Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glacial bear pictures?

Default Glacial bear pictures?

Anyone have any glacial bear pictures? I have never seen one and would love to.

Default book and photo

Look for the book Blue Bear....it's about a photographers quest to photograph one. That same photographer got ate in Katchmach sp? Russia. He has a totem pole to his tribute here in Sitka.

A guide friend I know took a photo from his guide area of one and showed it to me once.

Interesting topic and an amazing trophy animal if your fortunate to cross paths with one in the right season.

check out alaska stock . com they have 2 pictures of one... weird looking fur bears

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I've seen but one....and he was at the zoo! Beautiful bears.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

you know YEARS ago there was one mounted in the airport in anchorage...

i wonder what happened to it? but it was nearly blue when you looked straight at it and did not have the black face like the one in the phots...

a very unique bear that i remember vividly as a kid...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    you know YEARS ago there was one mounted in the airport in anchorage...

i wonder what happened to it? but it was nearly blue when you looked straight at it and did not have the black face like the one in the phots...

a very unique bear that i remember vividly as a kid...
    Vince,
    I remember the bear and what happened. It and several other critters that were in the original concourse, got a one way ticket out of state on a JAL Flight. There was a piece in the news about how they were going to spur the Japanese into coming to Alaska. Musta worked to some degree.

For pictures of Glacier Bears, all you have to do is Go to google.com, click on "images", type in what you are looking for, hit enter button and walla, all you ever want to see.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default spirit bear

Here is a spirit Bear ... photo was taken this last spring ...

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    Here is a spirit Bear ... photo was taken this last spring ...

Was that in Alaska? I understood that spirit bears were supposed to be in a few drainages in BC, Canada only. Nice pic.

There used to be a glacier bear mount in the Juneau airport near baggage claim. It was about 50% larger than my largest beagle.

I believe that John Latham out of Yakutat may specialize in hunting glacier bears.

Default A BC photo

Chisana ....

That pic was taken along the Yellowhead hiway around Cedarvale ... the Spirit Bear are all through the area from south of Kitimat up to Terrace and up to Kitwanga and over to the Portland Canal ... there are possibly some in Alaska in that area.

I heard there was one out of Juneau not to many years ago north of town a ways right off the road system.

Default Blue Bear

Pretty sure theres a mount in the Sitka airport....maybe...I think

Default yes

There is a small glacial bear mount in the Sitka airport, confirmed.

So how do these color phases come about? The glacier one is very pretty, but the spirit one looks the oddest to me... Is this genetics specifically or part genetics and part weather, or ???

Full Mounts of Glacier Bears that I know of: one in the Airport in Juneau (lower floor), one in Airport in Yakutat, one and by far the best mount I have seen is in the Museum in Fairbanks. There use to be a hugh Glacier Bear in at the Anchorage Zoo, but he was pretty old and it passed away, man was it big.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Full Mounts of Glacier Bears that I know of: one in the Airport in Juneau (lower floor), one in Airport in Yakutat, one and by far the best mount I have seen is in the Museum in Fairbanks. There use to be a hugh Glacier Bear in at the Anchorage Zoo, but he was pretty old and it passed away, man was it big.
    That zoo bear was a toad! A friend of mine was commissioned to life size that bear. If I am not mistaken, it can be viewed at the education center there at the zoo.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

So what is the story of the spirit bear. Can't say that I've ever heard of it.

I've seen the glacial bear at UAF Museum, and it looks nothing like the so called spirit bear in the above picture posted by Muskeg, that bear is more of a blond color phase black bear. the glacial bears I've seen were more of a white color, almost like a blue color, saw one in a lodge not too far from Toad river, B.C. and one was on loan at the bear museum in Montana, from a private collector and was killed in the early 60's. Neither any of the glacial bears I have seen were very big, the one in BC was only 6'. But their hides are very unique. There was an article in a magazine of a guy that has taken two in 25 years, in S.E. Alaska, I believe it was in "North American Hunter" magazine, not sure...

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I've seen the glacial bear at UAF Museum, and it looks nothing like the so called spirit bear in the above picture posted by Muskeg, that bear is more of a blond color phase black bear....
    You are right, the "spirit" bear and glacier bear are totally different. I have only seen spirit bears in photos but they have all looked just like the pic posted by muskeg. The glacier bear is more of a silver or grey color.

Whats the furthest north anybody has ever heard of or seen a glacial bear?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast