Thread: 65 years ago this week, CAP and Pearl Harbor

Default 65 years ago this week, CAP and Pearl Harbor

On Monday, December 1, 1941 with the assistance of General Hap Arnold, The Director of civilian defense, La Guardia signed the order that officially created the Civil Air Patrol.

The following Sunday the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor and the Philippines.
    The next day, Monday December 8, 1941, Director La Guardia published administrative order #9 detailing the organization of the C.A.P. and they were in business.

Three months later (march 1942) the C.A.P. was giving 90 days to prove their worth in a desperate experiment called the COASTAL PATROL. The original mission to be confined to searching the US coastline for U-boats and ships in distress. This soon turned into armed off-shore patrols.

The CAP coastal patrol operated for 18 months during WWII before the job was handed off to the regular military. During that time they sighted U-boats on 173 occasions. They also made 57 armed attacks against some U-boats (blowing two into the next world) and assisted the crews of ships that had become victims of torpedoing.

While this was going on, other CAP units were doing primary pilot training and screening for the armed services, as well as:
    target tug duties,
    boarder patrol,
    search & rescue,

transporting personnel
    classified courier duty
    aerial predator control in the west
    forest fire spotting
    as well as moving 1600 metric tons of cargo for the various military services.

Although over 30 of these VOLUNTEERS died while serving their country during WWII. They never received veteranís status or recognition as did members of the WASP (who were paid positions) and the Merchant Mariners.

There are very few left to thank...

Alex Clark

i did not have a clue about anything like that even happened. i am new to this forum and reading history like that is something i didn't figure i would get on a forum like this. every time i log on i try to learn as much as possible about aviation, learning about that is a bonus. that day is coming up again. thanks to all!!

i did not have a clue about anything like that even happened. i am new to this forum and reading history like that is something i didn't figure i would get on a forum like this. every time i log on i try to learn as much as possible about aviation, learning about that is a bonus. that day is coming up again. thanks to all!!

Wow, a 5 year old thread back from the grave.
    Smalls I will see what else I can come up with as Dec 7th draws closer.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com