Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading Supplies Turn-Around...FINALLY?

Default Reloading Supplies Turn-Around...FINALLY?

I drove up to Anchorage today and on a whim decided to visit Sportsman's Warehouse, to see if things had improved any since my last trip up (about 6 months previous) The last trip I had observed they had exactly 5 pounds of powder on hand. That's right: 5 measily pounds! And...it was powder that was "odd-ball"...stuff not commonly used much. I couldn't use any of it. Pretty dismal and bleak situation.

This time I was just totally amazed to see a display of 26 different powders. Not two or three, but twenty-six! Not quite the abundant variety I saw barely 2 years ago, but a definite improvement just the same. Prices were generally up, ranging from around $24/lb to $27/lb. One type of powder was right at $30/lb (ouch!) Another powder was right at $18/lb (a type I couldn't use)
    Long gone are the days when we could wander into "Value Mart" and buy a pound of Hodgdon's H-4831 for $1.88 ! (circa 1975)

Anyway, it looks like things are maybe (?)....FINALLY...getting better. (They also seemed to have a better stock of brass and bullets as well)

Hopefully, this situation will be the same with other gunshops and stores. I don't like the prices, but at least we can likely find what we need...

Marshall/Ak

that's good. Too bad midway cant ship to alaska. well, i think they can, but it's not worth the price. I checked out fairbanks sportsmans before i left to come to kuwait....it was really sad there. Hopefully it gets better. I will be needing to get some more power and bullets.

That's good to hear. I've had my wife checking for me from time to time and the pickins have been pretty slim. I hope supply can finally begin to keep up with demand. I've still got a lot of bullets/powder/primers I need to buy to be satisfied that I have enough. Then again, I suspect this is an ever-increasing cycle.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall/Ak View Post
    I drove up to Anchorage today and on a whim decided to visit Sportsman's Warehouse, to see if things had improved any since my last trip up (about 6 months previous) The last trip I had observed they had exactly 5 pounds of powder on hand. That's right: 5 measily pounds! And...it was powder that was "odd-ball"...stuff not commonly used much. I couldn't use any of it. Pretty dismal and bleak situation.

This time I was just totally amazed to see a display of 26 different powders. Not two or three, but twenty-six! Not quite the abundant variety I saw barely 2 years ago, but a definite improvement just the same. Prices were generally up, ranging from around $24/lb to $27/lb. One type of powder was right at $30/lb (ouch!) Another powder was right at $18/lb (a type I couldn't use)
    Long gone are the days when we could wander into "Value Mart" and buy a pound of Hodgdon's H-4831 for $1.88 ! (circa 1975)

Anyway, it looks like things are maybe (?)....FINALLY...getting better. (They also seemed to have a better stock of brass and bullets as well)

Hopefully, this situation will be the same with other gunshops and stores. I don't like the prices, but at least we can likely find what we need...

Marshall/Ak
    Learn from it...right?

Doc (Chuck)

I've noticed an increase of supplies in the ANC area myself. A buddy and I bought a 1000 pack of Fed 205's the other day. Alliant powders are becoming more abundant, wish I could find more 748, varget, and other various winchester and hodgon powders. A can of 800x would be nice right now.

Default there has also been an increase in the valley

I was in our new reloading store in the valley and they had tons of powder including every thing you are looking for water gremlin. Bought some IMR 4350 and some varget for my self while I was there.

Anyone see any Fed 215M primers in Anchorage? Need to buy a couple of 1,000
    Tennessee

Where is the new place in the Valley? I'm apparently blind.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishkill View Post
    Where is the new place in the Valley? I'm apparently blind.
    In the little shopping center across from the go-cart track and a bit toward Palmer is what they say, but I must also be blind since I have not seen it either.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default you are not blind

The place is right on the road and I drove by it two or three times till I found the place. It was kinda nice that it was hard to find because he still had every thing I wanted. Now that I am all stocked up I will tell him its ok to put a big sign out on the highway for the rest of you all, That way they stay in business for when I nead them later in life.

I was pleasantly pleased to only pay $18/lb for Unique at the ER Lions gun show.

BTW, Boondocks had some 800x; don't know if they still do.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall/Ak View Post
    This time I was just totally amazed to see a display of 26 different powders. Not two or three, but twenty-six!
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but at my store I had the same experience. I picked up one of the cans and ..... EMPTY. I go to the gun counter and they explain.

Ya, we decided to put empty cans up there so the shelves don't look empty. So, if you want one, just look at this list of what we have in stock. The list.... the odd and rarely used stuff. No change at all other than empty cans.

Hopefully yours isn't the same situation.

KRS

Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but at my store I had the same experience. I picked up one of the cans and ..... EMPTY. I go to the gun counter and they explain.

Ya, we decided to put empty cans up there so the shelves don't look empty. So, if you want one, just look at this list of what we have in stock. The list.... the odd and rarely used stuff. No change at all other than empty cans.

KRS
    I have heard of that in some of the stores in the lower 48 but in both the Anchorage store and Wasilla the cans you see are full. A very good selection right now at Boondocks and last time I was at Great Northern they had a lot also.

Now I just wish the prices would come back down now. I don't suspect the cost has gone up from the manufacture, but someone in between them and us is doing very well.... Just my opinion....

Will

The prices should start to fall now that most people have their hoard all stocked up. The demand will go down and prices along with it.

I moved down to AZ last year from AK. Was at S.W. in Phoenix Sunday and very limited powder selection, and you are right, all the powder on display are empty cans every where I go down here. The actual powder is kept in some secret vault in the back, that is what little powder they have. Primer and bullet selection are not much better. Things are improving, but not as much as most would like to see.

Quote Originally Posted by wholden View Post
    Now I just wish the prices would come back down now. I don't suspect the cost has gone up from the manufacture, but someone in between them and us is doing very well.... Just my opinion....

Will

Fuel surcharges. Overall cost of doing biz. Gov't hassles.

It all adds up.

After scoping out the Tucson stores their supplies are not bad. Plenty of powder, and I even picked up some 223 brass and my prefered FMJ bullets. Wish I was in AK right now to pick up the 800x.

Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post

KRS

That could be, I don't know...hope not. I picked up 3 or 4 cans to read the labels, and they were full. Don't know about the rest. I didn't see a "list" of available powders anywhere on the counter, but then there was this guy standing there kinda in the way, reading through a reloading manual, so after a short while I left...

Marshall/Ak
    "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Frontier in FBKS is starting t get a solid supply or stock of various powders. they have kept RL 22 and 19 on the shelf for nearly 3 weeks now.

Gerry ordered me some 130 gn for the new 06 on the way.. said they will be here next week no problem..

the primer shelf is nearly always full of CCI now..

SW. has maybe a lb of powder. and various bullets.but nothing spectacular
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith View Post
    The place is right on the road and I drove by it two or three times till I found the place. It was kinda nice that it was hard to find because he still had every thing I wanted. Now that I am all stocked up I will tell him its ok to put a big sign out on the highway for the rest of you all, That way they stay in business for when I nead them later in life.
    Ditto.

I guess we both beat AD, to the punch. WHEW!

Yep, it's right there. In an old LONG building towards the Palmer end of the building.

What they don't have, they can probably order. I've got some more boolits on order. AD, will NOT get them either.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast