Thread: Where can i find Green tip .223/5.56 rounds locally? (SS109 AP)

Default Where can i find Green tip .223/5.56 rounds locally? (SS109 AP)

Can someone tell me where there are some SS109 (Green tipped .223/5.56) rounds available locally? Private sales are always welcome for the right price too.

Try the gun shows. Why do you want AP?

Probably so that he can PA

Default Ss109

I mite have sum. give me a call 242-0968 ANCH. thanks Scott

What does the AP stand for? I can get SS109 .62grn steel penetrators, but no AP in the name.

a lot of people think they are armor piercing (AP) but just have a steel core that helps them penetrate medium barriers better than m193.

Default AP rounds are not steel.....

The NATO standard, , M855 round is intended for use against light matériel targets and personnel, but not vehicles. Identified by a green tip, the 62 grain projectile is constructed of a lead alloy core topped by a steel penetrator, the whole contained within a gilding (copper alloy) metal jacket. The primer and case are waterproof. (See representative cartridge drawing.) Despite the round's penetration abilities, BATF has specifically exempted it from the AP ban.

The M856, identified by an orange tip on its copper-plated steel jacket, is used for observation of fire, incendiary effects and signaling. As with all all illuminated bullets except the new Hornady rounds introduced in the mid-'90s, it is hollowed out at the base and a tracing compound appended. (See representative cartridge drawing.) The perceived requirement to stabilze this round caused the M16A2 to have a 1:7-inch rate of twist instead of the more desirable 1:9-inch. Much longer than the earlier M196 tracer bullets (55 grain), it is designed to trace out to 875 yards.

The M862 Short Range Training Ammunition (SRTA) provides a realistic training alternative to M193/M855 service rounds. With a maximum range of 250 meters, the "plastic practice" round has an effective range of 25 meters, but requires the M2 Training Bolt when used in the M16A2 Rifle.

The M995, identified by its black-tip, uses a shaped tungsten core in a jacketed envelope, and penetrates 12 mm armour plate of 300 HB at 100 meters. It began development in 1992 as part of the Soldier Enhancement Program, and its primary mission is to improve incapacitation capability against troops within lightly armored threat vehicles.

Thanks for all the info guys. Sorry for throwing you off with the AP tag. Hadn't had any responses to my previous queries, so I threw any name out that might get a bite.

Default Ss109

I went out to Birchwood and shot the SS109
    at 3/4" steel plate. it penetrated about 1/2".
    thats not armor piecing. and at .60cents a RD
    it a bit pricesy

Default Thats funny!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ryne View Post
    Probably so that he can PA

You just made my day with that one!

Default Well

Alot of the LC stuff that is out thier is the stuff that didn't make it past inspection the reason it is on the civilian market. Don't know what stds the U.S Military has but the stuff out thier on the market was rejected, for a reason... far as I know it is fine to shoot...