Thread: Any burbot in Harding or Birch Lake?

Default Any burbot in Harding or Birch Lake?

Is there any burbot in eithr birch or harding lake?

I live in Fairbanks and would like to get out ice fishing this winter for some burbot.

If there is burbot in these lakes how would you guys fish for them?

Thanks
    Carl

The short answer is no, harding is pike (which is closed) and lake trout, birch are rainbows, char, little silvers, some grayling. Tanana river is probably your target. Stink bait, kind of like catfish from what I understand, I haven't really targeted them. Good luck.
    Cody

harding lake has burbot, got a nice 7 pounder a few years back but i have been skunked more times than caught fish. caught it jigging in 35 feet or there about. would try again, hit me up, mark

Default Harding Lake

Harding Lake used to have lots of Burbot. I used to fish them with set lines when ice fishing. Had to fish 100 plus feet to get them.

Thumbs up try whitefish

If you can get whitefish they make great burbot bait cut into chunks and make sure it is attached to the hook well.

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    Harding Lake used to have lots of Burbot. I used to fish them with set lines when ice fishing. Had to fish 100 plus feet to get them.
    I have read that they come up to about 30 feet to spawn under the ice on gravel areas around March time frame. Has anyone had any experience with this?
    That's what she said...

well........we put out setlines at our burbot lakes between early febuary and early april, and we set em between 3 and 10 feet of water....they spawn in the shallows. you dont wanna setline so much past the last week of march, because thats when the lakers start movin in, and its illegal to get them on the setline.

Release Lake Trout

If I was in Fairbanks I would hit the Tanana and Chena rivers both of which have more burbot than Harding lake does. People used to put lines out on the Tanana out in front of the boat launch on Chena Pump road just before you start heading up Chena Ridge. Not sure if that still goes on or not as its been a few years since I lived up that way. On the Chena you can drill holes just about anywhere and give it a try, from what I remember it was not great fishing but they were there and you never knew if you would get a burbot or a pike. Any meat product works but whitefish, lampreys, or grayling would be best as they are native species they are used to eating.

One last option is to take a drive down to Nenana for the weekend and fish by the bridge there.

Have fun and good luck to you!
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.