Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: 338 federal velocity??

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Yukon Canada
    Posts
    1,289

    Default 338 federal velocity??

    Has anyone ran 210 noslers or 215 sierra gamekings through a chronograph? if so what velocity were you getting with what powder? Also has anyone used the 338 gamekings for hunting?? how do they compare to the nosler partition? Thanks

  2. #2
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    Has anyone ran 210 noslers or 215 sierra gamekings through a chronograph? if so what velocity were you getting with what powder? Also has anyone used the 338 gamekings for hunting?? how do they compare to the nosler partition? Thanks
    I use 215 GKs in my wife's 338 and with RL15; the chrono shows 2435 fps avg and it is accurate in her Tikka. I suspect I could get 2550 or so with RL15, but recoil is already heavy enough for her and the extra velocity is no advantage for this application. I've tried other powders, but RL15 is producing the most accuracy of what I've tested. I'd love to try some TAC, but powder is scarce here in DLG and I must use what I already have.

    She loves this rifle and would tell you it is an excellent hunting combination, but I am afraid there is no killing report yet.

    Personally, I have no doubts about its efficacy in the field. Impact velocity of that 215 grain GK will be between 2000-2400 fps out to 250 yards and that is further than we shoot moose. The only issue with cup & core bullets is too high an impact velocity on game and the 338 Federal will not be guilty of too much velocity. It's a Goldilocks round, "Just right."

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I use 215 GKs in my wife's 338 and with RL15; the chrono shows 2435 fps avg and it is accurate in her Tikka. I suspect I could get 2550 or so with RL15, but recoil is already heavy enough for her and the extra velocity is no advantage for this application. I've tried other powders, but RL15 is producing the most accuracy of what I've tested. I'd love to try some TAC, but powder is scarce here in DLG and I must use what I already have.

    She loves this rifle and would tell you it is an excellent hunting combination, but I am afraid there is no killing report yet.

    Personally, I have no doubts about its efficacy in the field. Impact velocity of that 215 grain GK will be between 2000-2400 fps out to 250 yards and that is further than we shoot moose. The only issue with cup & core bullets is too high an impact velocity on game and the 338 Federal will not be guilty of too much velocity. It's a Goldilocks round, "Just right."
    Have you tried some loads with 180 to 185-grain TSX?
    For an idea, take a look at the Federal Vital Shock loads:
    http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...e_compare.aspx

    For example, the 180 TSX grainer is still packing around 2600 fps at 500 yards! Not bad for such a small case. The .338 Federal is quite a great little cartridge, no doubts about it.

  4. #4
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    Have you tried some loads with 180 to 185-grain TSX?
    For an idea, take a look at the Federal Vital Shock loads:
    http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...e_compare.aspx

    For example, the 180 TSX grainer is still packing around 2600 fps at 500 yards! Not bad for such a small case. The .338 Federal is quite a great little cartridge, no doubts about it.
    I haven't tried them, but I did buy some 160 TTSXs for her rifle. Should be a low recoil round if I keep the velocity down. No problems with the TSXs, but with the velocity in this little cartridge and my wife's desires for a hunting rifle the cup & core bullets meet our goals. But you are right in that using the lightweight TSXs in this cartridge create a lot of extra options. It is a great little cartridge.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I use 215 GKs in my wife's 338 and with RL15; the chrono shows 2435 fps avg and it is accurate in her Tikka. I suspect I could get 2550 or so with RL15,

    The only issue with cup & core bullets is too high an impact velocity on game and the 338 Federal will not be guilty of too much velocity. It's a Goldilocks round, "Just right."
    It's good to hear a more expert opinion that seems to bolster mine, on this.

    I came up with a lower recoil load for my 338 Truck Gun.

    The Sierra 215 Grain BT, and 71.5 grains of H4831 SC. Velocity is 2548 fps, and the gun has a 21 inch barrel.

    I'm also operating on the theory that a premium bullet is not needed for that kind of velocity. So, have used only Cup & Core bullets for my 338 WM. My other load is the 250 Grain Hornady RN, and 67 grains, H4350.

    Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  6. #6

    Default Tried Sierra GKBT 215s

    I have worked up loads with the Sierra GKBT 215 gr and obtained acceptable hunting accuracy out to 200 yards (2.5" groups), with fps around 2380. However, the best loads I have worked up with my Kimber Montana .338 Federal are with Barnes TSX 185gr, IMR 4064, 45 gr, Fed 210 primers, COAL 2.820. With this load I have obtained muzzle velocities averaging 2573 fps. This load is <MOA at 200 yards.
    CHAPS

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •