Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: who tends to build the most accurate factory rifle?

Default who tends to build the most accurate factory rifle?

looking at finally getting around to buying a rifle that i think will suit my needs very well. i am set on the 25-06 cartridge. it will do well on deer, sheep, black bear, and caribou. possibly even moose with the right loads. it has light recoil, and still maintains downrange energy. i would prefer it to be a factory built rifle. what company would you go with? i like the dull stainless finish, but would not be opposed to blued either. as for the stock, that will likely be changed out for something lightweight later on.

so is it remington? sako or tikka? weatherby?

Very hard to beat a Savage for accurate factory rifle and they have the trigger the others are starting to copy!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

ive shot and held many savages. while the trigger is nice, they dont seem as rugged as other guns out there. not sure they even offer a 25-06. i will have to check though.

I have bought two Weatherby Vanguards in 300 Wby that shot 1/2" groups with reloading. I am a fan, we will say that.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Blaser r93. I have two weatherby sub-moa models which are pretty accurate.

If accuracy is what you're after a Cooper 52 will "guarantee" you 1/2" 3 shot groups at 100yds. They are pretty rifles but be prepared to spend a bit though. Weatherby has an "MOA" guarantee on a portion of their rifles and Nosler has a model they guarantee 3/4MOA. Not sure if either are available in 25-06 though. Other brands will shoot just as good but may or may not put it in writing so it can be a bit of a roulette game.

In all fairness though- most factory built rifles these days will give acceptable if not outstanding "hunting level accuracy" right out of the box. The other features you want or need will largely determine how much you spend.

Blaser R93

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Gibbs View Post
    looking at finally getting around to buying a rifle that i think will suit my needs very well. i am set on the 25-06 cartridge. it will do well on deer, sheep, black bear, and caribou. possibly even moose with the right loads. it has light recoil, and still maintains downrange energy. i would prefer it to be a factory built rifle. what company would you go with? i like the dull stainless finish, but would not be opposed to blued either. as for the stock, that will likely be changed out for something lightweight later on.

so is it remington? sako or tikka? weatherby?
    I'm not a Remington guy, but I do have a 700BDL (.257WBY) that I customized considerably...it is a shooter. I also have Tikka 595 (22-250) that is pretty much stock...it is also a shooter. I don't have a Sako or WBY, so I have nothing to say from first hand experiences with them. Out of your choices I'd choose a Tikka over a Remington any day.

We all have our preferences, and to each his own.

Doc

Straight from the factory for under $1,500 Savage without a doubt. Followed by Coopers. Coopers may be more accurate but they cost more as well.
    Never owned a Blaser or Tikka so can not comment on them.

Seen lots of people claim there factory rifles are .5 moa shooters but most people remember that one group they shot on that perfect day. In 40 years of owning rifles the only stock factory rifle I owned (still have it) that was capable of shooting .5 moa the majority of the time is a factory Savage in .223 with a skinny barrel. Second most accurate rifle I've owned was a Savage in 300 WM.

For big game in Alaska I dont even try to find a rifle/load that will better moa as I would rather spend my time doing other things. Give me a rifle that will shoot up to 1.5 moa for 3 shots every time to the same point of impact and I'm a happy camper.

Remember, your question was about accurate rifles from the factory so in my opinion that means untuned, no bedding, no trigger adjustements.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Gibbs View Post
    ive shot and held many savages. while the trigger is nice, they dont seem as rugged as other guns out there. not sure they even offer a 25-06. i will have to check though.
    Sure they have 25-06 rifles and if you buy a barrel they have any chamber you want.

But sounds like you have more things you want than just "who tends to build the most accurate factory rifle" and in that case what are you looking for?

If you want best value in a well made production rifle I would say Winchester model 70.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Savage all the way!

I have a 30-06 and love the thing. The trigger is wonderful and the barrel is as consistant as anyone could ask for. The gun shoots way better than I am able to. Only cost about $450. The only problem I see with them are the plastic stocks...i hate 'em! I am actually trying to put money away to change the stock on it but I keep spending the money on stuff for my other guns.

That being said, weatherby vanguard sub moa rifles are on my list to buy also. I think they run about $600-700. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

For me I would consider one in the Weatherby SUB-MOA. Back in the mid-80's the Vanguard really surpised me how accurate these rifles were then and are if you can find one with the sub-moa accuracy. They must have built these to standards then which the modern day sub-moa vanguards are labeled and built today. Unfortunately I no longer have this rifle today, but I am considering one in another caliber on this platform because of their accuracy and reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Sure they have 25-06 rifles and if you buy a barrel they have any chamber you want.

But sounds like you have more things you want than just "who tends to build the most accurate factory rifle" and in that case what are you looking for?

If you want best value in a well made production rifle I would say Winchester model 70.
    i guess you could say that im looking for the toughest, most accurate rifle out there. i know everyone likes the savages, but for some reason, the trigger group worries me. just that extra hinge seems like it could screw you over if it ever broke off on a hunt, or even got caked with snow or mud and froze up.

i may just go with a remington sps stainless and throw a mcmillan lightweight stock on it and be done. things like trigger jobs and bedding i will get done, but cost isnt a factor in that for various reasons.

Default I like Weatherbys

I have two Mark Vs, and both are shooters. If you want something lightweight, check out their MK V Ultra Lightweight. I'm pretty sure they make it in 25-06. Mine in .280 weighs less than 7 lbs with scope and sling. They also make the Fibermark and Synthetic in 25-06 if I'm not mistaken.

Weatherbys have pretty good triggers for a factory rifle, they're accurate, reliable and durable. They have a lot going for them IMO. They cost more than a Savage, but they're nicer overall.

I don't own any of the Vanguards, but I don't think you'd be disappointed in one of them either.

I'm pretty happy with the new Ruger .308 Tactical model. This rifle shoots Black Hills factory ammo under a half inch. It also shoots my 155gr and 175gr Berger loads under a half inch with the 175gr loads near a 1/4 inch. These are four shot groups at 100 yards. There are no mods on this out of the box rifle.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=59389

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdResults?function=famid&famid=60&variation=M7 7%AE%20Hawkeye%AE%20Tactical&bct=Yes&type=Rifle

I just ordered a .243 version of the same rifle for my 11 year old daughter, I get the jacket.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Carhartt/about.html

With a little dealing these rifles can be purchased at $830.00, that's 27% off the MSRP.
    Last edited by marshall; 10-28-2009 at 07:21. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Blaser R93

Nice factory rifles...but it comes with a custom price!!!!

Default Accurate

The most "accurate" rifle available in your favorite caliber will come from KELBLY'S Inc. The Kodiak is hands down the most accurate rifle produced today. There are lots of quality rifle manufacturers in the US ; Nosler, H-S, Shilen, Dakota , Kimber and many others will build you a rifle, BUT their accuracy/quality will not top KELBLYS. Nearly all benchrest matches are won with Kelbly actions or their copycat clones.

http://www.kelbly.com/price/prices09.jpg
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Steyr SBS Prohunter. They may look a bit different but they sure can shoot!

I dont know much about Kelby's, but most Cooper's will shoot well under their 1/2 MOA guarantee. They are quality rifles in all their components, includung stock and quality craftsmanship.

I recently got a used Rem Senedero 25-06. The first thing I did with it was to shoot a group to see how well it shot. The first three bullets after the sighter made a .24" ragged hole at about 110 yds under less than the best shooting conditions with a tasco Scope that was mounted on it. i then went to clean it to prep it for a break-in and it took 5 days to clean it (4 days of soaking with Wipeout, 4-8 hours per treatment). After it was finally clean I took it to get bore scoped to see what was going on. The bore was completely firecracked fron throat to muzzle. The smith was surprized that I could hit anything with it. I broke it in with Gun Juice and did some load development and it's still a tack driver. Most Senderos are tack drivers. They have a heavy barrel and a great aluminum bedded stock. They do weigh 8 1/2 lbs. To get a 25-06, you would have to keep a watch on Gunbroker because they dont make them anymore and I like the older SF's better than the newer SFII's.

My next choice would be a Sub MOA Vanguard, action made by Howa. They come with factory shot targets with groupd of 1" or less. The other day I saw a Sub MOA in 300 WSM that had a .3" group. They have a very good pillar bedded stock.

I've heard and read a lot of good things about Savages, but I would go with one of these others first.

Mark

Default Factory?

I think factory needs to be more clearly defined. A lot of those mentioned are either full custom shops or teter on the edge of "factory". If you're going to include Kelbly's, you might as well include every custom accuracy gunsmith's shop out there, and then nobody can claim top dog, a lot of them produce winning rifles. Factory Savage rifles did win the F-Class world championship, that says something for them.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast