Thread: .22 for snowshoes

Default .22 for snowshoes

Should I invest in a shotgun or will by Henry lever action 22 work well enough for them?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

found a pair of laces works pretty well when they get unruly..

why would you want to shoot your snow shoes?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

.22 will do the job.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Up here you will need a 12 ga shotgun. Bring that piecer of 22 up with you and we can make a swap. I'll just throw that Henry in the heap with all the others.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Depends... in many areas the bunnies just pin their ears back and high tail it as soon as you get anywhere near them. In other areas they will run a bit then freeze and give you a shot. If you are using a .22 learn to whistle at em and you will find you connect more frequently.
    For me I like to use my mossberg 500 but I also get a kick out of using my Ar15 too!

I have shot rabbits with a 22 12G and 20g and 410, they all work good. however, a few years ago a bought a 22 410 over under. I mainly got it for the kids and did not think that I would like it. However like another poster said some times the hairs sit still and if you shot it with a shot gun you would waist the meat. When there sitting it's a great time to head shoot with the 22 and no meet is wasted. although you miss a lot shooting with no scope through the thickets. The next rabbit you walk up to might not sit and runs off like a dart that's the time to use a shot gun. Last week my son shot fifteen rabbits this way. However my true thought on it is use whet you have access to ether firearm will work. Just remember if you don't shoot a rabbit in the head with the 22 you'll wast a lot of meat and if you shoot a sitting rabbit with a shot gun from close range you'll also wast a lot of meat

my daughter and I have been bunny hunting a bit in the last few weeks. we also took a freind and between all of us we carried a 410, 22 rifle with scope and a 22 pistol. the 22 rifle with the scope bagged the most bunnies. where we were at it seems most common to spot them frozen in the bushes 50-75 yards away. too far for the 410 to be effective and the pistol takes a pretty steady hand at that distance. but head shots with the scope worked. there were a few times where we scared them up when they were underfoot and a quick shot with the 410 would have worked but the person carring it couldn't hit the broad side of a barn!

all in all I would recomend a good 22 rifle with a scope!

Thankyou for the insight. I might add a shotgun to the mix as well.
    I might get a NEF parder 12 guage if they still make them.