Thread: Anti-bind feature

Default Anti-bind feature

I have a Bauska BBK-02 action and a gentleman on another forum stated that the BBK does not have a anti-bind feature, wanted to find out what the process would entail to add this feature to my rifle action. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Default Anti-bind

The anti-bind feature I can think of are the ribs on the bolts like the 98 mausers and the Remingtons 30S, the rail for the bolt lug on the 95 mausers, the extra projection on the pre-64 Win. Mdl 70s and Ruger M77, and the notch and rail on the right locking lug of the later Mdl 70s.

The Rem. Mdl. 700 and others have none of these "anti-bind" feature and work quite smoothly without binding.

I'm not sure what he is refering to.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    I have a Bauska BBK-02 action and a gentleman on another forum stated that the BBK does not have a anti-bind feature, wanted to find out what the process would entail to add this feature to my rifle action. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Here is what he stated he had done to his BBK action. Quote; The action does not have a bolt anti bind feature but it's straight forward to install a M98 type bolt guide, which I did. Requires broaching a groove in the rear ring and milling the bolt for the guide.
    I have never had this type of gunsmith work done before, would this be the best approach as he described to have a anti-bind feature added to the BBK action? Is this kind of modification costly to do? Is this modification really necessary? has anyone ever had a problem with a rifle that did not have an anti-bind feature? Thanks in advance.

I have never seen a BBK action but like tvfinak said the anti bind feature in the M98 often called a guide rib seems to be what you are describing. Earlier Mausers and the M1917 Enfield did not have this rib. The Remington model 30 was a reworked M1917. Later in production they added a M98 type rib by broaching a grove in the bridge and riviting the rib to the bolt. My under standing is that biggest reason for the addition of the guide rib to the Model 30S was to help smooth opening of the bolt as the right lug entered the ejection port. However, the early model 30's and M1917 Enfields without the rib certainly functioned well, and other actions have never had such a rib.

If I could recomend a book that deals in such design features and concepts. The Bolt Action by Stuart Otteson is great, keep an eye on amazon for used copys they can often be had for about $30. Defiantly money well spent if you are into bolt actions.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    The anti-bind feature I can think of are the ribs on the bolts like the 98 mausers and the Remingtons 30S, the rail for the bolt lug on the 95 mausers, the extra projection on the pre-64 Win. Mdl 70s and Ruger M77, and the notch and rail on the right locking lug of the later Mdl 70s.

The Rem. Mdl. 700 and others have none of these "anti-bind" feature and work quite smoothly without binding.

I'm not sure what he is refering to.
    The Remington 700 does have the same notched lug setup as the later Model 70, how well it works, well thats anyones guess.
    I think that my favorite is the 1903 Springfield's giant guide lug that also served as a safety locking lug in the event of a blowup. Some of the old 1903's are smoother than butter.

Here is a pic of the action. Bolt size .730", magazine length 3.85", holds five 375 H&H magnum size cartridges in the magazine.
    I will be looking for the book that you recommended. Thanks
    Last edited by Nukalpiaq; 11-22-2009 at 20:46.

Default Who sells 'em?

I've got one of these and was wondering what it was and who sells them.

You won't happen to have the name of the importer would you or where you got your's from?

The bolt does indeed lack the guide rib but seems to work O.K. anyway. I don't know if I would go to the expense of having one installed IMO.

Another feature it lacks is the bolt sleeve lock as installed on mausers, springfields, and Mdl. 70s. Curse is if you accidently turn the bolt sleeve it can be a bugger to get it lined up again. Rugers lack it also I was at the range last weekend and the guy on the bench next to me couldn't get the bolt back into his M77. Turned out the had taken the bolt out and dropped it and the sleeve rotated on hiim.

IMO I'd built a .375 on one of the CZ actions. You don't need the large bolt diameter except for something like the .505 Gibbs or perhaps a big Weatherby Magnum. The CZ ZKK-602 I have doesn't have the rib or sleeve lock either but I never really noticed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Here is a pic of the action. Bolt size .730", magazine length 3.85", holds five 375 H&H magnum size cartridges in the magazine.
    I will be looking for the book that you recommended. Thanks
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default Mdl 700 & 03s

My very early 700 - SN 2xxx - does not have any sort of antibind feature and it binds up if you hold up on the bolt handle and try to move the bolt back to reload. The binding occurs as the bolt head clears the receiver ring. Not a good design at all - Remington must have know that the Win. Mdl 70 was going to change to bring out the Mdl 700 at the same price as the Win. 70 way back in 1963. Remington must have added the guide at some later date.

The 1903 Springfields are indeed one of the slickest modern bolt action rifles. Most - if not all - of the actions were surface harden and the bolts are also quite hard. Mauser and other rifles just had soft steel rubbing over soft steel to create a "sticky" feel.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    The Remington 700 does have the same notched lug setup as the later Model 70, how well it works, well thats anyones guess.
    I think that my favorite is the 1903 Springfield's giant guide lug that also served as a safety locking lug in the event of a blowup. Some of the old 1903's are smoother than butter.

Here is an OA press release on the Bauska.

http://www.oa2.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5659

I bought my BBK action on a gun auction website. Lately I been seeing a few listings of custom rifles build on these actions. Most of them are real nice custom rifles and priced accordingly.

The only reason to have the anti bind key on the bolt of a mauser (and matching broached raceway) is for military actions with the thumb cutout.

I'm assuming the Bauska doen't have the thumb cutout, and hence there is no need for the anti bind.

Default Anti-bind and thumb cut out

I though of this also but the commerical mausers and the Rem. 30S have the rib and they do not have a thumb cutouts.

The rib or lug do help smooth up operation of the bolt. My early Rem 700 binds up badly and the 1917 Enfield actions aren't very smooth in operation either. Part of this is due to the metals used and the amount of surface contact and clearances between the bolt and action.

The orginal Sakos are interesting to consider. They have the guide like a claw extractor on a CRF rifle to enhance bolt operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    The only reason to have the anti bind key on the bolt of a mauser (and matching broached raceway) is for military actions with the thumb cutout.

I'm assuming the Bauska doen't have the thumb cutout, and hence there is no need for the anti bind.