Thread: re-wiring a boat

Default re-wiring a boat

Anyone have any internet info on re-wiring a 28 foot bayliner with a single gas inboard? I checked with bayliner, they have no useful info going back to the 1978 era. I have googled used boat salvage yards and no luck on a used wiring harness.

Default re-wiring

Try http://pub12.ezboard.com/bbocweb Someone there should be able to help. Did your engine harness fry?

Thumbs up me too

Glad you brought this up I also need to rewire my jetboat. Very simple just a V8 and guages with 2 wipers heater fan and a couple lights and bilge pumps.

Default Polar wire

I'm not much on wiring boats BUT I can't recommend this guys enough... Their product is second to NONE.... -55 to 155 Celcius, resists oil, gas, sunlight, salt, acids and chemicals. May cost a little more but you won't find better wire.

http://www.polarwire.com/

Yea, what WinMag said. Also, you want to be sure the wire is tinned and be sure to not use solid wire. Used stranded.

If you're looking at also changing out terminal strips, fuse blocks etc, assuming they are corroded and should be changed out, go with Blue Sea.

Default Marine wireing

Since you want to rewire a boat you need to use marine approved wire. In addition, it needs to be the correct size and color. Use marine grade connectors and the proper tools. You may think this is over kill, itís not, itís for you and your familyís safety.

If you donít feel confident in rewiring a boat, I would take it to Heavy Weather Boats in Anchorage.

You can buy all your marine grade wire and connectors at Polar Wire.
    Good luck
    Tom

Exclamation

I've performed years of 12 v wiring, including a whole harness for a couple old chevy trucks. Knowing the time it takes to do a clean, professional job I was hoping to stumble across someone who sells partially completed marine harnesses. I have a source for marine fuse boxes and bulk wire, but was not looking forward to spending several days rewiring the fly bridge and engine conpartment. To answer an earlier inquiry, no it didn't short or burn-up, its just been neglected and abused by previous owners and mother nature.

Considering what a good wiring harness will save you, ie time on the water, or much more, it is well worth the time and $ to put in a first class harness.

Boats very so greatly in dimensions that it would be impossible to put out quaility pre run harnesses.