Thread: Looking for info on RG 869

Default Looking for info on RG 869

It it possible to get a 4x4 into Lake George area, or does anyone know who can fly you in there, If so where are the strips?
    Any info would be great.
    Thanks

Default Lake George

4x4- No
    Plenty of places to land a cub. All over in there.
    Call Meekins air service or Grasshopper. Several other air taxis in the phone book. I recommend Meekins.
    I would guess the good spots will get camps on them today. Better git movin.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    I would guess the good spots will get camps on them today. Better git movin.
    I doubt anyone is going to be flying there today. Wind gusts have been a constant 35 to 40 mph for the last few days. And lots of dust!

Default Exactly, what Supercub said

Visibility is nil, sand and everything else blowing in the 40 plus mph winds. Not that many safe places to tie down if you could get in.

The current report 04029G43, wind from north at 29 gusting to 43 and wind shears.

Its crazy out there and in the arm there is always more breeze. I've been planning the trip for a while, but my plane is not worth risking.

Terry

I parked my truck in front of my plane the last couple days. I swear some of those gusts are pushing 60mph. I can usually see the Knik Glacier from my house, but it has just been a huge dust storm up there the last few days.

May also try Palmer Air, Gary Bishop is the owner. He flies a Super Cub. I was pleased with his service when I flew with him a couple years ago.

Default noted

Wonderer, forgot about Palmer Air. Thanks. I suppose there are more too.

Not everyone shares the same wind limits. Those winds are a fair day on AK peninsula.
    Can discuss that more on the flying forum I guess.

Fact remains you don't want to be last in. It will likely reflect in quality of hunting spot. It gets more pressure every year, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    I doubt anyone is going to be flying there today. Wind gusts have been a constant 35 to 40 mph for the last few days. And lots of dust!

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post

Not everyone shares the same wind limits. Those winds are a fair day on AK peninsula.
    Um.. I Guide on the AK Peninsula. I guarantee the planes would have been grounded the last 3 days.. 20kt winds are a daily occurrence on the Pen. and welcomed, but you get to 40+ gusting, "that" changes the game a little. Not to mention what damage that silt is doing to your engine.

I know a few guys that will be up there chasing Goats on Monday. But, the good thing for Gunner1 is that nobody is up there right now....

Talking thats funny.

"guarantee" and "nobody"

Kinda like saying never and always. OK, because you wouldn't fly, nobody would. You win.

Sorry we sidetracked your post Gunner1. Hope you get in soon. Some decent billies in there.

trying to land a cub in 40+ knot winds is a deadly combination. The airplane flies at speeds of less than 30 knots. They are tied down at gusts over 40, I will gauruntee that. If there not, have fun! That are up there is going to be busy when the wind slows down. Fish and game isued over 130 permits as of thursday for the lake George area.