Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muzzleloader newb looking for some guidance

Default Muzzleloader newb looking for some guidance

So today at Sportsman's Warehouse I'm looking at the TC stock/frames/forarm assembles for roughly $450 to $499 depending on if you went with the TC Encore or Encore pro in camo. Well then I noticed a TC Encore stainless synethic w/a 209X50 muzzleloader barrel (not the pro barrel that can have the breach plug removed without taking the barrel off, but a muzzleloader barrel nonetheless) anyways they want $520 for the whole thing. Which to me is a total no brainer as I was really wanting the stock/frame/and forearm assembly but getting a muzzleloader barrel for roughly $20 was just a bonus.

Anyways, I figure I'd like to give this muzzleloader thing a go as it could allow me ot apply for a couple permit draw hunts in the future (not this permit period I realize) and might be a fun challenge as well. Only problem is I know ZILCH about muzzleloading and what it entails. So if someone would be welling to help spend my money to get setup with the right cleaning stuff, powders, primers, bullets. As well as maybe even let me drive them out to the range to get some hands on, on how to load, clean and whatnot that would be GREAT. I know people are busy, but if someone in the know might be able to find to time to teach me a little about my muzzleloader it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I'd Help you if you came to Anchorage. You could buy the gun where ever it is and we will find all that you need here in Anchorage. We Could shoot at rabbit creek.
    That was a good deal on that gun, dont worry about the breech plug thing. That is just a marketing tool. There is really never any need to remove the plug on a regular basis to clean it.

Default Smoke Pole

They are great fun. Call ADF&G and find out when the next muzzleloading class is going to be held, probably not till spring. Take the class and you will be certified to hunt with one in the state, just like archery. It is a fun and informative class that gives you some potentially life saving safety rules. Remember, there is no cure for stupidity. When done properly it is a safe and enjoyable sport.

You want to practice before you hunt, because normally you will only get one shot. I have effectively used mine on bear and moose. Unlike the above post I believe that you have to clean your weapon well after each use at the range or afield, not a big deal tho.

Any specific questions you can PM.

Default Also

In the muzzleloading class you will get to shoot at the range and learn all the stuff you had questions about. You also have to "qualify" to get the certificate.

You may be able to apply this period, Nov 1 - Dec 31 for next year's hunt, but will have to be certified before you go afield.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AKbarehunter View Post
    They are great fun. Call ADF&G and find out when the next muzzleloading class is going to be held, probably not till spring. Take the class and you will be certified to hunt with one in the state, just like archery. It is a fun and informative class that gives you some potentially life saving safety rules. Remember, there is no cure for stupidity. When done properly it is a safe and enjoyable sport.

You want to practice before you hunt, because normally you will only get one shot. I have effectively used mine on bear and moose. Unlike the above post I believe that you have to clean your weapon well after each use at the range or afield, not a big deal tho.

+1 on the class Ak lanche!! i took the wifes boy last fall and had a BLAST!!!

i feel it is definatly worth the class time rather then the online course most of it is hands on, and good shooting time too. we used new knight inlines here in Fbks. good class, good info, good fun! 20.00bucks
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thumbs up only one class b4 deadline

To get in on this year's draw, this looks to be the last class:
    http://huntereducation.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=he.available_ecourses&classtype=m

Default Class?

Do you guys have to take a class to hunt with a muzzleloader and a bow? It sounds like a good idea but not required here in Michigan. Would I have to take a class if I wanted to bring my muzzleloader and hunt AK? Thanks

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Do you guys have to take a class to hunt with a muzzleloader and a bow? It sounds like a good idea but not required here in Michigan. Would I have to take a class if I wanted to bring my muzzleloader and hunt AK? Thanks

only if the hunt is restricted to that weapon. mussy only or bow only require certs... general seasons you can hunt with whatever
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Muzzle

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    only if the hunt is restricted to that weapon. mussy only or bow only require certs... general seasons you can hunt with whatever
    Thanks Vince.

Thanks guys!! Yeah the gun has already been purchased so now I am committed I was planning on going the in class method instead of the online and then shoot cause unlike archery which I have some understanding about like I said I know ZILCH about these smoke guns. I did enjoy taking my archery cert class in person as well as the hunter ed, just not a fan of the online thing I guess. Anyways, I saw a couple weeks ago that the class is tonight and tomorrow night for the state cert which is too soon being as I don't even know really how to shoot this gun. Would have been nice to apply for some ML hunts this go around on the draws but I'm guessing its like archery and you have to have your ML cert # in hand at the time you apply cause they will ask for that #. Oh well thats why there is next year.

Rimfirematt, I'd most certainly drive to Anchorage. I guess we can stop by SW and you can help me spend my money on all the stuff I'll need. Yeah from what I gather on my little bit of research is that cleaning between each shot is a good idea, but maybe only remove the breach plus at the end of the day at the range to sight it in and then again at the end of the season, which sure isn't too much extra effort for basically getting the muzzleloader barrel for $20. What day would work best for you??

Default Class

When you take the class they DO NOT allow you to use your own weapon. They will furnish everything! And you can shoot as often as you like. At least that was my experience.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Thanks guys!! Yeah the gun has already been purchased so now I am committed I was planning on going the in class method instead of the online and then shoot cause unlike archery which I have some understanding about like I said I know ZILCH about these smoke guns. I did enjoy taking my archery cert class in person as well as the hunter ed, just not a fan of the online thing I guess. Anyways, I saw a couple weeks ago that the class is tonight and tomorrow night for the state cert which is too soon being as I don't even know really how to shoot this gun. Would have been nice to apply for some ML hunts this go around on the draws but I'm guessing its like archery and you have to have your ML cert # in hand at the time you apply cause they will ask for that #. Oh well thats why there is next year.

Rimfirematt, I'd most certainly drive to Anchorage. I guess we can stop by SW and you can help me spend my money on all the stuff I'll need. Yeah from what I gather on my little bit of research is that cleaning between each shot is a good idea, but maybe only remove the breach plus at the end of the day at the range to sight it in and then again at the end of the season, which sure isn't too much extra effort for basically getting the muzzleloader barrel for $20. What day would work best for you??

well to soon or not go tot the class as YOUR NOT ALLOWED to bring your own...

guns are provided and they will teach you how to shoot it. and cover the other forms as well...

beside you have to go get the info and do the home work first. so you have an understanding of powder etc BEFORE you arrive at the class

meet on face book here

When you take the class they DO NOT allow you to use your own weapon. They will furnish everything! And you can shoot as often as you like. At least that was my experience.
    OH really?? Well that changes a lot. Too bad I didnt' know that I could have picked up my packet and had my homework done before this evening. Don't think I can finish the book work required before the class tonight if the hunter ed booklet is any indication. Thanks for the heads up

Default MZ class info

Currently there are no other MZ cert classes being offered this year. Look at the ADFG web site for the 2010 course offerings in late December.
    Usually classes start back up in early March. $20 a head and all materials are covered for the class. You can always got to ADFG and pay for a student packet and sign up later. The packet has some good information that can help you enjoy that gun right away rather then later. I agree that if your a newbie, the traditional MZ class is the way to go.

Default show up tomorow with 20$

Im in the class on Halloween at rabbit creek, when i signed up there was four people on the roster, just show up with your 20$ and finish the workbook (answers are in the back) I have never even picked up a muzzleloader before.

Default nevermind

I forgot about the written test (need a little time to study)

Alaska_lanche
    You will not be disapointed in the rifle you bought.
    I would buy the same if I was interested in them new fangled type shooters, but I can't figure how to put a rock lock on 'em

I need to take this myself.
    What type guns do the instructors have?

I also see that if you do the online course that you have to use your own gun, this is what I'd prefer, I know my rifle.
    He who tries to tread on me
    will find himself in misery
    and this I promise faithfully
    upon my fathers name

you know i have the cert but still have not purchased the new muzzy to go with it... but am seriously eyeballing that new TC bone colletor

thats SMAZZZZZZY!

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Scott in AK View Post
    Alaska_lanche
    You will not be disapointed in the rifle you bought.
    I would buy the same if I was interested in them new fangled type shooters, but I can't figure how to put a rock lock on 'em

I need to take this myself.
    What type guns do the instructors have?

I also see that if you do the online course that you have to use your own gun, this is what I'd prefer, I know my rifle.

The class in Anchorage used Knight Inlines. They were kind of oldschool. They used a #11 cap, and were like a bolt action, not a break open.

Lanche, was it you that bought the .308 barrel on 24hr?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast