Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: New to Alaska - Planning first hunt

  1. #1
    Member mossyhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Woodland, Washington
    Posts
    866

    Default New to Alaska - Planning first hunt

    I'm moving to Alaska in April, coming from Oregon. I've posted on here before a few times. But I'm a bowhunter and have never hunted with a rifle but plan to pick up a rifle for some hunts in Alaska.

    I don't want to wait till the last minute to plan for my first AK hunt so I am trying to do as much as I can now. I have bought several books and read them all, researched the Fish & Wildlife page, I understand the general regs and the system fairly well. This first year I plan on trying to focus on moose and/or caribou. I hear a lot of guys suggest black bears for a first hunt but that just really doesn't turn my crank as much as antlered game.

    My biggest problem will be that I will probably be hunting solo and on somewhat of a budget. I'm not sure what I should do, hunt off the road system hiking in or hopefully afford a fly out hunt. A float hunt is probably out of the question for an inexperienced (in alaska) solo hunter. I also understand the undertaking of trying to take care of a moose alone too, that is also another hurdle. I have taken care of a lot of animals, nothing that big though. I'm a good hunter/woodsman and hunt solo mostly at home.

    SO, if you were me in this situation what would you do? What kind of hunt would you plan for or what do you think would be the best course of action for me?

    Thank you

    Riley

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default plenty of time to plan

    Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    I'm moving to Alaska in April, coming from Oregon.... What kind of hunt would you plan for or what do you think would be the best course of action for me?
    You have plenty of time to think about it, unless you can afford the non-resident fees. You have to be a resident for a year before F&G allows you to be a "resident".

    So, as a resident, you could hunt the general seasons in 2011 and apply for draw hunts for the 2012 seasons, at the very earliest.

    Sorry if that's bad news. Maybe on the bright side, maybe you could volunteer to help a resident before then on their hunt, which would start you learning about our unique terrain, weather and challenges... "you're not in Oregon any more!" (soon).

    Good luck - have fun - be careful - and welcome!

  3. #3
    Member mossyhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Woodland, Washington
    Posts
    866

    Default

    Yes, I am fully aware of how the requirements for residency work. I plan on buying a non-resident license and tags and hunting whatever I can.

  4. #4

    Wink Put in Permit for 20A

    Put in for the Drawing Permit for 20A Central Alaska Range Caribou.

    Permit number DC827.

    You can get one right off the Parks highway within a reasonable walking distance and not even have to sleep in a tent unless you just want to. Easy access, halfway between Anch and Fairbanks. Doesn't get any easier than this for an Antlered Animal and someone new to the country without any mechanized means of transportation other than a highway vehicle. You need to put the permit application in before the deadline in December. Big Change this year, so don't dillydally or your will lose out.
    Good luck in the Draw.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5
    Member AkGreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    324

    Default good inputs

    some good inputs so far... on the hunt forum there is a sticky thread on a hunt planning primer... go through that carefully and start asking folks questions about items that have been posted in there.

    the 827 hunt would be a good first attempt as well getting with another resident hunter to start learning the ropes... if you hunt moose please keep in mind the body size and salvage requirements... IE if you are walking in, plan to walk out with up to 800 lbs (or more) of meat...

    though it is getting a LOT of pressue and things are changing qucikly... the haul road may be an option for you for a bow hunter on a budget... lots of info on here about that hunt...

    good luck, if you have any caribou specific questions feel free to PM me... that is about the only animal I hunt passionately...

    Greg

  6. #6
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    I think your most feasible option would be to drive north of the Brooks Range on the Dalton Highway (Haul Road) and bowhunt caribou. Read the report threads on the bowhunting forum to get an idea of what that would be like.

  7. #7
    Member n0g0d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Girdwood
    Posts
    95

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post

    Permit number DC827.

    You can get one right off the Parks highway within a reasonable walking distance and not even have to sleep in a tent unless you just want to... Doesn't get any easier than this...
    My advice would be... Don't listen to Akres.

  8. #8

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by n0g0d View Post
    My advice would be... Don't listen to Akres.
    Have you hunted the area I suggested for the newbie? Do you have a better suggestion? If so enlighten us, please.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  9. #9
    Member mossyhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Woodland, Washington
    Posts
    866

    Default

    Thanks guys, I have read through the hunt primer thread a couple times, bought the hunting in alaska book, have a delormes atlas, and have the regs on the computer. I've taken other steps in learning as much as possible about alaska, the units, and the structure of everything. I know once I get up there I'll be able to get out and do some scouting and actually learn what's available with my own eyes. If I could find someone to hook up with and help me learn some things, that would be awesome. I've been really excited about this for a long time and for it to be this close has me chomping at the bit.

    Thanks guys

    Riley

  10. #10

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    Thanks guys, I have read through the hunt primer thread a couple times, bought the hunting in alaska book, have a delormes atlas, and have the regs on the computer. I've taken other steps in learning as much as possible about alaska, the units, and the structure of everything. I know once I get up there I'll be able to get out and do some scouting and actually learn what's available with my own eyes. If I could find someone to hook up with and help me learn some things, that would be awesome. I've been really excited about this for a long time and for it to be this close has me chomping at the bit.

    Thanks guys

    Riley
    You are already better prepared than many living here. Good Luck with the move.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  11. #11
    Member mossyhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Woodland, Washington
    Posts
    866

    Default

    Oh Brian, yes I have researched the Haul Road hunts and searched through the archirves on that. In the end, if I can't put something together that may be what I end up doing. Thanks

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Exclamation res, are you a mod here? ;-)

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    You are already better prepared than many living here. Good Luck with the move.
    Res, I told Riley those exact same things via PM. Are you reading my PMs there res, and this is just your non-moderator forum id?

  13. #13
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    If I could find someone to hook up with and help me learn some things, that would be awesome. I've been really excited about this for a long time and for it to be this close has me chomping at the bit.

    Thanks guys

    Riley
    What area of the state are you moving to? If you'll be in the Anchorage area, I'd be happy to meet up with you.

  14. #14
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Have you hunted the area I suggested for the newbie? Do you have a better suggestion? If so enlighten us, please.
    I've hunted it. It's a pretty tough area to be successful on foot. Success rates are really low for those on foot or ATV, but are quite high for those who fly in. There are exceptions, but those are the general stats.

  15. #15
    Member mossyhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Woodland, Washington
    Posts
    866

    Default

    The plan right now is to move to Anchorage, it's dependent on work. That would be great to meet up with you, thanks for the offer.

  16. #16
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Just drop me a line when you get to town.

    What line of work are you in?

  17. #17
    Member mossyhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Woodland, Washington
    Posts
    866

    Default

    I'm an x-ray tech but may have to look for anything to fill the void since jobs are so few and far between.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,957

    Default

    Go here: http://alexsys.labor.state.ak.us/job...WyU68WgDwyV8Aq
    Page 10. Good luck with the search.

  19. #19
    webmaster Michael Strahan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    5,767

    Default Ditto--

    I'm happy to assist as well, and would like to second Brian's offer to help. Just give a shout when you get here...

    Take care,

    -Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default Anchorage Hospitals

    Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    I'm an x-ray tech but may have to look for anything to fill the void since jobs are so few and far between.
    Alaska Regional and Providence are our two largest hospitals, plus there are many health care centers scattered everywhere in the Anchorage vicinity, including many Alaskan Native owned-operated health care facilities.

    Maybe a member here works in the health care field and can provide more focused leads for you. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •