Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: shopping for Elk.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default shopping for Elk.

now this is alittle out side my norm... as i don't normally consider hunts that require planning and travel and all that

anyway, it does not look like i will get state side anytime soon during an elk season. even though she keeps asking me to get her some..

so i am considering the beginning draw process. but i have never payed any heed to which of the hunts are good or bad,, i know they are all hard..

so if i had any favor in the powers of the draw gods (yeah i am laughing too)

which would i wish for?

Elton Bow?

raspberry?

or Afognak? East? or SW?

Not that i really want elk but you know i would love to see one in my life...( zoo's don't count do they?)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    now this is alittle out side my norm... as i don't normally consider hunts that require planning and travel and all that

anyway, it does not look like i will get state side anytime soon during an elk season. even though she keeps asking me to get her some..

so i am considering the beginning draw process. but i have never payed any heed to which of the hunts are good or bad,, i know they are all hard..

so if i had any favor in the powers of the draw gods (yeah i am laughing too)

which would i wish for?

Elton Bow?

raspberry?

or Afognak? East? or SW?

Not that i really want elk but you know i would love to see one in my life...( zoo's don't count do they?)
    Don't you have a game ranch down the road a bit from you?

Thumbs up

The easiest Elk hunt you could ever go on would be on Afognak. The bulls like to hang out in the pass at Pillar Cape. Hunt out of a cabin and walk up behind the cabin to the bench/pass. The elk move back and forth on it daily. It is just a meat hunt, because they don't have very big antlers. Even a 5x5 rack will only be about 2 1/2 to 3 feet tall.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I've always wanted to do the registration hunt on Afognak. I've hunted deer on Afognak twice during the interim period between the draw and registration hunts. One time we saw abou 50 elk, the other time we saw zero. That island is one of the coolest places I've ever been, though, so I would love an excuse to go back. Go shoot a few deer and carry an elk tag in my pocket just in case. For what it's worth, that's what I'd do...

Etolin elk is a test of your endurance and willpower. 2 or 3 years ago there were 0 elk taken during the season. That's right zero, zip, nada. Horrible weather and the rainforest conditions made it a very difficult hunt.

Raspberry and Afognak are easy in comparison. Awaiting results from this years hunts. Last year there was a marked improvement in the racks that came out of there. Testiment to the hard work done by Larry VanDaele, the Kodiak biologist for ADF&G, and the foresters for the native corporations.

You just think you don't want an elk, until you've had the meat! A mature bull in Alaska can go more than 1000 lbs., and it's the best meat you can get. Easily my favorite wild game meat.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Okay so i have found a lot of threads of stories on bears, and pain, ripped tendons, buried elks, and storms..

got a few notes back on advice where to go... or apply for.

who can give me a rough COST of this hunt if i was to up an go solo. as that has always been one of my life goals was solo an elk hunt Werther i scored one or not..( one of those beating my disability things)

would it be worth my while to haul My Pro, Pioneer along?

i see some lines on cabins... i dont mind a good tent though... i know how to deal with bears.

flying in or boating, apx cost. to charter?

shipping meat home? or ride ferry to from homer ?

i did get one reply back from a lodge there... $22,000.00 would get me six days of elk deer and bear...( any one think she would notice that check go by?)NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

with my schedule and business... i would have no problem spending an entire 14 days season on a hill side and would stay a month for weather if need be. so i am not constrained to time limits as most are... if the wife fires me...(thank god!)

but i hate to put in for a tag... possibly draw one ... and not hunt it because it is beyond my means so even though the draw has yet to be filed. or the season to begin. it is time to figure it out... and i am not getting any younger.

and sound like i need to figure out what bear tag to apply for at that same time frame eh?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Wink

Vince,
    No idea about costs this year as compared to previous years, never cheap. Flight/ferry to Kodiak, Flight to and from Afognak and back to mainland again. All you need on Afognak is a backpack and strong back. It is about a mile to the critters, but all downhill on the way back with meat. Figure on six loads for the packs. Two loads a day is what I would plan for. Going Solo would be a challenge, but doable.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

First:
    There is no overlap between elk and bear season except a raspberry cow and a registration Afognak hunt.

Second: Airfare would run you from 800 to 1200 going solo $400-600 each way for 800 lbs, for a 206 through Andrew or a small load(800) from Roland at Seahawk. This would get you in and out with an elk weight as well. Don't know about a boat charter.

Third: These elk are bigger than rocky mountain elk if familiar. A Roosevelt cow is as big or bigger than a mature rocky bull, and a bull is that much bigger. It would take a minimum of 3 trips to get you animal back to camp and hang in trees until pickup 4 more realistic if terrain and brush make it difficult. If longer than a few days better to leave on bone which is more weight. The bull I killed last year yielded 300+ pounds of de-boned meat. A mature cow hind quarter is 80 pounds bone in and more like 90+ for a bull. Not trying to discourage just being realistic.

Fourth:
    Raspberry fewer tags and lower odds, some native land no mountain lakes and really only two main access points and very open terrain but brushy!

SW Afognak few mountain lakes very little timber very brushy and elk herd up and move when spooked a very long distance. Very few deer.

NE is almost all native land so need a trespass permit and is $125 for use and $300 for elk hunting as a non Kodiak resident. Good access to many bays and a few lakes but gets hunted hard by the workers of the logging camps. Hard hunting where they have logged except walking on roads because of the newly grown brush and old slash left behind. Elk frequently in timber and harder to find. Big animal potential as well as nothing

Remainder is very timbered and access is good to a few lakes and bays. Some native land and most non native so have to look carefully. Big animal potential as well as nothing.

Deer hunting is hit or miss in all areas, some are better than other depends of winter snow and escape terrain and forage during high snow loads.

In response to "Last year there was a marked improvement in the racks that came out of there. Testiment to the hard work done by Larry VanDaele, the Kodiak biologist for ADF&G, and the foresters for the native corporations."

The improvement in rack size has nothing to do with biologists and foresters. The size is due to the age of the animals. if given 7 or more years to grow these elk get nice heavy massive racks. The elk have been hit harder due to winter conditions and calf survival. Reason tags were cut back. The reason better racks is more publicity either here on the forum or elsewhere, more effort given by the holder of the tag hunting harder and further than before and LUCK which is a huge part in hunting.

Don't know what a pro pioneer is?

What is needed is A good tent to get out of weather and sleeping bag, water proof colthing head to toe, good footwear. If raining and wet leathers get wet first or second day and no way to dry them out. I have not found the answer yet.( plastics or leathers with 2 pair of gortex socks?) and a good framed back pack for hauling meat. Getting clothes dry is almost impossible and a few places fire wood in is short supply to dry colthes with a fire.

Homer ferry trip down would be not too bad just eats up a couple of days driving and ferry time. unlimited weight to and from kodiak that way.

Other way is fly down and ship down supplies down as cargo with airline of choice and pick up once returned.

Ship gear back as cargo and bring all meat as baggage and keep with you but I would take time to remove all fat, debone and break down muscle groups trying to eliminate waste in kodiak and not paying to transport it back as baggage.

Hope this helps and will answer more if needed

thanks Die... so only 3 trips for an elk... vs 11 for a moose so that should give me a few extra miles.

it is coming in.. rough air fare numbers off current rates..

AK air

Anch to Kodiak... apx 309/628 RT economy to first class...

sea hawk just quoted me.. shorter run of 357 each way @800 lbs and longer of 490 furthest x2 at 800 lbs

so rough total of airfare at apx $1100.00-$1600.00 Round TRIP shipping to from main land not included.

AK air freight rates... ( attached PDF i hope... ) zone 2 (Anch) to zone 1C kod. is 250lb @ 0.62per lb for a total of $155.00 per 250 lbs

so if i guess HIGH RT.. 155.00 south and x2 north? $310.00

Airfreight comes to ABOUT~ $465.00 RT so this is coming in at about $2000 RT for air time and freight.

I would love to hear what some of you guys that have run over and back for other hunts have runinto for cost.... to from the main lands

thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    First:
    There is no overlap between elk and bear season except a raspberry cow and a registration Afognak hunt.
    your right on that one.. however there are several that open with in a day or so of elk closing.. and since a guy is already there... why not?

in theory) a guy could already have his bears marked out under his meat pole opening am.. or at least on a gut pile and several deer. my luck? ol bear would be laying like a conibear trap for me anywho... with mouth all open waiting for me to walk in.

but this is suddenly starting to get affordable again.

now... hmmmmm

do i give up the possibility of drawing cordova moose this year.....??

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    your right on that one.. however there are several that open with in a day or so of elk closing.. and since a guy is already there... why not?
    3 day gap between Elk/Bear season.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Elk on Raspberry

Vince,

Total cost for Elk hunting Raspberry with my two brothers this year: $2200. This includes ferry, air taxi, the hotel we had to get for the weather issues we had, and meals.

No elk meat to show for it. Awesome trip though. I think the theme of the trip would have to be 'epic storm'...bear fences work great when the ground is saturated, just ask my brothers!

I saw cows, but no bulls. Saw one bear, no deer. I think we were the only thing moving in the nasty weather. We were there at the beginning of this month when the big storm hit. They told us that at one point there was 2" of rain coming down for 6 hours straight. Of course, in the field we didn't know this...we just thought Kodiak weather really sucked.

We accomplished two of three goals; reconnect with each other (it's been 18 years since the three of us have been together) and be safe. The third, getting some elk meat, will have to wait.

v/r

salcha star road

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    3 day gap between Elk/Bear season.

3 days with out wifes, kids, phones, computers,

oh i don't think so! how could i ever even consider such and act? i am sure i would most certainly loose my mind and be ... ... OH who cares..

if you have not caught the sarcasm yet then its hopelessyear

Dude i spent 23 days moose hunting this yer i think a 3 week elk/bear trip is doable... three days fishing... deer hunting. bird hunting... getting the Kodiak liquid tan...

dang! ALL YOU TALKED ME IN TO IT.......

i think

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by salchastar View Post
    Vince,

Total cost for Elk hunting Raspberry with my two brothers this year: $2200. This includes ferry, air taxi, the hotel we had to get for the weather issues we had, and meals.

No elk meat to show for it. Awesome trip though. I think the theme of the trip would have to be 'epic storm'...bear fences work great when the ground is saturated, just ask my brothers!

I saw cows, but no bulls. Saw one bear, no deer. I think we were the only thing moving in the nasty weather. We were there at the beginning of this month when the big storm hit. They told us that at one point there was 2" of rain coming down for 6 hours straight. Of course, in the field we didn't know this...we just thought Kodiak weather really sucked.

We accomplished two of three goals; reconnect with each other (it's been 18 years since the three of us have been together) and be safe. The third, getting some elk meat, will have to wait.

v/r

salcha star road
    question..

2200 each?

all three? (split)

i have not looked at ferry yet. to take truck over. to Kodiak

but 4500-6000 for a lower 48 trip???? is pulling it together for her mind to wrap around.. the wife is from ID.. Elk and Deer are her preference... so she really would like some brought home..

and if it means a certain amount of self sacrifice to try to fill those needs i guess i am the man for the job

meet on face book here

You can cover a lot in 3 carefree days with no heat on punchin a tag.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default I read it as

$2200. for ALL 3 hunters. Salcha said it. Which does'nt mean you can divide by 3 and come up with YOUR cost.
    Just do it as it never will be any cheaper. Now, if meat is what you want, price per pound may be cheaper to kill a fenced Elk at Delta Junction. Anyway, good luck with your plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    $2200. for ALL 3 hunters. Salcha said it. Which does'nt mean you can divide by 3 and come up with YOUR cost.
    Just do it as it never will be any cheaper. Now, if meat is what you want, price per pound may be cheaper to kill a fenced Elk at Delta Junction. Anyway, good luck with your plans.
    I kind of gathred that but want to make sure.. i am aware that the cost it the cost and it is only split up by wieght.

now the key is desiding on which tag where... and time fram for certian.

wife has given her blessing two times today.. even after i said... the solo word... and suffered the lazer burns across the back of the skull...

meet on face book here

If you are looking to cut costs get an AK air credit card and use miles, 15K will get you round trip Kojak and back w/ 3 bags. You can pick up some totes and pack 3 w/ 50 lbs of meat in each but it would be well worth it to take a scale along w/ you to make sure you are not over as it will cost you 50 bucks per overweight package. The rest of your gear can be sent back through AK air cargo pretty darn reasonable and it is usually put on the same plane you are flying back on anyway.

Seahawk has waxed boxes and a scale so you can weight to 50 pounds per box right there. Check 3 bags, pay $25 for a 4th, and send the rest freight. Last year on Raspberry it took three of us 2 days and change to get my elk back to the beach, a distance of 3 miles, but we had to go up and over a saddle to do it. There is also the time factor of hanging all the meat, then getting a load down, packing it to the beach, and then rehanging it.
    Part of the reason they reduced the tags is it was a zoo out there last year. There were 3 unclaimed bulls the first season. I watched guys shoot into the herd and never even go to check for blood.
    I have hunted Raspberry and Southwest Afognak. They are both fun, but my preference is Raspberry. The elk are almost 100% on the non-native owned land, and I have never seen them in the timber. They have always been in the open. I think part of the reason people don't have success out there is they do not know what they are getting into. Two groups last year left after 2 days, having never made the steep hike out of Onion Bay. It is a hard hunt, but very rewarding in my book.

Default Moose 2010

I'm looking for ideas on a moosehunt for next year. There will be 4 of us and we want to fly into a remote site where a spike camp is already established. Any suggestions are welcome!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast