Thread: trap prep on coni's

Default trap prep on coni's

Do I need to boil my conibears before using them? Do I need to do anything else as far as trap prep. on these traps? I will be wiring the triggers.
    Thanks for your suggestions,
    Brian

depends what your trapping..marten..beaver...otter....no.. mink..probably ..wolverine or canines...yes(IMO)...

Someone else will probably agree or disagree, that is what i do though.

Some folks will wax them after the first season so they get a little rust on them first. DONT wax the triggers though...

Supporting Member

Default Body gripper prep

I dip all my body grippers to keep them from rusting, but just like with waxing, you have to clean the trigger area when you are done or they will fire themselves.

i use a small propane torch to clean the area around the triggers.

Default nah

Nah. Most Conis are for canines, and those are the most scent wary. Now, if they get some gunk on them that shouldn't be, clean it off, but otherwise the normal scents are no biggie.

I do nothing to mine, and get fox, lynx, wolverine.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Default thanks

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I'm new to this, and very excited about the upcoming season.

I just wash rust and die. I have never waxed them, because I thought it would be to dangerous.

Default coni's

I don't do anything with mine except let them hang outside all year and then set them when trapping season starts, unless there new then I boil them to clean the oil and stuff off.................

I have dipped mine and cleaned the area for the triggers and I have just boiled and dyed them. Seems to work just fine. For K'9's I dip or wax and dye and just clean the trigger area. Anything other than K'9 and you can just about use them as they are. Just my .02 cents Beaver trapping I don't even clean them. Jon

I just die mine in logwood. I do file my dog notch deeper and also file a 45 degree on the dog notch edge for my 110 mink and 120 marten traps. makes a hair trigger basically. Takes every bit of play out of the trigger, making it set off at 1/4 inch movement compared to 3/4 or more with a factory set. Neck catch everytime:O)
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!