Thread: Ruger 10/22 failure to extract 100%

Question Ruger 10/22 failure to extract 100%

So I have a Ruger 10/22 that will not expend the fired case 100% of the time, resulting mostly in "stove pipe" jams. It would appear to me that the extractor spring is in need of replacing. The extractor itself looks fine. Casing are ejected out to about 2 feet when firing, when no jams occur. How do I get the extractor assembly out? all I can figure out is needle nose pliers in the small groove on the sides of the bolt itself. Ideas? Thanks!

What type of ammo are you using? Is this with multiple different brands?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

take the factory clip out and try it with a banana clip from Fred's or walmart...

for some reason those rotary clips cause some issue with mine...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Wink Ammo ammo ammo

10-22s don't like weak ammo in the stock mags, especially new 10-22s with fresh stiff springs. The rotary mag has more up pressure on the bottom of the bolt than most stick mags do so more drag to be overcome.

Same thing as a fresh mag with a stiff spring can stovepipe a 1911 so you drop a round till the follower spring weakens some. But the drop a round trick won’t work on a rotary mag so we need hotter ammo to overcome the friction. My 10-22s like to be fed CCI Mini Mags or other hot 22s from the stock mags and none will feed my cheap Federal brick ammo from the stock mag, but with a banana/stick mag they feed anything in any weather just fine.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Well this is an older 10/22. It likes subsonic Remington and Aquila 60 grainers, and Aquila hi velocity. It seems to not like Federal, so I just bought a good replacement extractor and spring to replace the old one. Also found out how to get extractor out....
    http://www.rugerfan.com/bdisassembly.html

Have you given the action a thorough cleaning? The only times I've had problems with the 10/22's is when the actions get too much fouling in them. A detailed stripping and cleaning of the action, and applying a good lube works wonders.

For a quick and dirty cleaning you can blast the action with carb cleaner, then hit it with a good teflon gun lube when the carb cleaner evaporates.

My suppressed 10/22 will not cycle Lapua, Eley, Moderator and some of the other Euro subsonic stuff, but works fine with Remington sub, CCI and Remington standard velocity and of course mini mags and other hi vel ammo.

Extraction problems can be linked to:

1) rough chamber
    2) weak ammo
    3) weak extractor spring
    4) incorrect extractor hook geometry
    5) powder residue, bullet wax, other crud fouling extractor hook
    6) phase of moon

Sounds like you have the problem in hand with a new extractor and spring. Stick with Remington sub, it is good ammo.

Finally got out to the range after fighting with studying for finals, a sinus infection AND getting married! The new extractor fixed all of the rifle's problems. Shoot all clips and all ammo, even cheapy Wallyworld Federal, 100%. Life is good! Now I just wish I could find the old Ram-line 16" plastic sheathed barrel that was made in the 80's and early 90's that would make that gun super light....
    Attached Images Attached Images