Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: i found someone to make the tank house

Default i found someone to make the tank house

i found a tank maker in anchorage to make the tank house that i allways wanted to build..they build tanks for the oil field companys..

the people at the company said that they could make it without any problems..and make to the sized i wanted and the specs of the tank steel and the entances along with a other items that i want to make into the tank

so i think that i can scaped the money togerther i think about makeing it and getting built inside the way i want it ..

so time a simple idea can take flight and you can get it done ..

This is an interesting idea. Have you seen one youself or did you just come up with this idea?
    That's what she said...

i saw a old magazine article on this guy who made one from a tank home in mich in the 1970s era .. i think it was from mother earth news magazine or a newpaper article ..i started doing reseach on the idea from the early 80s time frame when my wife and i start talking about earth bermed homes and our little earthhouse set up ..

i allways though it would be a neat home and great way to be able to keep the house at temp all year around and not have to worry about heating or cooling a home with it beening buried underground at a level to keep the same temp year around ..

i have been looking over topo maps of the land up there that is part of the family homestead and i think i found a place that part of a hill and if i got the thing bult this is a spot that i would dig into the hill and maybe put it there for it above the so called permafost line and it high enough that i could dig out a section of the hill and make a pit typle section..the three biggest problem that i have it one moveing the tank to the spot to be buried and the second it getting a crane into the area to lift the unit from the trailer and the third is digging the hole without messing up the whole hill to much with the bottom section to hold the pea gravel lined bottom area then refill the pit with dirt to cover the tank home back up and landscapeing the area back into the place as it was before.with the entance is opening thing is left open to go back and forth into the tank house. and that is a small 90.degree turn typle unit to keep the snow from going into the unit .

i working on those three problems as i go ..so i will see next summer time if i can get done and moved into prostion ..

the thing is that the tank would be my weekend home away from the house area ,,when people get on my last set of nerves and i can go there and recharge the batties and have a little peace and quiet downtime ..plus with the basic of items of lighting and other items to be able to have the basic comforts of the home ..

the thing was i wanted to be able to pick up my hikeing day pack filled with supplies i would need for couple day stay and walk to the other place on a trail from the main house of the homestead to my little retreat for a little peace and quiet time weekend ..

for i see here that everybody building there weekend getway house ..my just a little diff and it in the ground that all ..

my brothers and sister want everyone to be one area of the homestead and build or put there house close by each other for someone is not home at the time the other people can keep a eye out on them ..

Are you talking about a steel tank?
    If so do you know what the cost of steel is?

I design and inspect tanks for a living. I've spent alot of time inside large tanks. You couldnt pay me to live in a steel tank of any size. Even with an easy chair and refridgerator!

IMO, you are money ahead to build a stick built or buy a mobile home. Easier to heat, ventilat, control moisture,etc and you wont feel like youre in an industrial coffin.

Thats my opinion, your mileage may vary depending on your outlook and expectations.

BTW, i think you'll find that you not may have to cool it, but you'll have to heat it, even in the summer. You know the year round underground temp in AK is probably a maximum of 40-45 F?? And being underground, you will need to bring in fresh air and alot of it because you wont have natural infiltration.

Sorry to sound like I'm bagging on your plan, just make sure you think thru all the issues fully....HV (noAC), venting flue gases, Access/Egress, NO WINDOWS??...

Holy crap... the moving, the excavation, and the placement of the tank are going to run you 30 grand at a minimum. Not to mention the cost of the tank itself. On the main Alaska highways you are allowed 15' trailer height. On a lowboy trailer you are going to be limited to a 13' diameter of tank if the tank is laid on it's side. Then you have the pilot car expense because the load is over width. Oh, and you have to have a driveway that can handle the weight of the semi, lowboy, and the load. Might was well tack on another 50 grand for road building to get to your hill.

For that price you could build a fully custom 16x20 stick frame cabin with nice deck to sit and drink beer on.

my brothers and sister want everyone to be one area of the homestead and build or put there house close by each other for someone is not home at the time the other people can keep a eye out on them ..
    You are going to live on the same property as your relations? That's more nuts than the tank idea
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

the whole tank home idea was to get away from makeing use of wood as a heating souce in cold weather ..with the tank at the propler depth in the earth the temp would be at 60.degrees without anyone one in the house..with a person in the house would bring it up about 64 degrees with running the lights and other items that gives off heat it would bring it up to around 72 degrees in the place ..

this info is from your own alaska home cold weather home center about building underground ..the paper i got is from the 1970s era time frame ..

once i add 12.volt lights and rig and mircowave oven set up with 12.volt water pump for the small shower unit and a marine style pump out toliet unit for use as need and a small grey water toliet flush system with a small one room style studio apt set up for liveing in with bult in bunk and kitchen area with open faced cabinets and other units to make life in the cabin a little easlyer .

the cost is the biggest factor in the whole hairbrain idea of my thinking and just to see if i could do it and maybe down the line i will do it ...

plus i talked to my kids about moveing up there or beening stationed up there ..plus with the way my brothers and the sister feel that it would be better to have one area for the house so a single person could keep a basic eye on the family house when the rest of the clan is not there..

for my older members of the family can not retire intill age 60 as right now with the way things are going ..

so me beening up here and retired and another one head up in feb time frame and other one in nov time frame ..we should have the area covered for a while ..but they will have to move again before retirement back down to the lower 48 states ..

so we are planning to have a area set aside for each person kids so they could build on the land along side of us..

plus the way my oldest talk that way he say villages get started ..

Make sure you pour a big slab of concrete under the tank and have it equipped with attachment points for cables/straps. Empty tanks are highly bouyant and the back filled earth is very porous. If the tanks not cabled/strapped down it can pop right out of the ground during a rainy spell.
    Steve

I'm curious as to where (in Alaska) the ground stays 60 degrees all year. Can anyone shed some light on this?
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    I'm curious as to where (in Alaska) the ground stays 60 degrees all year. Can anyone shed some light on this?
    Any where you can dig a hole deep enough in the ground. I would guest around 300 to 500 feet down.

Wouldn't circulation be a problem, not to mention the staircase?

Im sorry Henry but I'm afraid you don't seem to have done your research. The temps you quoted are for the lower 48 where permafrost is not an issue. I worked on a few berm homes in the lower 48 and every one of them felt cold and damp all winter, your plan might work in Ohio, not here.

A sod cabin might work, your right in that earth is a great insulator, cheap and easy to get but burying a tin can in permafrost is more a fridge than a home.

PS Please I'm begging you use correct English, caps and use the spell checker, your posts are like reading sanskrit, nearly impossible to understand. BTW I do get the feeling your trying and mean well but so far your way off and headed for trouble.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Henry,

The ground where you are planning to build is not going to be 60 degrees year around at any reasonable depth. I'm here in Anchorage which is warmer (no permafrost) then where you are going. Our well pulls water from around 90 feet. The water temp is 42 degrees - year around. That's essentially the ground temp.

I bet you could expect that about 20-30 feet down in the side of your hill it's in the upper 30's. The top 10-15 feet is going to change with the seasons (lagging by a few months).

You will have to insulate and heat that thing to be anywhere near comfortable. As others have said, the cost of the tank and transportation is going to kill you.

Thumbs up

There is a guy that has a connex trailer buried in a hill, with just the door exposed. He is just south of Big Lake in the MatSu. It does not freeze inside but i doesn't get warm either.
    He stores his plow and vegies in it.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Rather than a tank, have you considered burying a couple of steel shipping containers?
    You could have two 8' x 20' containers or even two 8' x 40' side by side and cut holes in the adjoining steel walls to give you doors to/from either container.

I'm thinking you could pour a slab of concrete, put down a rigid insulation then place your containers and spray about 6 inches of foam on the 4 outside walls and roof for insulation and waterproofing. Cut a door anywhere you want and you're in business!

Add a bit of drywall and it'd be right comfy!

Drainage would be a problem though.

Heck, you could do the same thing up on the surface and pile dirt on it, you'd make a artificial hill with a house in it, allowing you the option to put in light tubes or even windows.

16 by 20 foot is a decent sized cabin, 16 by 40 feet is downright palatial, and those containers are built like a bunker.

I'd been considering burying a 8 by 20 w/ foam insulation in my back yard for a while, but mainly as a secure storage area that wouldnt take up more of my already small back yard.

Those containers have to be alot cheaper than a custom built tank, and they're modular, you can add as many as you want!

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    There is a guy that has a connex trailer buried in a hill, with just the door exposed. He is just south of Big Lake in the MatSu. It does not freeze inside but i doesn't get warm either.
    He stores his plow and vegies in it.
    Hmmmmm

I've been trying to figure something out. What's the purpose of living in a steel tank? Is it just some bizarre life goal?

Default Man, this is great reading...

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    homestead and build or put there house close by each other for someone is not home at the time the other people can keep a eye out on them ..
    Henry,

With steel tanks burried a few hundred feet in the ground, it will be mighty hard to "keep a eye out". Don't ya think?

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I'm not trying to tell you it can't be done. If you want to throw $100k at living in a cramped space made out of steel, that's your business. It will be interesting to hear how it all pans out for you.

The "Why" was my question. Little things like wiring (being surrounded by steel and all) will be fun.

I can't wait to see your finished product. When are you thinking of having it installed?
    Is it safe to assume there will be no water?
    Electric?

Would you mind throwing us a bone and discussion ventilation, heating, and electrical usage?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast