Thread: The Fat Lady Is Singing!

Default The Fat Lady Is Singing!

I made one last trip south of Anchorage this morning. I arrived to find almost 2 inches of snow on the ground (even though there was none in town) and almost 3/8 inch of ice on all but the biggest/deepest ponds. I stuck it out for an hour, left and scouted some of the remaining open water, and finally, reluctantly came to the conclusion that my season was for the most part over.

I saw zero ducks. I did see a sizeable flock of snow geese though in the 20 Mile area that have been hanging around for most of the week. I heard a few guys unload on them Monday morning.

I thanked the dog for another great season and headed back towards town. It was a beautiful, blue sky morning over the Turnagain arm when I spotted the coolest bird I've seen all season. A USAF C17 at 500' heading south down the middle of the arm. I just wished I'd had a camera ready or could have been along for the ride.

Potter Marsh was just about completely frozen over except for 2 small areas. Each small patch of open water held a few dozen mallards and a couple of widgeon. If things stay clear and cold over the next few days I think most of the birds will barely stop.

That C17 was going to take a left turn up 20 Mile and go back over to the base. I have seen them do that route twice this summer. They are practicing their low altitude canyon approaches for A-stan I am thinking.

One of my freakyist big plane moments was in 1987 when driving up 395 to Burns Junction in eastern OR. I noticed something wierd behind me on the road and realized it was a shadow. I looked up through the windshield and there was a B52 about 300 feet up crusing the road north. By the time I had the camera out it was miles away.

Cheney lake was mostly ice this morning, but no birds in the open water near the houses.

Too bad I have so much to do in the next two weeks to take time off and check out my for special ice spots.

It's over. Everyone stay at home. No need to go out.
    Might as well focus on football.
    I'll personally continue going out for you and check "down" those mallard numbers for you.

Had my last run..

IMG_0285.jpg

I took the day off of work and headed down the Knik.

Bad idea. I was wondering if I was going to have to abandon my boat and walk out.

Stick a fork in it. It's done.

Wetlands must have access to an airplane to keep shooting

OK admitedly I'm not your normal waterfowler but season closes December 1, I'll keep looking for birds till then thanks.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Access to an airplane.....
    Well, yes I do. But even where I hunt there is ice over most of the shallow ponds.
    Boat access is getting sketchy. But even then in "moving waters" there is still plenty of good shooting to be done. I take the fact that the shallow ponds are frozen to my advantage. That means the birds are looking for open water. So I set up my decoys where I think they want to be or jump shoot where I know they already are. Creeks, swamps with natural springs flowing into them and tidal sloughs.
    I didn't go out today because the area I was going to had 70 mile an hour winds forecasted and 30 for tomorrow. I wouldn't mind but I was thinking more about my dogs who will be in and out of the water. That wind would push the limits of making my dogs hypothermic even with a vest.

Today's ordeal.

But there is still sea ducks until Dec 16th! Even get a few greenheads mixed in.

Wetlands must have access to an airplane to keep shooting
    We dont need no airplane a good pair of legs and a thermos of coffee do just fine. Im in Wasilla, still seeing plenty of mallards around town while most of the smaller ponds are froze and with the wind howling the way it has been the last few days definitly be harder hunting but there are still birds around. Just have to do some leg work find out where the open water is at.

I watched a flock of GH's trying to "fly" in Palmer Thursday. They tried their best and then sat right back down. I am gonna spend this blustery day hunting for a new shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by waterbustn' View Post
    I am gonna spend this blustery day hunting for a new shotgun.
    Benelli Corboba. Awesome gun.

Default Good Picture!

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg400 View Post
    Had my last run..

IMG_0285.jpg
    Good picture Dog

i had planned to try to get on jim creek this weekend and hunt the open water, but the winds came and closed the knick, and I don't feel like bucking the ice across the lake. Looks like my season is over unless i try hunting on the peninsula, which I have never done. Is there any decent late season hunting down there, I've never tried it, I know it can be a bit warmer and I've heard there are birds in the salt around Homer. Any stories about this???? Bud

I couldn't help myself and had to make one last trip to the southern end of the ACWR. All the water is frozen and the birds are gone, gone, gone. I drove by Potter MArsh afterwards and there were a few people out on the ice with skates already.

How many days until the opener? 304 or something?

Hopefully I have enough duck meat to turn into Indian Valley for some pepper sticks. I did that last year and they were yummy!