Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska Mental Health Trust Land -- NO TRESPASSING

Angry Alaska Mental Health Trust Land -- NO TRESPASSING

So I'm looking into a goat hunt with open registration permits in Unit 6...

Find a likely spot and do some I.T. recon of the area.

Check Alaska Airlines. They are a go.

Check with a flight service in Yakutat... BRICK WALL AHEAD!

It seems that most of the accessible parts of the hunt in question are wrapped up in Alaska Mental Health Trust. Wouldn't be a problem BUT...

It's leased to a guide for GUIDED HUNTS ONLY.

SO, AS AN ALASKA RESIDENT, I AM LOCKED OUT OF STATE LAND WITH NO HOPE FOR ACCESS UNTIL THE LEASE RUNS OUT!!!

"Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot", OVER!!!

Feds locking us out. Natives locking us out. NOW, the STATE is locking us out!!

This is getting HOPELESS!

Taylor

Thumbs down

http://www.mhtrustland.org/documents...08_closure.pdf

Here's a copy of the closure letter.

What next, fellas?

Taylor

Thats f'n horse ****. Common sense tells me that the average Joe has right to an area, BEFORE a guide. Equitable reacharound...you pay me, I give you monopoly.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I wonder who that guide might be? Name begin with Sam.......

I thought Fejiland started west of there...could be wrong tho..

BS, regardless....wonder what the fee for leasing MHT land is. I know of a bunch I'd sure like to lock up...sad...

Thumbs down

I spoke with the Guide. He was polite and courteous. He stated that even HE couldn't hunt the land, nor can his Assistant Guides. Therefore, the state must be getting a portion of the Guide Fees as well?

SO, If you ask the question... "Is there land in Alaska that only a Non-Resident can hunt?" The answer is YES.

Taylor

Thumbs down

Theoretically, a bunch of hunters can band together, create a business entity ($100) and then go in on a lease and have pretty much a private hunting preserve?

My Congressman and Senator will be hearing about this. YOURS?

Taylor

Now that is pure bs, allowing only guided non-residents to hunt state owned land.

I dont understand. The guide who is leasing it cant use it? Who can use it then??

Oops now i see the clarification..HOLY CRAP..that is absolute BullSSSHHHHH...how can this even be possible??

Time to raise the BS flag on this one.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Time to raise the BS flag on this one.

either that or we just start riding the little bus to work and claim it is our land in the first place
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

gee marc, i'm sure that if you wanted to pay for a guide you could hunt there, doesn't seem to be limited to non-res, just limited to guided hunters....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Question State owner land?

Mark,
    I am also confused by your post....

I am absolutely, positively unaware (which in itself is not remarkable) of how a resident hunter can be legally blocked out of that state owned land.

Although it is a poor practice, I can see how someone can be EFFECTIVELY kept out, by not being able to arrange for air transport support. In other words, often local transporters will not cross into an area used by their buddy, who might be a guide/outfitter. Again, this is a poor practice but it has happened many times.

If this is state owned land, you and anybody/everybody, has the legal right to go there.

So...what is the Alaska Mental Health Trust???
    And how can the AK MHT "WRAP UP" this state owned land?
    And how can they legally sub-lease it to a guide/outfitter?
    (note that state land concessions have not yet been imposed/implemented)

I, along with you, be confused.

Dennis

Default not public state property...

seems to be "private" state property.
    http://www.mhtrust.org/index.cfm?sec...bout-The-Trust

as hunters, we are only beginning to get a glimpse of where the alaska we were used to is going, more drawing hunts, preference points, rumors of "public/private partnership" to fund F&G....

soon enough hunting up here, especially for the "good stuff", is gonna be a pay-to-play game.

in the preference point thread it was commented that any system can be played to your advantage if you know how, and i think that the system we have is being played by the folks that "know how", and they are not working in the interests of alaskan resident hunters....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Marc

I've got a parachute ! You can jump in and float out !! LoL
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I spent some time reading over the pages, seems all of this land is simply shareholder parcels managed by a TLO, right?

The Trust Land Office (TLO) is a small unit in the Department of Natural Resources that manages approximately one million acres of land and other non-cash assets throughout Alaska on behalf of the beneficiaries of the Alaska Mental Health Trust Authority.

Revenue-generating uses of Trust land include land leasing and sales; commercial timber sales; mineral exploration and production; coal, oil and gas exploration and development; sand, gravel and rock sales; and other general land uses.

http://www.mhtrustland.org/index.cfm...&ContentId=606
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

The AMHT is a state run corporation more or less. The state gave (gives) them land and they have the authority to use it pretty much just like any private corp for the benefit of their beneficiaries. I have hunted some of their land but it isn't posted and I am not going to ask. They do all sorts of things w/ their property from lease it out to sell off chunks of it. Just to give you an idea take a look toward the end of KGB on the GIS website. Much of the old military land down there was turned over to the AMHT.
    The good news is that the money they are making by not allowing you to hunt there is being put to a good cause like helping out Anchorages chronic inebriates...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Mark,
    I am also confused by your post....

I am absolutely, positively unaware (which in itself is not remarkable) of how a resident hunter can be legally blocked out of that state owned land.

Although it is a poor practice, I can see how someone can be EFFECTIVELY kept out, by not being able to arrange for air transport support. In other words, often local transporters will not cross into an area used by their buddy, who might be a guide/outfitter. Again, this is a poor practice but it has happened many times.

If this is state owned land, you and anybody/everybody, has the legal right to go there.

So...what is the Alaska Mental Health Trust???
    And how can the AK MHT "WRAP UP" this state owned land?
    And how can they legally sub-lease it to a guide/outfitter?
    (note that state land concessions have not yet been imposed/implemented)

I, along with you, be confused.

Dennis

whata ya mean? whataya mean......

what is the mental health trust..

only the bigest state land grab since the feds gave the natives there share...

when the state of AK got out of state provided care for people with .......

..... DISABILITIES......of all sever kinds the state was paid in land to help set up private facilites... and such... rather then collect cash.. they got stuff that increases in value.. aobut the same time the Uof A got all there.s
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Mental Health Trust Office Land

Is part of DNR (State) however they run by their own set of rules. So basically yes it is state land, but..... and this is a big BUT, it is to be treated as private property, because "Generally Allowed Uses" on State land do not apply to Mental Health Trust Land.

They are mandated to make money for the trust. The feds gave them land to make money with, this lease (even though it sux) is one of the ways they are making money.

For more information go here:
    http://www.mhtrustland.org/index.cfm...&ContentId=606

-sc

Hmmm... this leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but it looks like the AMHT is working within its authority, according to the Alaska Admistrative Code.
    11 AAC 99.080. Closure of mental health trust land

The executive director, after consultation with the trust authority, may close trust land to any use inconsistent with 11 AAC 99.020.
    11 AAC 99.020. Management of Alaska mental health trust land

(b) Trust land shall be managed consistently with trust responsibilities accepted by the state under the Alaska Mental Health Enabling Act (P.L. 84-830, 70 Stat. 709 (1956)), which means that management shall be conducted solely in the best interest of the Alaska mental health trust and its beneficiaries.
    (c) In determining the best interest of the trust and its beneficiaries, and in determining consistency between state law and the Alaska Mental Health Enabling Act (P.L. 84-830, 70 Stat. 709 (1956)), the executive director shall, at a minimum, consider the following trust management principles:
    (1) maximization of long-term revenue from trust land;
    (2) protection of the corpus;
    (3) protection and enhancement of the long-term productivity of trust land;
    (4) encouragement of a diversity of revenue-producing uses of trust land; and
    (5) management of trust land prudently, efficiently, and with accountability to the trust and its beneficiaries.
    So... It seems to me that if the executive director of AMHT determines that public use of a parcel of AMHT land doesn't fit with the five criteria listed above (the first of which is maximization of revenue), he can decide to close that parcel to public access. Yeah. It stings a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast