Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Need Some Riding Gear Suggestions (gloves & goggles)

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tuluksak, AK
    Posts
    44

    Default Need Some Riding Gear Suggestions (gloves & goggles)

    I live out in the tundra and need to upgrade riding gear before it gets much colder. My machine should be here next week.

    Gloves, what's a really pair of gloves? I have a 7 year old pair or mountain hardware gloves that are decent but still get kinda cold on occasion. I'm looking for a pair that will stay warm at -40*F

    Googles, I wear glasses, what's a good pair that doesn't fog up?

  2. #2
    Member theultrarider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    1,096

    Default

    Gloves I wear the Cabel's pinnacle gloves. They are warm and tough and very waterproof. Goggles, Scott makes a good set of 89x dual lens otg (over the glasses) goggle that works very well. Those are my favorite chioces. I am sure you will get my more here as well.

  3. #3
    Member Erik in AK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    I wear Storm* gloves by True North Adventures. They're on the web. The gloves are comfortable (with my grip heaters on) down to -20.

    For colder than that I wear mittens by BackSide.

    For goggles, any double-lens goggle will do fine but do invest in a NoFog mask.

  4. #4

    Default

    Beaver mittens with wool finger glove liners and a canvas pullover with a hood and drawstring in the midrift. The Pullover need to be long enough to cover your knees, but not long enough to get into the track. A full face mask like the skinz models are best for wind and vision, goggles don't get it.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5

    Thumbs up

    Fish Hedz also makes a good face shield.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,293

    Default

    Put gauntlets on your handlebars. Any glove that's good enough in still air at those temps will be a plenty warm under the gauntlets. With hand warmers I can wear light gloves under the gauntlets, but I always carry a warm pair in case I have to walk for help. For goggles I prefer Smith. They make several OTG models. With goggles there usually is a reason that one model costs more than another from the same brand. The more expensive ones have better face seals. Spend the few extra bucks and get the good ones. You'll be glad you did. If you add a No Fog face mask you'll stay warm AND fog-free. I take two. That way I don't have to put a wet mask back on after a break. That's the only time the moisture from condensation bothers me. If you wear a helmet an open face with goggles and a No Fog is warmer and less prone to fog than a full face or motocross helmet.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southwest Alaska
    Posts
    2,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barrelroll View Post
    I live out in the tundra and need to upgrade riding gear before it gets much colder. My machine should be here next week.

    Gloves, what's a really pair of gloves? I have a 7 year old pair or mountain hardware gloves that are decent but still get kinda cold on occasion. I'm looking for a pair that will stay warm at -40*F

    Googles, I wear glasses, what's a good pair that doesn't fog up?
    Been living here for 20 years.

    1. There is no goggle that exists that is fog-free; both the goggles and glasses will ice up. Your best bet will be to get soft contacts. I use Scott goggles with the special ($50 each), gold coated lenses for daytime travel as they cut the light 98%. I have another pair with a blue tinted lense for night travel as they increase the contrast and let you see the ridges coming up.

    2. Northern Outfitters is the best. www.northernoutfitters.com
    You can wear other stuff, but nothing works when it gets cold. I've tried them all. N.O. is the only product that will keep you warm.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

    Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

    You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

  8. #8

    Default

    [QUOTE=Nitroman;603769]Been living here for 20 years.

    1. There is no goggle that exists that is fog-free

    I'm surprised you don't have better luck with the goggles. I too have lived here for 40 yrs. in my case and I also use Scott goggles. I have never once fogged up IF I am moving. If I stop for any length of time, then I fog up, otherwise, I never fog.
    I agree with Mr Pid as well. I ride with light gloves all the time, and carry a set of mittens for when the going gets rough.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tuluksak, AK
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Thanks for the information.

    I'm planning on getting contacts but they have to wait till Christmas when I head down to the lower 48.

    My machine has hand warmers though I'm worried about gloves when I have to get off the machine.

  10. #10

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by barrelroll View Post
    My machine has hand warmers though I'm worried about gloves when I have to get off the machine.
    As well you should be. Lots of folks don't get out or find themselves in extreme cold situations. I have...and....Beaver mittens with wool inserts have saved my hands more times than I want to think about. On the other side, I have frost bitten my hands and fingers more times than I care to think about as well, on those ocassions I found myself dealing with issues and having only a pair of finger gloves. It is serious business and you should prepare for the worst case senario.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southwest Alaska
    Posts
    2,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barrelroll View Post
    Thanks for the information.

    I'm planning on getting contacts but they have to wait till Christmas when I head down to the lower 48.

    My machine has hand warmers though I'm worried about gloves when I have to get off the machine.
    Gauntlets that fit over the grips help a great deal, but are cumbersome and take some time to get used to them, but they work well. I have them for my Arctic Cat.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

    Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

    You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Gauntlets that fit over the grips help a great deal, but are cumbersome and take some time to get used to them, but they work well. I have them for my Arctic Cat.
    I can't say enough good about gauntlets. I use them on all my sno-gos. Allows me to just wear mechanix gloves down to -20 and my hands are toasty so long as my hand warmers are working. I don't find them cumbersome at all. If I'm cruising the Denali Hwy or Yenta river I don't really need to be all that mobile on the sled. However if I get into the powder I just roll them up out of the way. Granted I still carry a pair of heavy warm mittens in my pack, but they get used rarely.

  13. #13
    Member SusitnaAk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    ANCHORAGE
    Posts
    779

    Default

    What i do with glasses is three pc,s of duck tape about 3" long, First goes across the nose, leave little overhang, than the other two i bring up to middle nose down across the cheek,little bit of angle. then bend corner,s,s up form little beak. Give your snot a place to go, With your glasses on they should be over top of tape.Than the no fog mask, goggles on last over evrything else.When you stop hold your breath til you can get all off. same thing when ready to ride again hold breath til get all back on. I will also lean off to side once i get going, getting some fresh air away from engine heat, cracking goggles from my face til they clear.Becarefull once get too, getting that tape off, wait til warm.s up and can use just right amont of vaseline before hand on cheeks to keep from to stuck to your cheek

  14. #14

    Default

    Has anyone tried Rainx for eyeglasses?

  15. #15
    Member theultrarider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    1,096

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymac View Post
    Has anyone tried Rainx for eyeglasses?
    "Cat's crap" from REI works far better on glasses. True name. It works great.

  16. #16
    Member Erik in AK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    In a pinch, a little skin oil does a decent job of fog-proofing glasses.

    Just touch the side of your nose with a finger tip and smear the inside of your lenses. Then you lightly buff the oil residue until there's just a light haze. It's not an optimum fix but you can still see through your glasses and they stay fog free for about an hour or two before needing a re-application.

    It doesn't work great but it does work.

    As for me snowmachine days are contact lens days. I carry my glasses for backup.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quick question - Where does everyone get there No-Fog face masks?

    There website is awful, but there products look useful. Anyone try that thumb assist?

    Thanks

  18. #18
    Member EagleRiverDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    725

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimii3 View Post
    Quick question - Where does everyone get there No-Fog face masks?

    There website is awful, but there products look useful. Anyone try that thumb assist?

    Thanks
    I just bought 1 at www.hiperf.com. They carry the thumb assist as well as they No-Fog masks. I don't have any experience with them- the posts here convinced me to try one and see.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,293

    Default

    Go Pro in Anchorage.

  20. #20

    Default

    Thanks guys!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •