Thread: Creamers Field Moose Hunting? Has anyone been successful in the past?

Default Creamers Field Moose Hunting? Has anyone been successful in the past?

Hey I am on basically my last shot in Alaska for a Moose coming up at the end of November in the Creamers Field area. Has anyone hunted that area and are there any other special restrictions other than having the bow certification? Thanks for the help.

JWILM

You also have to go into the F&G office and "sign in." I think that's a one time good deal for the season.

Default Creamer's

I was drawn for the muzzleloader two years ago, got one on the last day after I figured out how to hunt them there. Last year I could not apply, but was drawn again this year for the Nov 21-27 hunt with the smoke pole. If you wish to PM me I will explain the method that I used and think will work best.

Quote Originally Posted by jwilm View Post
    Hey I am on basically my last shot in Alaska for a Moose coming up at the end of November in the Creamers Field area. Has anyone hunted that area and are there any other special restrictions other than having the bow certification? Thanks for the help.
    JWILM
    Bow certification and register in person with F&G on College Road. Pay close attention to the "No Hunting" area on the map they will give you. Otherwise, that is about it.

Don't forget about the Chena Lakes Rec Area, there should be a map as well of the Hunting/No-Hunting areas. You are supposed to sign in, each time you visit there. If you do, bring a warm pen, the one they have will be frozen.

Default Chena Lakes rec area moose hunting

Has anyone hunting with bow out at the chena lake rec area for moose?

Default creamers field

It has been my experience there is a lot of hunting pressure there, so I don't do it. It however is another option in the FMA

shoot I remember the first time I ever drown into there in 95. I was still a nonresident (military) at the time so I was out chasing bunnies. Drove past a spike by the old feed mill..watched two high 30" bulls on the field on the left for a half hour or so before they meandered off east and managed to call in a bull later on that evening while chasing hares we figured was in the low 40's. My has the times changed! If there was more then a car, it was busy! last few times has been a zoo...

There are definatly a few animals there, good luck with them! As has been noted hunt them more like whitetails then moose and you'll do ok eventually!

Default Calling?

Dont mean to still your thread jwilm, does anyone know what calls work the best this time of year. I know there not rutting but do cow calls still work?

fairly soft calls grunts and cow calls both work....to some degree...but realize these are heavily hunted animals and every yahoo who knows an incling about calling calls to these animals. We HAVE called in late season moose, mostly soft, not TOO aggressive grunting.

Default other than creamers!!

I figured creamers is going to be full so Im looking elsewhere in the FMA. I think ive found a couple promising places just wasnt sure how to get the animals to me.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

still seeing 4-8 cows a week.... right off the road systems...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I dont have a cow tag LOL!

Default Chena Lakes rec area moose hunting

I dont have a cow tag so I'm limited. I could have smoked many cows already. I am looking for any bull spike-fork or bigger. I want some meat for the freezer and to say I took a moose with my bow. I've shot one in MN before with a rifle but with a bow thats an accomplishment. Good Luck to all that is going out tomorrow.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well mayby you guys can give Alaskatrapper some tips in a pm, where the cows are hiding.. he and wife have been trying to fill it ... send him a pm... i am sure he would appreciate it...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Nope Vince, no pointers needed here, your snow sucks up here. There is no sneaking up on em. Anyhow, we found all the cows and bulls we can possibly handle (we are still here).....Just getting within range will be fun. We should have our tag filled in the morning.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

LOL stop sneaking ....

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    LOL stop sneaking ....
    LOL!!! He's RIGHT! We just walked up to my wifes delta cow and gunned it down. In fact my wife was wearing a BRIGHT RED sledding jacket.

We tried sneaking, we tried walking right up to them, we tried everything we could think of. Maybe if we had stood on our heads it would have worked out. It was 31 below, the snow was crunchy, 19 moose and only 3 good opportunities that were ruined by Murphy's Law.

Two examples:

We were handed a cow on the side of the road, but it was 4:30pm and getting pretty dark......We wont forgot to mention that the only shot available would have been from the road. After we made up our mind that the shot would not be a good one we started to pull off. Then some twit pulls up, jumps out of the back of his buddies pickup (they obviously had this planned from up the road somewhere) and proceeds to shoot at the cow from the road. We did report it, and yes he missed.

I wont even get into the lady who decided to ruin our very first stalk. She saw what we were doing and proceeded to slam her door open and closed...open and closed on the side of the road where we were parked.....While hubby was on the stalk I pulled up behind her and gave her a very harsh tongue lashing.

Some folks have NO IDEA what its like for archers. First time in 25 years hubby has come home empty handed.

<rant over>
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"