Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw...

Default Chainsaw...

I currently have a 16" craftsman chainsaw that seems to work decent. It cost me about 130 dollars.

How long do you think it will last?

Can you reccomend a better one for a decent price.

Stihl 029 is a decent middle of the road saw. Parts are readily available and it requires very little maintenance.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default Huskies & Poulans...

are owned by the same company...Electrolux, so you could go that route...either one would be a good deal...your craftsman should do you good...

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Stihl 029 is a decent middle of the road saw. Parts are readily available and it requires very little maintenance.
    Ditto...I have the older Stihl 028, great saw imho.

Another vote for Stihl! Been very happy with my personal one and the ones we use at work!
    "One Last Cast"

You can't go wrong with a stihl or a husky. I have a husky, my brother a stihl. We bought ours at the same time and both have worked well. 13 years and counting!

Ron

I've got a 16" Craftsman. When I bought it all I needed a chainsaw for was to cut up maybe 1/2 cord of wood a year, so it was fine for that. Then we bought a lot in McCarthy that needed a trail cleared to it. I used the Craftsman for that. Worked OK but a bit slow going through larger Birch.

Then we bought a lot near Trapper Creek and need to clear a trail to that. Again I used the Craftsman. Then we needed to clear an area to build a cabin. By this time I wanted a more powerful chainsaw but was waiting for that Craftsman to die first.

Well, I now have a Stihl 361 (which is a marvelous saw) and I still have that Craftsman and it still works. I use it to cut roots mostly now and I still haven't killed it.

Other than lacking in power, it's been a fine saw.

Whats "decent" what do you want to do(with the saw).Chainsaws are like Ford/Chevy the 2 major brands are Husky and Stihl,I owne both.They are both good,lots of models,lots of compromises.My Stihl 026 is about6 or 7 yrs old,ran like a piece of sh*t with the factory carb for 5 or so yrs.Dealer couldnt make it any better,$40fix by myself(new carb)after doing some study,now I love it.My other is a Husky 372xp,fantastic saw,I bought it off CL for $350.Broke it down and cleaned the carb,replaced the fuel filter,rip snorting saw!
    I probably prefer Huskies,but theres nothing wrong with Stihl,and theres a dealer on every street corner.

ak4195

RMK

Default My two cents on chainsaws

This summer I undertook clearing my property for a cabin. I started with a Homelite with a 16" bar. Within an hour, I realized I was outmatched by the trees. (spruce and birch up to about 15" in diameter)

The Homelite was my old "firewood" saw.

The next day I picked up a Stihl "Farm Boss" with a 20" bar. I haven't been disappointed. It's not the lightest saw in the world, but for most applications, it will get the job done.

I also bought a 2nd chain so I always have a sharp one in reserve. Jackovich will sharpen one for under $11.

If you're new to chainsaw use, read the manual, and get some tips from experienced operators. Chainsaws, and the act of felling trees is a dangerous business. Any guess what one of the most dangerous professions was in the last year? Lumberjacks bite the dust with great regularity.

If the saw doesn't get you, the tree will! Wear protective gear.

Stick with one of the larger / better manufacturers for life long service. This means Stihl or Husky...

I have my step dad's Stihl 031AV that can just about outcut anything new in similar bar class. I've had the carb rebuilt 2 times since my ma met him, it will run any bar from 16 to 24 inch. I typically run it with 18 or 20 inch bar, but have a 24 available should I need it.

I have a cheap homelite for trim and that's all its good for. Also found a Poulin Pro (older green model) in the transfer site that is awaiting a bar or other modification for portable winch use (started right up outta the dumpster!)

Both the homelite and the poulin pro were finds at the transfer site, so I don't mind running them into the ground.

Having the right saw for the job is key. You don't want one that will leave you stranded in the woods or getting stuck. It's also helpful to have a spare saw on hand if you need to rescue a pinched bar.

Also, having the right safety gear is always good. I recommend chaps, gloves and face mask or goggles at a bare minimum.

RMK

Talking Chainsaw Action

I use my Stihl nearly every weekend. Today I had a tree hang up in another, and some of my creative cutting ended with the tree binding on the bar/chain.

Here's where it's always good to have your chainsaw tool with you. I just loosened the nuts, and took off the bar. That allowed me to get the bar out of the chain.

Now that the expensive part of the saw was out of harms way, and only the chain left dangling from the trunk. I was able to skid the tree from the butt end, and it came crashing down. I picked up my undamaged chain, reattached the bar, and went right back to work.

Moral of the story: Don't forget that silly looking wrench, it may save you a bundle. I would have hated to see that big tree come down on top of the saw.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chainsaw 101

#1 All saws break down eventually and usually when you need it the most.
    * The best servicing dealer in your area is the brand you buy.

#2 The two major brands are are good companies, but both make a professional and home owner models.
    * If you use your saw for more than 40 hours a year then buy a Pro model saw.

#3 Stay away from ALL secondary brands. Poulan, Solo, Dolmar, Craftsman and any of the Chinese knockoffs.
    * refer to #1

#4 learn to sharpen your chain and keep it sharp, clean your air filter every 4 hours of use and only use fresh gas.
    * This will make any saw last twice as long as your brother in laws saw.

*** Side note: Husqvarna and Poulan are both owned by Electrolux however they are not the same saw and are not the same in quality. Also Craftsman saws are re badged poulans. Also Jonsereds are basically pro Husqvarnas and if your dealer carries them, they are a great buy. You will save about 20% over the comparable Husqvarna.

Default Klickitat...

I hope you not basing your judgement of Poulans on PRE-MERGER experience, & or bias...

It depends on what you are using the saw for. If you are doing any serious amount of cutting, you'll want at least a 50cc powerhead, and a professional quality saw. You can pick up older huskys pretty reasonably. Figure a couple bucks for a carb re-build kit, a new bar and a few chains and you are good to go.

If you plan on milling with a chainsaw, you'll want the largest powerhead you can get, minimum 80cc.

The smaller chainsaws are fine for cutting limbs, but they just aren't designed for cutting trees.

I currently have a 16" craftsman chainsaw that seems to work decent. It cost me about 130 dollars.

How long do you think it will last?

Can you reccomend a better one for a decent price.
    If you plan on doing a large amount of cutting definitely want to get a stihl 028 or bigger or a comparble husqauvarna, parts for the stihl and service centers are more common in my area at least, so that would be something to consider. If your just going to do occasional yard work, the craftsman be just fine dont need to spend money on something that just collects dust IMO. If you do decide to get another saw I would suggest checking at the pawn shops as I always see like new saws there generally for under $150.

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    I hope you not basing your judgement of Poulans on PRE-MERGER experience, & or bias...
    7 years of owning a pro saw shop. Poulans are built in the same way that a home owner saw is built. Completely different than a pro saw. Poulans are a clam shell crankcase, open transfer ports, ulta-restrictive exhaust, low compression ratios and tight carburetors. The industry has its hands tied by EPA regulations and has a fleet compliance standard. The industry uses the home owner saws to make up a majority of its numbers so that the pro saws can keep their performance.

The most important thing to remember: A serving dealer.

Here is a link to a thread I put up looking for a job that will explain my chainsaw credentials. I built some of the best modified saws in the world.

BTW: I am still looking for work up in Alaska with some one who could use my skills.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=64417

One other thing. If you are going to buy a saw buy one that in current production. There are a lot of saws that were great saws and so much so that they out lived their parts availability. The Stihl 031, 028, Husqvarna 288, 55 and other great saws, are still running strong, but almost impossible to find parts for when they do break down.

Default Run it till it dies.

Been cutting firewood with a 18" craftsman saw for 5 years now. It has cut over 5 cords a year to heat our home. It cost $185- new from Sears, here in the valley. Saers and Wal-Mart carry spare bars and chains, plugs, etc...
    Also use it to cut wood at the cabin, clear trails, trim sweepers in the river, etc...
    It always starts, runs great, handles anything I throw at it even after riding in a snowmachine trailer, boat, and on the back of the wheeler. Only maintenance has been cleaning the air filter and replacement of one bar.
    My point is, use it till it dies if it works for your application. I think you'll be fine with your craftsman saw for most uses.
    BK

Default Just picked up a new 031 stihl

a very nice saw.

Andrew, that saw won't last long if it is in the bottom of the canoe!

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    a very nice saw.

Andrew, that saw won't last long if it is in the bottom of the canoe!
    It must be a used 031 as it hasn't been made since the mid 80's. They are great saws, I've had the shops try to buy mine off me for years now when I've had to go in for minor parts (carb / filter)

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast