Thread: newbie questions

Default newbie questions

I am going to start trapping this year. I haven't trapped since I was a kid in Massachusetts. What are the regs about setting traps as far as how far from houses etc? The only thing I could find on this was in Juneau. I'll be trapping in 20B. Anyone know any good areas I could start out with near North Pole?
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

You are never going to get anyone to give a spot to trap near town. You are just going to have to get out and find areas. Setting close to town be careful not to get any domestic cats or dogs. Nothing puts egg on trappers face more then a dead dog in the paper.

I already have a place in mind. I just wasn't sure about any minimum distance from houses or roads. Like you said, I don't want to catch some kids pet.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Supporting Member

Default Trapping area

I know Eielson AFB allows trapping, but not sure if it is just for active duty and retired personnel or open to the public. You would also be well advised to contact the Alaska Trappers Association headquarters in Fairbanks for answers to your questions and possible assistance on what areas might be available to trap in your neck of the woods. Good bunch of people in the ATA and a great resource for info on trapping in Alaska.

You might want to consider going to the Trappers Association Meeting tomorrow night (Tuesday November 3rd) and discuss your thoughts on where to go for in town trapping.
    It will be at 7pm located at the Mushers Hall on Farmers Loop.
    I am not sure how many trappers will actually be there, though, because Trapping season opened yesterday. Usually first meeting is a big one and then it tapers until the end of the season when everyone comes back and shares stories.
    At least you'd be able to meet some area trappers and they could educate you on possible areas and who to contact for those areas.
    Lurker.