Thread: Youth Drawing Permits Question

Default Youth Drawing Permits Question

I figure if you can't find out a rule on the fish and game website or on the supplement, asking here is typically more reliable than calling fish and game.

My question is regarding youth drawing permit applicants. If you are 15 or under, you do not need a license to hunt. However, will a person in this age group that will be applying on-line for a drawing permit be required to have a license? It states right on the supplement that you must have obtained or applied for a license prior to applying for a drawing permit, so there is a bit of gray area there.

Thanks.

Nope. When you apply for a person under the age of 16 you just put their age in the permit # box. I'm pretty sure there are instructions for it when you actually apply, but if I recall correctly the permit # box will be filled in with something along the lines of "AGE 10".

Default youth

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    I figure if you can't find out a rule on the fish and game website or on the supplement, asking here is typically more reliable than calling fish and game.

My question is regarding youth drawing permit applicants. If you are 15 or under, you do not need a license to hunt. However, will a person in this age group that will be applying on-line for a drawing permit be required to have a license? It states right on the supplement that you must have obtained or applied for a license prior to applying for a drawing permit, so there is a bit of gray area there.

Thanks.
    It should be explained better. Youths can apply without license. If you do the application online it becomes clear. I think there is a place to put in DOB or something like that and then it comes back with AGE10, AGE11, etc in the license spot. I can't remember exactly, but my son has applied and drawn so we didn't get tossed out.

It also says you need a valid license for the TIME PERIOD of the hunt, but the 2011 licenses are not yet available which is the one you would need if you are going to apply for Kodiak spring bear.

Wink

NEVER put your kid in for permits, because He/She will win and there goes YOUR hunting season... Just ask Steve, at Alaska Custom Firearms. He can't hunt for himself for taking his kids hunting on their permit hunts!

THERE, I said it!

Taylor

Uh oh, shouldn't have said that...........

Thanks guy's.

Here's another question I wasn't sure about. Since my soon to be 9 year old can't apply or have her own permit, she can shoot my critter for me under a drawing permit.

If her great grandfather wins a drawing permit for an antlerless moose, and I obtain a proxy for him to take that moose, can she fill that moose tag for me?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Thanks guy's.

Here's another question I wasn't sure about. Since my soon to be 9 year old can't apply or have her own permit, she can shoot my critter for me under a drawing permit.

If her great grandfather wins a drawing permit for an antlerless moose, and I obtain a proxy for him to take that moose, can she fill that moose tag for me?
    kids can fill any tag you carry as long as you meet the youth hunting requirments....

born before 86 or have the cert card.. ( hunter ed)

if you don't have the ED card i would recomend Taking the class with your daughter even if she does not pass the test this coming year she will learn VALUABLE safety skills from the instructors...

and face it..

they always listen better to some one else
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Nope. When you apply for a person under the age of 16 you just put their age in the permit # box. I'm pretty sure there are instructions for it when you actually apply, but if I recall correctly the permit # box will be filled in with something along the lines of "AGE 10".

exactly Brian.. and the youth must be of age by the time the hunt starts

so if youth turns 10 on sept 2nd and season starts 1st...

the way it is worded they have to wait.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

"..hunters under the age of 10, are allowed to hunt on the behalf of an adult permit holder, under the direct and immediate supervision of that adult. The adult permit holder must be a licensed hunter, 16 or older, and is responsibile for ensuring all legal requirements are met."

So yes.

I don't think she can, since she's not hunting to fill "your" tag but I doubt you'll find the right answer here or in the regs, I'd call F&G and ask them.

So can I put my 4 1/2 yo in on all the same permits I put in for?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    So can I put my 4 1/2 yo in on all the same permits I put in for?

no but your 5 year old can fill them if you allow

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Turns 5 in Jan.
    But a kid has to be 10 by the time the hunt starts to apply for permits. The 5 year old can hunt under your permit, but may not apply for one in their own name. Sorry, you don't get 2 applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    But a kid has to be 10 by the time the hunt starts to apply for permits. The 5 year old can hunt under your permit, but may not apply for one in their own name. Sorry, you don't get 2 applications.
    Down with the system.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I don't think you can proxy [great grandfather's] drawing hunt tag.....haven't checked lately but have it in back of my mind.

Talking

What if my Great Grandmother proxied the hunt to me, I allowed my 6 year old daughter fill the tag, but while we were in the field, my Great Grandmother died. Now what happens to the meat, that was supposed to go to my Great Grandmother?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default packer

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    NEVER put your kid in for permits, because He/She will win and there goes YOUR hunting season... Just ask Steve, at Alaska Custom Firearms. He can't hunt for himself for taking his kids hunting on their permit hunts!

THERE, I said it!

Taylor
    I'm taking him now because in few years he will be in the prime of his life and I will be just that much older and fatter! He'll be packing the next moose for ME while I sit around eating snicker bars! He owes me and I ain't letting him forget it.