Thread: Montague Deer-swing and a miss

Default Montague Deer-swing and a miss

My buddy and I returned from Montague Saturday from chasing deer and bear on the island. We stayed at the Beach River cabin and hunted from there for 8 days. We saw two deer (does) and killed one. We went to stalk doe #2 and my buddy threw out his lower back excitedly swinging his pack (with deer and gear in it) on his back, so we headed back to the cabin. Didn't see any deer after our second day of hunting. We extensively hiked the logging roads and glassed the meadows and threw out a few calls, even though its early.

For a place "infested" with brown bears (according to the Cordova state bio and Chugach Ranger) we saw nary a one. We hiked Beach River for a few miles looking for bears and didn't see hardly any sign, just some old tracks.

We learned a lot on this trip as it was our first time hunting blacktails, but not our last. Regardless of the lack of game we hunted hard and had a great time together, played a few hands of cribbage, and drank a bunch of beer! Whoever had the cabin previously left a few of Milwaukee's Best (oxy-moron?) on the table-along with a bunch of other stuff. BTW, the cabin was a utter dump when we arrived. My buddy spent his sick day (bad back) cleaning up the inside of the cabin. We also picked up the litter around the outside, we never had a chance to burn all the outside garbage though.

The flight home was spooky. Snow/rain/wind/low clouds. Tim from Natron didn't pick us up as his plane and building took a hit from a runaway home-built on the Soldotna strip (see Friday, Oct. 23's Peninsula Clarion http://www.peninsulaclarion.com/stor...07413709.shtml ).

Thanks to everyone who gave advice on skinning and salting bear hides in the meat care forum too, and to the guys who pm'd me about the same topic. It was a pleasure dealing with the Chugach Native Corporation and forum member DPhillips (Chugach land guy) was expeditious in his email exchanges and answers regarding trespass permits. I was really hoping to get my first brown bear on this trip. My brown skinning days will apparently come at a later date!

Tim

Glad to hear your trip went well. My hunting partner and i were suppoosed to be downt there the same time you were, but the nasty weather kept us from flying out. Looking like we are going to head out tomorrow morning.

Are you around Beach River or another bay?
    Tim

Probably another bay. We arent going to get a cabin, i think we are going to find a spot where we can get up high and spot them from above. Spoke a little too soon, thinking we might not make it out because of the high winds, looking more like next weekend.

It was ugly there last Monday-Thursday. The mornings tend to be "nicer" and then It'd get nasty by 3pm. Our pilot told us that if he'd known it was that bad when he picked us up he wouldn't have gotten us.

There appears to be an old dirt strip around Patton Bay but I don't know if its serviceable. Planning drop-offs and pick-ups around the tides can be tricky.

Tim

Default good job

on getting your one. good luck on getting more. and good on you and your partner for cleaning up after the group of worthless slobs that undeservingly used the cabin before you!

Hunted Montague a few times for deer and quickly learned the deer arent dumb. Generally they are as scarce as hens teeth within 5 miles or so of a cabin. If you have a good tent and can camp far away from any existing cabins you will have much better hunting.
    Tennessee

Default not dumb

Indeed...with sneaky browns around they do learn to always be on high alert. Once the bear den the deer soften up a little. Also the weather makes it necessary to eat and move.

We are so close to great deer hunting.

Thanks for the trip report.

I'm hoping the fellas going there in November get more favorable conditions and some cooperation from the weather.

Snowolfe,
    We heard to do that but really weren't sure what to do. There seems to be logging roads everywhere and we figured we really wouldn't get too far bushwhacking through the pines to get some separation. Btw, there weren't any other hunters around besides the guy in the 206; that was nice.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by dandeo2003 View Post
    on getting your one. good luck on getting more. and good on you and your partner for cleaning up after the group of worthless slobs that undeservingly used the cabin before you!
    I was bitter when we got there and had seen the mess. The table had an old Halloween cloth on it that was disgusting. I didn't want to clean up at first as it seemed it wouldn't matter. My partner and I just aren't that funky and dealt with the inside of the cabin first and got it liveable and then my buddy did most of the outside cleaning.

I am glad that people had left some canned food and such, but there was a lot of gear left-boots, coats, pants, etc... that weren't serviceable, they were trash others didn't want to haul out.

Boy, the impression that others will get from seeing that cabin is important for us. Its obvious that its hunters trashing the place based on the items that are left and the tell-all is the signatures in the logbook!

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    but there was a lot of gear left-boots, coats, pants, etc... that weren't serviceable, they were trash others didn't want to haul out.
    Thats too bad, rep points to you for cleaning it up tho bro.

Glad to hear you were successful and that you cleaned up. I am sad to hear about Natron Air. We flew out to San Juan bay on Montegue a couple years ago with Tim. He is a really good pilot but, I have to say, if the weather is marginal and he says "let's go poke our noses at it", be sure to bring a spare set of shorts along and keep them handy! I would fly with him anytime...he as an amazing ability to stay very calm when the weather is really rough! We were bouncing something fierce and watching our fuel oil cans rise almost to the ceiling while he stiffled a yawn and played with his GPS.

Boy, the impression that others will get from seeing that cabin is important for us. Its obvious that its hunters trashing the place based on the items that are left and the tell-all is the signatures in the logbook!
    This is sad and rep points for you that cleaned up their mess. And, you guys know who you are, the messy inconsiderate hunters that always feel they are the only ones that matter. You guys need to MAN UP! Try becoming a role model for once

I highly recommend Dan Eames with Seaclusions Saltwater Charters to transport you to the island and base from his boat. He knows the area, weather and routine. Plus, he's one hell of an honest guy.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

We did look for a marine charter but struck out. I'll keep that in mind next time. Will boat based charters take you out in late Nov.?

Tim

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by B-radford View Post
    Thats too bad, rep points to you for cleaning it up tho bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    This is sad and rep points for you that cleaned up their mess. And, you guys know who you are, the messy inconsiderate hunters that always feel they are the only ones that matter. You guys need to MAN UP! Try becoming a role model for once

Thanks fellas, I appreciate that. In all fairness I should say that the cabin logbook did indicate that other hunters had found the cabin in bad shape and picked up too, so some fellas know how to treat things that they borrow. Most the logbook entries were from '98-'00 and some from '08, kinda wierd--must be a few pages missing.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    It is really sad when people leave a mess, leave no firewood, etc. My dad taught me something very important when I was a kid. He always told me this: "when you leave a cabin in the wilderness, think of the next person that will come to this cabin. What if he is freezing to death and stumbles into this cabin on his last legs? You should always leave the cabin better than you found it. You should always make sure the stove is operational and there is enough wood and kindling to start a fire with. Someone's life could depend on it." I have always followed this advice when leaving a cabin in the wilderness.

Thanks for cleaning up the place guys. +1

Quote Originally Posted by littleman81 View Post
    It is really sad when people leave a mess, leave no firewood, etc. My dad taught me something very important when I was a kid. He always told me this: "when you leave a cabin in the wilderness, think of the next person that will come to this cabin. What if he is freezing to death and stumbles into this cabin on his last legs? You should always leave the cabin better than you found it. You should always make sure the stove is operational and there is enough wood and kindling to start a fire with. Someone's life could depend on it." I have always followed this advice when leaving a cabin in the wilderness.

Thanks for cleaning up the place guys. +1

Yes, +1 on the cleanup! And I couldnt agree more with litlmans statement. Not that the slobs deserve any kind of defense but I cant help but wonder if they thought they were being helpful by leaving all the extra "unserviceable" gear at the cabin??? Either way, no excuse for leaving garbage...big time reps!

I was cleaning a cabin out one time that had some old gloves, hats, and clothes that were nasty with dead flies, webs, and mouse nests. I just couldnt bring myself to burn that stuff just in case someone needed that gear in a sitchiation.