Thread: Towards Glenallen

Default Towards Glenallen

I'm thinking about taking the Glen to look for some small game hunting area's. I figured I'd just look for pullouts and trails and see what's happening down them.

I just want to make sure this is not a waste of my time. I haven't really been out that way.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

I have a cabin up that way....

saw lots of bunnies either side of eureka. didn't see any grouse but freinds have told me they have shot some in the area. I also believe there are ptarmigan in the area.

best of luck.

I thought Eureka was up by Fairbanks?

lol .. no you hit hit eureka before glennallen.. lol .. but dont blink youll miss the gas station and restraunt

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Main thing is to get out and look around. Now that there is snow it will be easy to see if there are any around. Check out sheep mountain area get on a trail and walk slowly. Making too much noise will push them out too far in front of you. Even if you spook one with the afterburners on he won't go far, probably in a big circle. Remember this on the trip back to the car. If you see one hopping in front give it a quiet two tone whistle this will usually stop them. If you are trying to get into a better position don't look at the hare, remember camo is his primary protection so if he doesn't see your eyes he believes he is hidden. A lot of times when a hare sees both of your eyes they bolt. It is fun trying to see how close you can get to one by avoiding eye contact. Also remember the more pressure a hare gets either from humans or other predators the more nocturnal they become, so early and later in the day is more productive. Good luck hare hunting is a blast.
    pete

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    And you thought correctly.

Eureka Lodge is heading toward Glennallen. Commonly called Eureka in southcentral AK.

Mike

Should manage to scare up some sign towards the eastern Eureka(Glenn Hwy),rather than that northern Eureka(Parks Hwy,but maybe its on the Rich as well).Course things might be just as "hopping"up that way as well,definitely up the Rich,but them are some fairly expensive bunnies from the anchorage area imo

ak4195.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    And you thought correctly.

Eureka Lodge is heading toward Glennallen. Commonly called Eureka in southcentral AK.

Mike

and no where near Fairbanks.

that is nearly 6 hours from Fairbanks around the richerson hwy

where it is only 1-2 hour north of Palmer taking your time
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Back in the State (MatSu Valley) and I ain't ever leaving!

Default Check out the Richardson / Edgerton

I have a cabin up on the old Edgerton highway and will take off early tomorrow to hunt bunnies and grouse with the three boys
    I'll let everyone know the results.

Good luck to all and be safe.

Jeff

Found a nice little spot full of bunnies on the Glen. I took home four which is all I think my girlfriend and I will be able to eat for a while.

As AK4195 pointed out, they were some expensive bunnies, but it was a nice drive and good to get outside.

Thumbs up last weekend

we were just up that way last weekend. haha we ended up with 24 in about 3 hours. the amount of bunnies up that way is just amazing.
    Ryan from Wasilla

Got a few in the Glennallen area as well last Sunday. Hiked around in an about a 5 acre area...I nailed three, youngest son nailed one and his friend got one. Missed at least 8-10 but there were definitely good numbers. Yeah, it was a good drive from Palmer but the flats & slough get hunted a lot and don't have an ATV or UTV yet to venture far back in areas that don't get a lot of attention. Just gotta find a good area or two for some ruffies...

America...land of the free, home of the brave and infiltrated by the blind & naive.

Psalms 109:8