Thread: Next question.....

Default Next question.....

I have 16 snares and supports made up. I just boiled the snares and a few conibears in soda water with a few spruce boughs (for good measure). I got to thinking though as I was making up the supports. How do I clean up the oil on the wire that I used for the supports? Should I have boiled the roll of wire first or what? Now I'm staring at 16 nicely twisted up 3' sections trying to figure out how to clean them up. Do I need to clean the roll and start over or is there another way?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

can you just coil the supports up and boil them too. When I use snares with out support wire I just roll a bunch of 9 wire up and boil it. Pack it with me, and cut off what I need at each set.

Default Soak in gas

I had heard that soaking in gas first eliminates those oils, then boiling second, worked very well. Gas for 5 hours or so, then air out for just as long, then boil, then air out. Anyone else do this?

Default 9 Wire

I boil mine in dawn dishsoap and it works good. Plus you dont have to worry about the heavy fumes from gasoline. A buddy of mine does his in the dishwasher but i dont think the wife would approve. Hillbilly

Default wire

To answer your question. YES, you do have to boil the wire. I usually attach the wire to the snares and then boil.

Default car wash

I was told to visit the local car wash for my new #3's and spray the hell out of them on the degreaser setting, it should work for support wire too. I don't know any better but my source is defiantely in the know. The #3's are for cats...maybe that's why this method was mentioned, it may not be the best, but it gets the oil off and curiousity kills (or foot holds) the cat. You might even come out of it with a clean car.

It's too cold up here now to go to the car wash!!!!!!!!!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I found running my traps, snares, etc., etc through the dishwasher is very quick and easy