Thread: 1:48 Twist

Default 1:48 Twist

Is there any thing else that can be fired besides patched round ball in a 1:48 twist?

Absolutely! I have a Hawkin 1:48" and primarly shoot lead conicals, like Buffalo Bullets, Hornady GPBs, and Maxi-Balls. No reason you can't shoot sabots if you wanted to. The trick is to match the powder charge to the projectile type. In short, a 1:48" twist will handle pretty much any projectile you want to shoot.

Yep, its a kind of a Jack of All trades twist if you will. I've only ever had one gun that was a 1 in 48 but it seemed to do both Roundball and Conicals well. Some people However dont think it does either well, but I think that they are purists and are talking it down cause its not traditional. Or maybe they dont experiment with their loads or maybe have no consitancy in their technique.

I look at it this way, All of the production guns (well the sidelocks anyway) come with this twist. If it wasnt worth a darn they probably would quit using it. At least I think.

Everyone is right on. Purists yammer on that it's too fast for round balls, and that's bull. Modernists say it's too slow for conicals, and they're adding their own layer to the floor of the barn. Jack of all trades is a real good description.

Default Twist

Here I assume we are speaking of a .50 cal. BPR. The 1:48 twist can shoot a variety of projectiles. You may find that it likes shorter conicals, My TC Hawken preferred the 320 Maxi-Balls over the 370 grn Maxi-balls; With very significant improvements in group size.
    You may have to experiment with Round Ball size and patch thickness to get the best results, if you wish to shoot RB's. With 30-40 grns of Pyro P and a RB the BPR makes a dandy rabbit and small game rifle, giving 44-40 power.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I look at it this way, All of the production guns (well the sidelocks anyway) come with this twist. If it wasnt worth a darn they probably would quit using it. At least I think.
    Almost hate to tell you this But Traditions uses 1 in 66" (on sidelocks), CVA did on their sidelocks. 1 in 48" is a compromise twist rate, 1 in 66" is better for round ball and something like 1 in 30" is better for conicals.

I learned something interesting from one of the two leading authorities on original Hawkens, regardless of caliber. He's handled lots of them and measure twists. Guess what their twist rate was? 1:48. That was the most common twist rate for all sorts of original rifles. The slower twists came later.

Cool bit of Info there Brown Bear. Thanks for sharing!