Thread: Stepping up to SLR

Default Stepping up to SLR

Being on our 3rd P&S camera, I decided it's time to upgrade to SLR, a change Ive been wanting to make for a while now, and with the baby coming, now is better than later.

For simplistic sake I don't want to jump into a high end camera - Im no photographer by any means. Ive spent a lot of time and have narrowed it down to 2, Canon Rebel XSi and the Nikon D5000. I'd be using it for family, outdoors and sports, mostly for capturing family "in the moment" shots, something commonly missed with the slowP&S cameras.

Comparison

Quite a few folks I have talked to have said that the clarity of the Nikon surpasses that of the Canon.

I'd like some first hand feedback.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 11-05-2009 at 09:47. Reason: Spelling
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

You can't go wrong with Canon or Nikon. To say one has more "clarity" is absurd. You were told wrong, no doubt by folks using Nikon cameras. The lens has much more to do with things than the camera. Figure out what lens you want, then buy the camera that fits it. Think reverse engineered here. The lens does the work. This is why I chose Canon. They have a ton of lenses. Nikon has many as well, but I was more impressed with the Canon line up. All modern digital cameras are fantastic and more than capable of taking great shots. I use a Canon 40D and love it. Most the guys I talk to use Canon. Does that make it better than Nikon. Yep. Kidding. Point is, this is a Ford vs. Chevy thing if you know what I mean. I would avoid Sony, Pentax, etc.. as they just don't have the lens line up that Canon and Nikon have. And as I said, it is all about the lenses. You mention a child/baby? One lens you need for indoor shots (if Canon) is the 50 mm f/1.8. It cost under $100 and is superb. Check out the forums, Photography on the net and www.photo.net Check out the Canon and Nikon sections on Photo.net. The other forum is all Canon so read in the camera and lenses forums. These two are in the first five or so forums at the top of the page. Great forums. Take your time and read up well before buying anything. You can't go wrong with Canon or Nikon. B&H Photo (website) is a great place to buy from. Also, great website with tons of info/specs/reviews.

Here is a book that may be of interest...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...aphy_NOW_.html
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    something commonly missed with the slowP&S cameras.
    you've been looking at the wrong P&S's then....there are several that are far from slow....

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    I'd be using it for family, outdoors and sports, mostly for capturing family "in the moment" shots
    if that is truly the only use, id take another gander at the P&S cams...you'll carry it around a lot more if fits in you pocket....Im not talking about the little 3x zoom POS's either....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default Unable to speak for Nikon...

as I've only used Canon, & have been impressed with them...people here are "brand" loyal, but I don't have the eye to compare the two, if you read up on both brands, you'll see that they both have pros & cons that only can sift through...& choose...If you want me to choose for you, I'd choose the Cannon Xsi...

i have a canon 20d and have been happy with it. my good friend has a nikon d80 (?) and he really likes it. the glass on the end is what turns a good camera into a great one. you'll be happy with either. like me, doesn't seem like you'll be dropping a whole lot of money on top end lenses. handle both in a store if you can and read up on +/- 's of certain features or button layout etc. quality will be there with either. good luck and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    you've been looking at the wrong P&S's then....there are several that are far from slow....

if that is truly the only use, id take another gander at the P&S cams...you'll carry it around a lot more if fits in you pocket....Im not talking about the little 3x zoom POS's either....
    Scenic shots as well. Abstract outdoor shots.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed