondered about that from time to time. Thanks in advance.

Doc (Chuck)

www.collectinsure.com

Collectibles Insurance Company
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Why don't you call your insurance agent? Most of mine are on the policy. There are a few things that I don't want any kind of paper trail for. They would be a loss if anything happened, though it would have to be one hell of a fire to burn my safe.
    From your post I'm assuming that you did have to disclose info on your firearms to your insurance company.

Yep, were going to add a few things to the policy and that's why I have questions about the gun issue. I'm going to call the ins. company on Monday to ask about what info they want.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by 375AIJGS View Post
    Some homeowners policies only cover guns for 1000.00 total without adding additional gun coverage. It's easy to have more than that in one gun little lone a collection.
    I think my wife said that's what we have now, without any disclosure of firearms.

Tim

Default Personal Articles

Ask them about the personal articles policy. I think this covers anything from loss in the field to home.

Please keep us posted.

my insurance company insured the value of firearms to $2000. Anything over that had to be listed by serial number. My agent has a listing of my guns and scopes by make, model, caliber and serial number. I also have detailed pictures should they ever be needed. There were also two policys available, one for North American coverage (US and Canada) and also a worldwide coverage. Individual guns could be selected for worldwide coverage if I was ever lucky enough to be able to travel overseas to hunt.

My friend had a house fire (ARSON, set by his ex=wife) they had proof but it got thrown out of court on some sort of cheap deal that was made. Any way his brother had a Dillon 650 1/2 dz sets of dies, boxes of bullets, about 10k of primers, and 30 lbs of powder, plus a lot of odds and ends that we reloaders seem to gather. Anyway his insurance covered all his brothers loading stuff. I was working at a gun shop at the time and after his brother ordered all the stuff he brought in a check from the ins. co. to cover all his stuff. No firearms were involved as they were in a part of the house that was not involved in the fire.
    P.S. my budies ex, moved out of the country a couple weeks after the fire.

Gun Runner

I talked to the collectors insurance folks in MD this AM noted above. Their rates kick the NRA rates in the butt and the guns are covered when in transit, etc. You do not have to submit a list other than for individual pieces valued over 5K. Just to give an idea, for $50K of coverage the price is about $260 a year. Actual 2009 rates are a little higher. Whatever the case, they're very reasonable in my book.

http://www.collectinsure.com/rates/2...rRateSheet.pdf

Exclusions for wrecking them when you or someone else works on them, normal wear and tear, blowing them up in use, etc. Exclusions were reasonable and disclosed on the website.

I am tempted. Have gone without coverage for many years for many of the reasons listed above. The safe can only provide so much coverage.

The lady I talked to also mentioned they cover accessories like scopes and related items like edged weapons.

Interesting thread. My wife have just been re-evaluating our insurance, and as part of that, I took an inventory of house hold goods with some estimated values. I haven't completed the inventory nor contacted my homeowners insurance agent, but I have a feeling our insurance is likely a bit lacking, and not just on the guns.

I don't plan on giving an insurance company a list of s/n's, but I do consider it a good idea to have an itemized list with s/n's and photos kept in a safe place. This does double duty, proves what you have if there is a loss from fire, and also if you get robbed you can provide a list to the police.

Default When I insured my guns

which I admit was a few years back, I only had to give brand, model, caliber and age. It may have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I don't plan on giving an insurance company a list of s/n's, but I do consider it a good idea to have an itemized list with s/n's and photos kept in a safe place. This does double duty, proves what you have if there is a loss from fire, and also if you get robbed you can provide a list to the police.
    Great idea and I had a list when I was burgled in Arizona . . . the trouble was that they looked all over my house, found and TOOK both copies of it! They were looking for my list and other useful paperwork, they were not near as dumb as I was thinking.

Now I have copies hid all over including at brothers houses in Fairbanks and Arizona. I doubt I get hit by the mission imposable crew that can find them all, but I was stunned by what they did last time and the cops said it was just a run of the mill job, not at all unusual. Jerks took my guns safe and all, even ripped down the wall it was bolted to!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast