Thread: Freezer off grid?

Default Freezer off grid?

I want to add a freezer to our fishing shack.

How do you power a freezer in summer months, when living off the grid? Propane freezers are extremely expensive. Can a guy run a chest freezer off of a generator once a day for a couple of hours with any success? Has anybody tried an old propane camper fridge turned all the way down as a freezer? Will a battery bank run a chest freezer and then just charge the bank once or twice a day? I'm looking at all the options I can think of.

I envision using a small 5 cubic foot chest freezer.

We want to start keeping more fish when the fishing is good. We've played the coolers of ice game and it really doesn't work all that well for our needs.

I'd love to here the pros and cons of the freezer set ups that folks have!

Thanks,
    JB

If you can find a used propane freezer, that is one option. We just bought one for 500$. It is old but works great. We used almost two 100# tanks for all summer.

We use an electric freezer for fall/winter/spring. We try to have most of our wild game eaten up before May because it takes too much generator time to keep the temps from swinging too wildly for our tastes...and we dont really need the gen running in the summer with all the daylight.

If you are diligent about adding some insulation (ie, heavy sleeping bag,etc) when the freezer is off and removing it when it is running. That helps alot. Just dont leave the insulation on while its running because it looses its heat thru the sidewalls and that inhibits cooling.

This has been discussed before so you might try a search, but that seldom works for me. I have several friends who use electric chest freezers year round. They do fine all summer on a few hours a day of generator time. Try to keep the freezer full and try not to open it very often. I never paid attention but I'd guess a big catch may require some extra gennie time to get frozen. That'll be easy to figure out as you go.

To add to that...if you can start with it full of frozen water jugs and remove jugs to make room for fish...that will keep the thermal mass up before its full of fish...