Thread: Rossi and NEF handi guns

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Rossi and NEF handi guns

Well the good news is the wife is at it again...

the " but honey it's for the kids.".. really can fill up a locker.

she came home last night with the new Rossi Matched set 44Rem mag and 20 gage for the boys birthday comings soon, and as he is currently in Idaho with his dad for this year... looks like i will have to set it all up for him

we also have the NEF handi rifle we bought my daughter last year that is 4 days younger then her son. it is currently in 223.

i am looking to add a barrel or two to it like another 20 GA, possibly 410 and a light rifle or two....

Looking on the site. looks like i have to send her receiver in to have them matched to it. ????

the Rossi on the other hand i can not find additional Barrels for sale on there site.

any one have any experience in either?

all in all i am pretty stoked the missus is going along with all this...

she also let me order the new Ruger Hawk eye in 06 for the oldest daughter last night Stainless on black laminate

looks like a winter full of new scopes and barrels for me
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I believe Rossi uses the same action for all guns and does not have the barrel program. The H&R uses two different frames.One frame for the 12ga. and down plus combos and a larger frame for 10ga. and most of the rifles. If you start with the rifle frame any barrel includeing all shotgun guages can be installed.The smaller frame I believe you can get 12ga. and smaller plus 22 Hornet,223,44mag and 45 colt and maybe a couple others

I can't speak for the Rossi, but have NEF rifles. Yes, you have to send the receiver in to have the new barrel matched. I have always found their service good and prices reasonable.

One thing I found is that the rifle stocks don't work well on the shotgun barrels. This may be just me, but even the straight rifle stock (for open sights) was too high.

I'd suggest you buy three rifles. One with the monte carlo stock, one with the straight stock and one with a shotgun stock and build barrels appropriately. Changing the stocks is a bit of a pain - you have to take the pad off first. How I love spending other peoples money!

Default NEF's are way cool!

Sending an action down for a single barrel at a time can get a little spendy, so I have them do a couple of barrels at a time to get the biggest bang for my ever shrinking buck.

I personally haven't had them do one yet, but I know of people that have requested a trigger job while the action is down there and it's been done either extremely cheap or free.

Now that I think of it, I've got a wishlist that needs to be whittled down a bit.......

And as far as the rossi combo's go, IMO you got the best one of the bunch. Have heard nothing but praise for your combo. The 243 barrel from Rossi has caused a bunch of hearache from what I've been reading.
    Last edited by rdklinak; 10-31-2009 at 13:23. Reason: adding txt

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well since the boy got his Mussel loader cert last year... thats the barrel i would like to get to finish his trifecta on it...

he has a 243, and a 22... any thing else will be a rifel of its own i guess....

the NEF.. well she takes after her mom so will likly stay small framed all her life... which is fine as long as thats all she takes from that side the family

Quote Originally Posted by rdklinak View Post
    Sending an action down for a single barrel at a time can get a little spendy, so I have them do a couple of barrels at a time to get the biggest bang for my ever shrinking buck.

I personally haven't had them do one yet, but I know of people that have requested a trigger job while the action is down there and it's been done either extremely cheap or free.

Now that I think of it, I've got a wishlist that needs to be whittled down a bit.......

And as far as the rossi combo's go, IMO you got the best one of the bunch. Have heard nothing but praise for your combo. The 243 barrel from Rossi has caused a bunch of hearache from what I've been reading.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I know for sure that the Rossi has at least 2 frames. My cousin has the 410/22 and I have the 20/22 and they are definitely different.