Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: loading shot in hand guns...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default loading shot in hand guns...

i have a bit of the 44 mag, shot shells... and kinda like them they are okay in that dirty harry thing i have out to Approximately 20-25 yards...

Where do i get the shot cannister? or do i make it?

and load data for those? i have yet to see it in any book....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Speer

Speer makes 'em & has data in their books. If you can't find the components Midway should have them.

Those are fun, I shot a Ptarmigan in flight with a friend's (Ralph) borrowed 7" Ruger back in August. I couldn't believe it, but they work!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

found the stuff thanks guys... so do i need a certian die for that?

i have not started loading the hand gun cals yet.. but working towards it...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince, a buddy and I plan to load shot in 45/70 and when I was talking about it at Boondock's in ER they gave me some good advice.

After the brass is prepped and primped charge it with specified powder. Then take a gas check and seat it in the brass, load your shot ontop of the gas check, then cap off the brass with another gas check. Roll crimp and you are in grouse killen business.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Vince, a buddy and I plan to load shot in 45/70 and when I was talking about it at Boondock's in ER they gave me some good advice.

After the brass is prepped and primped charge it with specified powder. Then take a gas check and seat it in the brass, load your shot ontop of the gas check, then cap off the brass with another gas check. Roll crimp and you are in grouse killen business.
    that will kinda short the shot in the .44 though will it not?

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post

Hmmm.... Now you've got me thinking about doing that with my 450 Marlin. I wonder how well those would chamber in a lever gun.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Hmmm.... Now you've got me thinking about doing that with my 450 Marlin. I wonder how well those would chamber in a lever gun.
    the shot canisters said NOT in a lever gun... when i looked them up on midway today

meet on face book here

I'm pretty amazed that you are having good luck with them out to 20-25 yards. My experience has been that the shot pattern opens up very quickly due to rifling spin.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    I'm pretty amazed that you are having good luck with them out to 20-25 yards. My experience has been that the shot pattern opens up very quickly due to rifling spin.

at that range they are basket ball to medium beach ball size with 170-180 #9 pellets. they work on grouse.. n0t sure i would do much else with it..

the ones in the 45 capsul are some shorter... i could just about bonk it on the head with the gun

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    the shot canisters said NOT in a lever gun... when i looked them up on midway today
    Well, the way WG is talking about doing it would not use a canister. It would make OAL the same length as an empty case though. I wonder if that would damage the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Well, the way WG is talking about doing it would not use a canister. It would make OAL the same length as an empty case though. I wonder if that would damage the chamber.
    not sure... but WG will let us know if his magazine fills with shot...

meet on face book here

The guy that gave me the advice used this technique with his 45 colt revolver. I figured it would be worth a try in the 45/70 compared to the other methods my buddy and I were talking about. Unique was the powder of choice. A lil Unique will go a long ways.

I would be somewhat concerned that one of the gas checks might turn sideways and lodge in the bore creating an obstruction.
    Just a thought.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

My thought for 45/70 shot shells was to do it with 45 basic brass and simply trim them to 45/70 COL of 2.55 or however long I can get away with and still feed from the magazine, but also use the guts from 410 shot shells and crimp a thick cardboard wad over the top like the old paper shot shells used…..

I haven’t gotten around to dissecting any 410 shot shells to see if the shot cup, wad etc. will fit inside a 45/70 sized case or not, but I am betting that it is pretty darn close. Also Midway USA sells Bertram 2.6” 45 basic brass for the low, low price of $43.49 per 20….. so I haven’t been inclined to drop that much cash until I have finished shopping around and figuring out if my idea will actually work or not…..
    If all goes to plan, I would then just use 410 shot shell load data.... starting a bit low of course and working my way up.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    My thought for 45/70 shot shells was to do it with 45 basic brass and simply trim them to 45/70 COL of 2.55 or however long I can get away with and still feed from the magazine, but also use the guts from 410 shot shells and crimp a thick cardboard wad over the top like the old paper shot shells used…..

I haven’t gotten around to dissecting any 410 shot shells to see if the shot cup, wad etc. will fit inside a 45/70 sized case or not, but I am betting that it is pretty darn close. Also Midway USA sells Bertram 2.6” 45 basic brass for the low, low price of $43.49 per 20….. so I haven’t been inclined to drop that much cash until I have finished shopping around and figuring out if my idea will actually work or not…..
    If all goes to plan, I would then just use 410 shot shell load data.... starting a bit low of course and working my way up.
    Sounds like a good plan but I would use the old type fiber wad not the cup kind in a rifled barrel. With the cup I think it’s more likely to spin the shot and open up the pattern.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

The suggestions about loading shot for a 45/70 got me think'in. I wonder if a standard one-piece plastic 410 wad would work in a 444 Marlin? Then just use a cardboard wad over the shot...?

My only experience with a pistol and birdshot was with a Taurus 45-cal "Judge" using 410 shotshells with #6 shot. The pattern opened up VERY quickly...like about a foot wide at 12 feet. I think it would be ok for grouse up to 25 feet or so.

Marshall/Ak
    "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall/Ak View Post
    The suggestions about loading shot for a 45/70 got me think'in. I wonder if a standard one-piece plastic 410 wad would work in a 444 Marlin? Then just use a cardboard wad over the shot...?

My only experience with a pistol and birdshot was with a Taurus 45-cal "Judge" using 410 shotshells with #6 shot. The pattern opened up VERY quickly...like about a foot wide at 12 feet. I think it would be ok for grouse up to 25 feet or so.

Marshall/Ak
    That one piece plastic wad is the reason the pattern opens up so fast in a judge, it grips rifling and the shot thus imparting maximum spin. If you go with the old type fiber wad you should get a better pattern and be able to load a full 410 load in the shorter 45-70 or 444 brass since it takes up less room. You can even make the wad yourself with a 45 caliber muzzle loading patch cutter or a big leather hole punch from Tandy.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Contender

I have been using them in my .44 mag. Contender for years. It requires a choke, (reverse rifling tube) to be screwed into the barrel to shred the plastic shotshells. I have patterned them and beyond 10 yards a barn could easily be missed. I find .433 muzzleloading balls more efficient on small game.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

T/C made the best 357mag and 44mag shot shells. One must remember that the 45/70 case is tapered and the .410 is not. The case head(rim dia.) on the 45/70,.410 and 45colt are different and could jump the extractor on many guns.This is not a problem in single shots like the contender or revolvers that push out the shell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast