Thread: Zodiac questions

Default Zodiac questions

Anyone have a very rough idea what a 14 zodiac will cost to rent for 2 weeks, with motor, what weight it will carry and how fast it would go with a 20hp engine?

I looked but cannot find information. I just need a rough idea of if it is plausible for a moose hunt.

No idea on rental costs, but that outfit will plane 1000 pounds without much trouble, though speed isn't going to top 20 or so with a load. Empty with the driver you can top 30 by a little.

Default 15'5"

Hey Don,

I have a 15'-5" Zodiac MKIII GR with a 40 on it. WOT with 2 and a dog and a cooler and 18 gallons of fuel is 24-25 on the GPS.

It is rated for 2500 pounds or so.

This will get you to some more accurate numbers on weight capacity http://www.zodiacmarineusa.com/

If you have a lot of rowing to do I would use a frame with it - they don't row like a Cat and the oarlocks that are on mine are not something that I would want to use for all day row.

Default Thanks!

Perfect, exactly what I needed, roughly what do they weigh, with motor? Roughly.

THANKS!

Default 1 more

Opps forgot last question roughly how many mpg does it get (assume fully loaded full throttle)?

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    Perfect, exactly what I needed, roughly what do they weigh, with motor? Roughly.

THANKS!
    Not sure about current models, but my old one with the aluminum floorboards comes in right at 150 pounds, and the outboard weighs close to that in 2-stroke, probably more in 4-stroke. Call it 300 pounds minimum. I've never measured it in miles, but I can go a full day of fishing and running around on 6 gal of gas using my 25 horse Yamaha 2-stroke. I'm guessing several hours of flat-out running, but have never done that.

Default mpg

I get 4-5 miles out of a gallon of fuel running almost WOT. The specs on Zodiac's website will give you good weight numbers.

I can carry my motor 20 yards and put it on my stand fairly easy - am guessing about 170 pounds or so.

The specs on my old rubber duckie is 265 pounds and I think that is with the floor.

It folds up - but is pretty big if you are thinking of putting it on a plane. The aluminum floor goes into one bag and the rest in another minus the oars.

I am going to take it out into PWS a long ways this next spring/summer - going to see about the 18 gallon fuel cell that they have for the bow......

I am pretty sure that with 36 gals of fuel that I can get 180-200 miles out of it if I travel at about 18-20 mph maybe more.....

Default zodiac ??

Try calling Alaska Raft Connection. They have a 14' and a 18' zodiac for rent with a 20hp it was something like $185/day for the 14' and $225/day for the 18'. I have a 14' with a 40hp and the boat empty the tag says 169lbs. It has a useful load of 6 people/1,500lbs. I dont know how you would get 6 people in it unless you have people laying on top of other people. If you go to your outboard motor manufacturer's website you can see how much the motors weigh. 2 stroke is lighter in general than the 4 stroke.

Thumbs up Thanks A_K_H_U_N_T_E_R

Quote Originally Posted by A_K_H_U_N_T_E_R View Post
    Try calling Alaska Raft Connection. They have a 14' and a 18' zodiac for rent with a 20hp it was something like $185/day for the 14' and $225/day for the 18'. I have a 14' with a 40hp and the boat empty the tag says 169lbs. It has a useful load of 6 people/1,500lbs. I dont know how you would get 6 people in it unless you have people laying on top of other people. If you go to your outboard motor manufacturer's website you can see how much the motors weigh. 2 stroke is lighter in general than the 4 stroke.
    Thanks for the plug, and yes we have inflatables w/ O/B engines. Here is the info:

You are looking at:

14' with 25 HP or 30HP at $185/day
    (these have been sold in our season end 2009 rental sales)

18' with 25 HP or 30 HP at $225/day
    (1 left in outstanding like new condition)

We also have 18' Catarafts mounted up with same engines extra long shaft also available at $185/day.

You asked about Weight? 18' Offshore Sportboat is my best suggestion here when motoring is primary usage:

18' commercial grade offshore is 275 lbs ---- (We have put it in SuperCubs)
    O/B Engines - 25 HP LS 2-stroke is 120 lbs
    Capacity is 4200 lbs.
    Cruise under average load < 1200 lbs is 15-23 mph
    Fully loaded down 12 mph
    6' seas w/ 25-30 knot winds... no big deal

If float hunting down a river --- consider the 18' Cat w/ motor

Thanks again -
    Brian