Thread: RG363 - Port Dick

Default RG363 - Port Dick

Me and a couple of friends got this permit, but have never hunted there. Any tips on access, goat concentrations, transportation (water taxi, fly in, etc.)? I'd 'preciate any info.

Default best of luck

Just like alot of late season hunts it gets even more tricky as far as logistics go. No float plane access as lakes are iced up. Even skim ice in the back of Tutka this week. A decent size boat or good weather window (or both)is needed as the weather kicks up around the corner this time of year. Ive taken several goats out of there in years past but was in october(float plane) or on a 50 plus foot seiner in nov. SHorter days make getting up and down in a day a challenge. It is doable, as the goats are there, just be sure to have plenty of time, file a float or flight plan... Good luck

I don't know dick about Dick.

(Sry folks, couldn't resist on that one - )

This area is a fun place to hunt during the regular season but I wouldn't want to be over there this time of year. You'll probably not find a sane pilot to fly you over. They don't like landing in Port Dick lake during the fall due to the winds but it's probably got ice on it right now anyways. The area is right on the Gulf of Alaska which is susceptable to strong winds and just down right nasty weather. We always start to hunt in an area called Shelter Cove. The hillside is full of deadfall from a wind burst but you can find your way around them. There is room to camp on the beach and it's protected by the winds/seas off the gulf. More power to you, but I don't know why you'd get a registration permit for this area when you haven't done your homework. I'll probably get slammed for saying this by the touch-feely members on this forum, but I'd hate to see you get into a life threatening situation. Good luck and be safe.

Default Beluga Air Homer

Heck!
    I have landed there this time of year and had a great hunt. U just have to time the weather and be prepaired to stay a bit longer.
    John at Beluga Air has an excellant record. I would call him and get a feel for going in. He will surly tell you if it is a go or no go.
    Bring Good Rain Gear and a Sat Phone

over the years i have dropped off a number of hunters who planned to access this hunt on wheelers from jakolof dock.
    only one got one, a nice billy, and it was in late august. most guys have admitted defeat and chalked it up to the learning curve.
    the guy who got one was raised on that side of the bay, and knew which roads went where. none of the roads show on the map, as a matter of fact the only road that does show, the one to rocky river, is no longer passable even by mountain bike, as all the bridges are out and the alders have taken it over.
    i have never heard of this area being reached from tutka bay.
    i have had at least 5 inquiries since the registration tags came out, so far no commitments...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Thumbs up dropped one guy off today...

a forum member on a wheeler, armed with USGS maps, google earth printouts and a GPS, as well as a sat phone. he will call me wednesday to arrange pick/up.

A friend of mine hunted there a few weeks ago. They saw nothing and brought home nothing. They had to pull out early because of a weather front coming in.

Dave- you are correct, the trail from Jackof over to the gulf is non existant. You dropped us off this summer on wheelers and we went as far as one could go. The only way one could go any farther, would be to be on foot.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the information everyone. We are going to take a truck with a wheeler on the ferry to Seldovia, drive as far as we can on the road past jackloff bay, then use the wheeler on the logging roads. From what everyone is saying this is a low probability of taking a goat, but it beats sitting at home wondering at that possibility. I couldn't find anyone (air or water) willing to take us to the port dick side. Again, thanks for your honest feedback.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    i have never heard of this area being reached from tutka bay.

I know a couple of doofuses that tried to go via Tutka Bay once. One drew the hunt and the other went so he could have a partner. Safety first, you know. After a nasty scramble to the top of a ridge they decided the goats must all be on the Port Dick side. Did I mention it was a nasty climb? They could see some goats in the next hunt zone over though.

The second doofus was me. My legs are still sore. Yes, doing your homework is good thing.

we've since gone on many adventures together. It was a learning experiences that made us realise we get along pretty well even when everything does't go according to plan.
    Last edited by AKGunner; 11-01-2009 at 12:05. Reason: spelling, capitals, etc.

Default just picked up my hunter...

he wheeled as far as he could, and then hiked in a 1/2 day... saw 2 young billies but it didn't work out.
    this morning it was snowing and sleeting, so he came down and gave me a call for pick-up, as the weather was predicted to get pretty nasty over the next few days.
    the goats were in the snow, lots of ice and treacherous terrain. no sign of any bears at all.