Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where have all the Moose gone?

Default Where have all the Moose gone?

I just drove 10 miles on my wheeler and didn't see one moose track. Not too long ago if I had driven that long I would have seen too many to count. I was out off of Brock Rd. in North Pole and not one track. I figured today would be a good day to find tracks after the fresh snow. Where have they all gone?
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Default They're...

having their yearly orgies right now...bunching up in groups to procreate for the children...

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    having their yearly orgies right now...bunching up in groups to procreate for the children...
    Yep, they are grouped up and not covering any distance to speak of. If and when you find them you will likely find a BUNCH of them!

I have seen a drastic decrease in the number of moose around North Pole and along the highway as well. The new fence around Fort Wainwright has blocked or rerouted some I used to see. But I'm quite sure that all the cow hunts in the last few years has taken a toll. Hunters that I have spoke with are seeing fewer bulls while hunting the flats, the bulls aren't there because the cows aren't there anymore. I hope they start to slow down on the cow hunts. Nothing wrong with cow hunting, I just think we need to give them a rest.

You don't see guys hanging around the bar long if there are no girls there....Well where I'm from anyway..LOL

Steve

Default Moose

I'm thinking this time of year a lot of moose are in the freezers of hunters taking a long winter nap. The rest are out partying in groups where hunters just don't want to go.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I knew they were grouped up but usually this time of year I still see some tracks and other sign. It was just odd not seeing anything.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Default wolves

maybe like the yukon and bc you have a predator problem?? in northern bc and yukon our predator problem is almost to the point of no return in places. the three SSS,s are in full swing here by everyone i know.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    maybe like the yukon and bc you have a predator problem??
    The predator only has two legs
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Na it is just that time of the year...

and over there in the nopo area the moose's KNOW the COLD is coming into those low areas and move a little higher up...they have been cutting through our yard now for about 9 days

badger, Broadway, moose creek will have a couple hang out right up until the deep freeze but most will push up as the winter devlops.... the hangers will all be young dumb and uneducated...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

my wife's garden didn't too too great this year either, otherwise i'm sure we would have had more in our yard, they love broccolli.

I think its called migration,

But hey what do I know, nobody will collar one down here to see where they go. ( I asked if they did this in the northeast part of 20d, its never been done)

They just see them all bunched up and say, dang there's alot of moose.

Its a travastie, ( this is one thing that gets me going)

Default two legs??

finder how do two legged predators aka hunters effect your moose population??

in peoples freezers

Talking

finder how do two legged predators aka hunters effect your moose population??
    Very dramatically. For every 6 moose killed there are about 94 unhappy hunters. The demand outweighs the resource in a big way, up here.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I'm not eating prairie dogs for dinner. There's at least one dead moose that wouldn't be dead otherwise!
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default They are there

Ive been doing some flying around that area, I live off of Brock so its neet to see the house from the air, there are plenty of moose in the area, you just need to know where to look

Default cows

unless your killing cows and or calfs, the only effect hunting will have is reduce the number of large bulls, your cow calf numbers should slightly increase or stay stable. problem is most areas are not managed properly.

Yukon,

This is a management hunt managed to reduce the number of animals around town.....this is not a trophy moose area.

To bad the 50" plus bull I saw while in anchorage last nite was around up here....... We'd still see bulls AND cows in the late hunt...migration rut or otherwise, they WERE still around...cant say much for these days other then you just dont see them around.

it aint a matter of no cows being around, it has to do with cows being killed. You kill the recruitment, you reduce the population. You reduce the population you see less moose.

Default lucky

you guys are lucky, there isnt an area in yukon or bc to my knowledge that has the numbers that would support a cow hunt. The wolves and bears take care of that.

you guys are lucky, there isnt an area in yukon or bc to my knowledge that has the numbers that would support a cow hunt. The wolves and bears take care of that.
    Sounds like someone needs to take care of the wolves and bears.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast