Thread: Cabelas Guide Tent Verses Kodiak Island

Default Cabelas Guide Tent Verses Kodiak Island

Check this out, We got caught in a bit of a storm on Kodiak Island during our recent Goat Hunt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PylrnSDprIM

So Far it is: Tent 1 Kodiak 0. Hopefully this is the worst of the bouts we will have to encounter on Kodiak. Record Breaking Rainfall and wind gust to 65mph.

Brings back memories of a storm I got caught in up on the McComb Plateau. Didn't have the rain you did but had winds over 100 MPH. Never thought I would see a dome tent so wind loaded that the walls were touching! The guys next to me in a Eureka A-frame didn't fare nearly as well. They wound up crawling into my tent when theirs was destroyed.

Default 45+ knots on Kodiak

A couple of years ago we had a storm W/ snow and wind on Kodiak and the Guide model tent did great. You gotta love a tent that handles it all.

Default Gotta love the guide series

Man that tent took a beating. I own a 6 and a 4-man Cabela's guide tent. They have never let me down. I have not tested my tents to that extreme, and hopefully never will.

Confirm those were the metal poles please.

Thanks for the field test video.

I also have a 6 and 4man cabelas guide tents. Stayed out in PWS for 5 days and it rained for 5 consecutive days. And they kept us dry, we also have the metal poles for both tents and the versu bubble to link the two together, as well as the floor liner. Because we all know there is no better way of ruining a trip then to have a wet sleeping bag, or a leaky tent. Worth every penny.

Default Way to stick with it

A lot of guys would have called for pickup as soon as the wind layed down. Nice job on the goats. Show the pictures and tell the story. Were you on a lake. Looks kind of like a lake we went to last year in DG477.

That is a great video! Loved seeing all the water running in and around your camp. Now you guys have me worried that I only have the fiberglass poles in my 6 man guide tent. Oh well they have held up so far.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    That is a great video! Loved seeing all the water running in and around your camp. Now you guys have me worried that I only have the fiberglass poles in my 6 man guide tent. Oh well they have held up so far.
    I purchased my aluminum poles after I bought my tent with fiberglass just to save some weight and the aluminum poles without the hubs slide through the sleeves easier. Anyways, I have 6 fiberglass poles as spares in my crawl space. I take one along in my tent for insurance, if you'd like a full size spare I'll hook you up with one of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I would not worry to much about the fiberglass poles. I had the six man with fiberglass poles out in Cold Bay about 10 years ago. On that trip we had 80 mph winds and 100 mph gust for 4 days, the tent made it through the storm with some damage, but yet we were still bone dry at the end of the storm. The poles looked like feathers when it was over, but none of them broke and 3 of the steel rings that hold the pole pins (bottom of the tent) had been straightened out, so we had to duck tape the pins to the poles. Like I said some damage, but we still had a solid tnet after the storm.
    The best part of the story is, I sent the tent back to Cableas and they sent me a brand new tent (free of chaRGE) , even though the tent I returned was several years old. Can't beat that!

Default Spare!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I purchased my aluminum poles after I bought my tent with fiberglass just to save some weight and the aluminum poles without the hubs slide through the sleeves easier. Anyways, I have 6 fiberglass poles as spares in my crawl space. I take one along in my tent for insurance, if you'd like a full size spare I'll hook you up with one of mine.
    Hey! Now that's an idea. I would love a spare pole.

I'd like a spare pole also if your handing them out?

Wink

Very nice video.
    Those Cabelas Guide Model tents can take a severe beating for sure.
    I have the 4 man and have been to Kodiak quite a few times and never a let down and always dry .
    Now lets see the goats and the rest of the story.

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Default Gaot Video and than some

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

Here is the link to the goats :-)

Default recovery

How did the recovery go? Was that a forward shoulder and upper chest shot?

Cool practical video. Thanks for taking the time to share I really enjoyed that. I'm thinking I'll hunt next Oct. too. I really do like the weather and long days of August though.

Default Metal vs Fiberglass Poles

I think the fiberglass poles are actually sturdier than the aluminum ones, or maybe they are just more forgiving to go back into shape. My father has a six man tent with the aluminum poles and they bent permanantly while in use down in Chitna with the winds they get there. And this was with the tent set up on the leeward side of the truck.

-TJ

Default Recovery

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    How did the recovery go? Was that a forward shoulder and upper chest shot?

Cool practical video. Thanks for taking the time to share I really enjoyed that. I'm thinking I'll hunt next Oct. too. I really do like the weather and long days of August though.
    lol! I have parts of that vdeo, but You Tube only lets you have 10 min.s. Recovery looked similiar to your goat recovery, in other words lots of 3 point plus contact
    U are correct the 1st shot was a bit far forward, but the 2nd shot was right in the bolier room (double lung). The goat went through the gun sight than straight down about 600 ft. We were able to make a clean recovery (pic.s to come). This billy measured 10 3/16" and he was freaking hugwe bodied. Hoof to Hoof he measured 8'6". He is an awesome goat. U have to love those full winter goats!
    Last edited by cusackla; 10-28-2009 at 16:52. Reason: spelling

Default super

A hearty Congrats! A 10" mega billy is a super trophy and will be very hard to top. That rough recovery is part of the deal, although I was hoping to see him tumble strait towards you. That was good shooting at that range. I liked the way you exercised supreme patience and waited until you had the right angle.

Did you figure what the meat bag weight was?

The billy Kathleen shot at 9.5 yrs old was also over 8' across the back and I had the feet cut off.

What did he age at?

Default Nice Going!!

Thanks for the video,hope to see more. Congrats on the Goats and having a good tent!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    A hearty Congrats! A 10" mega billy is a super trophy and will be very hard to top. That rough recovery is part of the deal, although I was hoping to see him tumble strait towards you. That was good shooting at that range. I liked the way you exercised supreme patience and waited until you had the right angle.

Did you figure what the meat bag weight was?

The billy Kathleen shot at 9.5 yrs old was also over 8' across the back and I had the feet cut off.

What did he age at?
    I think we aged hin a 8, but i have not had any official aging done.
    Meat bag was plus 70 lbs completly boned out.
    Cape (head in) probablly weighed a little more.
    I had to edit a bunch of footage out. We had him laying and than standing there for ever before he finally turned for a shot. He had us dead to rights and he was breathing fairly hard, so I am guessing he was pretty pumped-up, which probablly helped him take those two 30-378 rounds and keep on going. Pound for Pound I think Mountain Goats are the toughest animals in Alaska. Between Lonnie and I we have taken over 10 Goats and as far as we are concerned they win the toughest in Alaska contest hands down.

Extreme field testing
    While the video is a testament to the tent, the tent could use some improvement IMO.
    I just spent 3 days in one of these tents and my observations were:
    • The shock cord joining the Al pole segments was junk. Stretched too much, and when it was cold, would stay stretched, making assembling the poles a pain.
    • The fly attachement points to the main tent body were poorly designed and executed. Did not fit very well.
    • The Aluminum of the poles seemed cheap, although your video shows them holding up. Given the price, i think they could provide better poles.
    • They should improve the zippers on the doors as they tend to snag very easily. Not what you want when trying to get out of the tent in a hurry in the early morning because you heard a moose
    Not meaning to slam the tent, just some improvments i think could be made.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.