Thread: need some help with reloading

Default need some help with reloading

hey guys ive been reloading .38 special for awhile with lead wadcutters, but im trying to reload 9mm luger, im using a single stage RCBS press, and the 3 die set, and im having trouble getting the dies adjusted right, I know that the decapping/resizing die is supposed to touch the top of the shell holder and the decapping pin is supposed to protrude 3/16" out the primer pocket, and same with the expander, the seater and crimper is my problem, I either end up with a squashed/wrinkled bullet to far in the case, or one that is too loose and i can twist it around inside the case, its very frustrating wasting all the components after tumbeling, reprimering etc.

Are you seating and crimping in two different steps? Unlike roll crimping, a 9mm uses a taper crimp. You have to seat all the bullets first with the main die backed off a turn or so (from a charged case run to top of stroke) , seater plug adjusted down to the proper COAL. Then, using the same die, back the seater plug all the way out, then adjust your die back down on a loaded cartridge to just barely taper crimp it- you pretty much just want a smidgen more than taking the bell out.

Default Crimp

Semi autos use a taper crimp. A taper crimp basically pushes half the thickness of the case into the bullet. This allows the bullet to grab the case and yet maintain a straight wall, so it will feed;The balance of the case mouth is what the round headspaces on.
    You can also buy a taper crimp die, for this operation. Once the bullet is seated, run it through the taper crimp die and the opeation is complete. You also don't have to keep adjusting your seating die.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I had a terrible time loading .45 auto when I first started loading, running into the same thing you are. Once I quit seating and taper crimping in the same step, life was much, much better.

I bought a Lee factory crimp die and backed off my seater die and that fixed all my problems.

Mike

thanks guys I think I got it all sorted out now, they are seating in the correct length and staying in the case firmly

I seat and crimp in the same step with my homecast 45auto loads but you really only need a tiny bit of crimp the case will do the rest.