Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 s&w?

Default 40 s&w?

Who's has one? Thoughts? Opinions? I'm torn between the Springfield XD model and the Smith & Wesson. Ammo seems plentiful from what I've noticed, which is a huge plus since I have no intentions on reloading for a semi-auto nor this cartridge.

Glock 23...mepro tridiums and lasermax
    In the Bush

I vote for at least looking/shooting the Glock first. I used to hate these guns. Now the proud owner of a model 27 and 35 (both 40's). Great guns. As for the caliber itself, love it. Like you said, ammo is abundant and cheap (relatively speaking). Great caliber.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I have a 10mm EAA witness and I am planning on picking up a 40 barrel for it. I have read online that it is possible to do the same thing w/ the Glock 20 as well. For me it is worth the added cost to go w/ a 10mm and second barrel. I like plinking but at almost 40 bucks a box the 10 is not a cheap gun to take to the range, adding a second barrel to my pistol will pay for itself after 8 boxes of ammo!

If you have your heart set on springfield armory, check out their XDm line also...

I had decided to change from 9mm to 40 S&W. I read many articles before doing this & wanted to see what pistols are available. I checked at a couple stores that let me simply hold their pistols.
    The salesman at Great Northern Guns, Yog, brought out every 40 caliber pistol they had, which was a great selection, and explained about the differences between each of them. He then insisted I try the triggers on each of them (which I hadn't been able to do anywhere else). They had Smith & Wesson, H&K, Sig, Walther, Springfield, & a couple others.
    Because of the trigger, I decided on the Springfield XDM40. It has the best trigger by far.

Had a G23 for carry. nice gun. Bought a Sig p229 and I sold the glock. that sig is really nice.

I like the .40.

Smile least favorite...

I own a Glock 35, shoots the .40 S&W round. I also own a Glock 36 .45 ACP , Springfield 1911 .45 ACP and a custom Browwning Hi Power in 9mm. In comparison the .40 S&W is probably my least favorite and the .45 my favorite. Ammo cost, type, and availability is always a consideration, as is the type of pistol shooting it. Most of my semi auto pistol shooting has been with the 1911 .45 and the Browning 9mm. Lots of .40 S&W caliber pistols are "high capacity" pistols so if that is a priority then get one. The Glocks are good guns and have been around long enough to establish a good reputation. The .45 will always be my favorite. Whether your shooting hard ball or hollow points, the least you have is a .45 caliber hole, thats a good thing. I have heard of more pistol "blow ups" with hand loaded .40 S&W ammo then any of the others. I am not sure why that is as it is not the only high pressure handgun round being loaded. I think it is very popular with law enforcement and civillians. What ever you get make sure it is what you want and that you can shoot it a bunch with out breaking the bank.

Default another choice

I may be flamed into oblivion for this, but I would at least consider a Taurus 24/7 Pro 40. Like many people, I had a real aversion to Taurus for their past quality problems, but it seems they have gotten better. I researched many personal reviews of this pistol, at least 3 dozen and didn't read one bad report. I bought it used but like new and was impressed with it's overall quality, fit and finish as well as its features. I liked that it had a manual external safety as well as a passive firing pin safety. The trigger can be pulled through more than once without working the slide, so if you get a bad round, you can just pull the trigger again, which might fire the round. Anyway, it would be worthy looking at. Sportsman's Warehouse had them new for less then $400.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    Had a G23 for carry. nice gun. Bought a Sig p229 and I sold the glock. that sig is really nice.

Yeah, but you are comparing apples to oranges here. I got the Sig P226 Equinox last year and it is a fantastic gun. I love my two Glocks, but the Sig is in a different category. Granted, the Glock works like a well oiled machine, but the Sig is more of a Swiss clock in comparison.

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/Sho...7&productid=80

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

****, that Sig looks nice. Shoot as good as it looks?

I have a Glock 22 in 40s&w. Good gun, shoots well. I am very pleased with it.

I'm not a fan of the .40 short and whimpy (:-)) but the Glock 23 is a nice gone, so is the 27. I had both for a while down in the states - thought I would use them as carry guns. Unfortunately, the recoil on this is sharp and I can't shoot the .40 nearly as well as the .45 ACP.

If you have the chance, compare the two rounds. my son is only 9, but has shot my .45 acp's, .45 colt and the .44 mag, when he's not a fan of the recoil, but the .40 S&W was the only one he refused to shoot again.

I really want a glock for up here and i think i'll just go 9mm +P. :-)

Just found this on the board if you really want a .40 === http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=66529 the M27's really are nice guns if you don't have huge hands.

"Short & Wimpy"??? Ask anyone who's been hit with one just how "wimpy" it is. The 40 is a great performing round. Certainly leaves the 9mm in the dust and is on par with the performance of the 45. The 40 gives a considerably sharper recoil than both 9mm and 45. Most of the 45 guys really don't like the 40 due to the increased recoil, especially notable when going to a lighter gun, for instance from a 1911 to a Glock. Thus, the degrading follow up shot performance.

So I always recommend that one goes to the range and actually shoots these various pistols in the various calibers to find the one they want to work with.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default I'm with you!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    "Short & Wimpy"??? Ask anyone who's been hit with one just how "wimpy" it is. The 40 is a great performing round. Certainly leaves the 9mm in the dust and is on par with the performance of the 45. The 40 gives a considerably sharper recoil than both 9mm and 45. Most of the 45 guys really don't like the 40 due to the increased recoil, especially notable when going to a lighter gun, for instance from a 1911 to a Glock. Thus, the degrading follow up shot performance.

So I always recommend that one goes to the range and actually shoots these various pistols in the various calibers to find the one they want to work with.

Not only is it on par with the 45 but look at the ballistics. 40 will stomp 45 all the time. Yeah everyone talks about the stopping power of "my" 45 or 44 but I'm not interested in that. The penetration on the 40 is what makes it a great gun especially for law enforcement. Wy do you think most LE switched from 45 15 yrs ago. Not the best round. I'll back the 40 though. Dont get me wropng the 45 is a classic but I' more of 40 guy. But in the end it's always personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by 1buba View Post
    I'm not a fan of the .40 short and whimpy (:-)) but the Glock 23 is a nice gone, so is the 27. I had both for a while down in the states - thought I would use them as carry guns. Unfortunately, the recoil on this is sharp and I can't shoot the .40 nearly as well as the .45 ACP.

If you have the chance, compare the two rounds. my son is only 9, but has shot my .45 acp's, .45 colt and the .44 mag, when he's not a fan of the recoil, but the .40 S&W was the only one he refused to shoot again.

I really want a glock for up here and i think i'll just go 9mm +P. :-)

Just found this on the board if you really want a .40 === http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=66529 the M27's really are nice guns if you don't have huge hands.
    40S&W wimpy? Compared to a 45acp?? You lost me when you made that U-turn on the performance charts. The only place a 45acp is not completely out done by a 40S&W is diameter and to me even that is advantage 40 when we conceder the added magazine capacity.

Then you want to go with a little 9mm, just for plinking I hope?
    When Phoenix PD went to autos they went with 9mm Glocks but that didn't last long. They had case after case of 9mm not delivering when they were needed. The case I best recall was an officer chasing a guy through back yards and got attacked by the pit bull that lived in one of the yards. He unloaded a full mag at the pit bull, hitting him 5 times in the head, once in the leg, and once in the hip. 2 of the head shots were with the muzzle resting on the dogs head while the teeth were munching the copís leg!! All the head shots went through the hide, turned at the dogís skull, and went back out through the hide without even slowing the dog down from eating the cop. The dog lived a long and happy life after his owner came home hours later to take him to the vet.

You can have the 9mike, they are fun plinkers, but I wonít bet my life and health on anything less than a 40S&W/45acp or 38 revolver myself! If it wonít stop a dog why would I trust it to stop a crack head or wolf, let alone my troublesome yard moose!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Point well taken guys - the "short & whimpy" is a nickname that came out of some FBI stuff that I saw.

I'm no pro on ballistics, but I know that the .40 has not had the success of the .45. Not slamming the .40 (this time lol), but there have been a lot of failures to perform documented. Now, to be fair, that doesn't make it a worse round, we all know the bad gets a lot more press than the good.

RE: Phoenix - I've spent some time in Phoenix visiting family - NOT a PD i'd want to model anything after. The sheriff's dept is still respectable, but the rank and file (for the most part) don't support the decisions of the PD brass.

RE: the change to .40, I believe that was due more to $$ than to the superior ballistics of the .40. Right or wrong, just like the military, most big LE agencies are supplied by the lowest bidder.

I think it's interesting that among most of the elite groups in LE they still (or once again) are using .45's.

Not meaning to argue - that's the one thing I hate about these discussions on the web. it is an interesting topic though. :-)

Oh, and re: the 9 - I have a few .45's and for a Glock, i think it would be a 9 - not a 40. Didn't mean to insinuate that the 9 was ballistically superior - to ANYTHING. lol

I remember quite well when the 40S&W was first introduced. And being "cheaper" wasn't a consideration at all. It took years for the price of the new round to come down to Earth.

The selling point was the smaller diameter 10mm bullet put in a roughly 9mm length cartridge could be chambered in the smaller 9mm handguns. The first wave of guns chambered in 40 were basically the 9mm model that was given a new barrel and magazines. I think Glock is single-handedly responsible for the success of the 40 with the popularity of their model 22 at the time.

As for terminal performance, as with any cartridge, it all comes down to the bullet... and where it hits... and at what velocity. You certainly can't blame the entire caliber for the failure of a particular manufacturer's bullet in a fraction of the cases where it was used.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Not arguing just shooting the breeze with ya and trying to share some hard learned knowledge along the way.

It was not money that drove Phoenix to go 40 it was lack of money that made it take so long. They rebuilt over 70,000 almost new Glock 9mms into 40s when the ammo was around $2 per round. Till they got it done officers could pack their own approved model of a 40S&W or 357mag with department ammo, it was absolutely about ballistics and as city of Phoenix tax payer at the time my bank book explaned it to me.

I was an MCSO (Maricopa County Sheriff's Office) mounted reserve member from 1985 and all through the 90's. Joe isnít much of a golden boy if you get to know him, but itís a good outfit in spite of him. Any department the size of Phoenix has their chain of command issues (some real and some to placate the media), but there are huge numbers of very good cops working for PPD, many are friends and family of mine. Glendale, Peoria, Mesa, Snotsdale are not too sharp but Phoenix does some fine policing, especially if you knew the kind of gangs and leftist media they are up agents down there.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Not arguing just shooting the breeze with ya and trying to share some hard learned knowledge along the way.

It was not money that drove Phoenix to go 40 it was lack of money that made it take so long. They rebuilt over 70,000 almost new Glock 9mms into 40s when the ammo was around $2 per round. Till they got it done officers could pack their own approved model of a 40S&W or 357mag with department ammo, it was absolutely about ballistics and as city of Phoenix tax payer at the time my bank book explaned it to me.

I was an MCSO (Maricopa County Sheriff's Office) mounted reserve member from 1985 and all through the 90's. Joe isnít much of a golden boy if you get to know him, but itís a good outfit in spite of him. Any department the size of Phoenix has their chain of command issues (some real and some to placate the media), but there are huge numbers of very good cops working for PPD, many are friends and family of mine. Glendale, Peoria, Mesa, Snotsdale are not too sharp but Phoenix does some fine policing, especially if you knew the kind of gangs and leftist media they are up agents down there.
    To be clear, I agree on the officers (they are good), it's the brass (painting with a broad brush here) that I don't care alot for. But that seems to be the way it is in all big cities now. Sacramento is the same now. It seems like it used to be that the head dog used to be looking out for those on the street. Now, they only cover their buts and do pressers.

JOAT,
    Agreed - it's all about bullets and placement. I'd much rather have a .40 and some space than a knife. :-)

Ok, enough with my opinions, they're like you know whats, we all got 'em, and mine stinks more than most. lol

A

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast