Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What scope do you use and why?

Default What scope do you use and why?

What is your favorite scope on your favorite gun for hunting the different game you hunt and why? If you have different setups for different game feel free to explain as many as you hunt with. Example would be one gun for say brown bear, and another for small game. Lets hear about your favorite scopes not as much as about guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    What is your favorite scope on your favorite gun for hunting the different game you hunt and why? If you have different setups for different game feel free to explain as many as you hunt with. Example would be one gun for say brown bear, and another for small game. Lets hear about your favorite scopes not as much as about guns.
    Swarovski z6 2-12x50. Nice low power for up close shots. 12 power is enough for as far as I care to shoot at big game. It is my favorite all around Alaska hunting scope.

Leupold or Zeiss 2.5x8 for big game rifles.
    Tennessee

leoupold 4.5x14x40 for my .338

because I'm comfertable shooting at a distance. it's a little different then my m24 but the result is the same.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Schmidt Bender Zenith 1.5-6X42 on a H&H....

.....Clarity is impeccable and 6X is as much as you need out to 350 yards.
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

Default Leupold

Good quality, fair price but the biggest reason? I love their scope caps. They are aluminum male thread and screw into the scope as opposed to slip-on other makes. They are held in place by tiny but very strong magnets and flip open easy. They are not cheap ($40 each, $80 for both) but if you catch Cabelas rewards coupons you can make up some money.

Unhappy Leupold

Lifetime warranty, not overly priced as I don't feel like I need a loan to buy one. Haven't compared to Swarovski or Zeiss but... Nice avator SteveJCootie....need some defense

Smile Leupold/Winchester...

My scope criteria is weight, length, field of view, eye relief, light transmisson, reliability, warranty and cost. When I consider all that I use Leupolds. They may not be the best in all areas, but they are the best compromise for the kind of hunting I do. My all time favorite is the Leupold Vari X III 2.5 x 8 by 36 mm with the standard duplex reticle. That sits on my custom Mod. 70 "Classic Stainles" .338 Win Mag. It is a reliable and accurate rifle that hits hard. I have been shoooting a .338 for 34 years, yup, I like it. Next is the 1.75 x 6 by 32 mm with the post/duplex reticle from Leupold's Custom Shop. That sits on a pre-64 Mod. 70 Featherweight 30-06. I wish they still made rifles like this. Next is the 1.5 x 5 by 20 mm with the German #4 reticle, also from their custom shop. It sits on a customized Mod. 70 "Classic Stainless" in .375 H&H caliber. All of thes scopes wear Warne detachable scope rings and all rifles have iron sights. Any one of these rifles and scopes and the right bullet will work for all Alaskan big game hunting. The 30-06, ,338 Win. mag., 375 H&H and Leupold scopes have a proven and unmatched history in Alaska. Like the old time Alaskan told me long ago. If you have a Win. Mod. 70 in caliber 30-06 loaded with Nosler bullets, a Trapper Nelson pack board and a wall tent life is good!

Default Leupold

I have several different scopes on my rifles, including a Swarovski Z6 1.7x10, Kahles 3x9 and Zeiss 3x9...all excellent glass.

However, I've got to say that I prefer my Leupold Vari-X III's for reliability, construction, and overall performance...I have a 2x8 and a couple of 3.5x9's.

Doc

I've more or less gravitated to the VXIII/FX Leupold line.

My current favorite is a FXII 4x33 on my mountain rifle. Light, compact, simple.

I do have a 3.5-10x and a 2.5-8x that I like very much as well.

I've wanted to try a Swarovski for some time- I can't hardly bring myself to break the piggy bank yet...

3x9x40 Zeiss Conquest. Etched glass reticle, lifetime warranty, superior optics to anything else in this price range.

Leupold VX3s or Euros are pretty hard to beat for the money. If I were ever so inclined to take a step up it would be one of the Swarovski Z6s. Short of that I don't really see that the money buys me that much more scope. The Z6 in 1.5-6 is about the perfect dangerous game scope. The Z6i seeems to be the best thing going for low light/night hunting. I just haven't convinced myself to this point that I "need" high end rifle scopes like I need high end binos or spotting scopes.

Brett

I am a fan of Nikon glass. It doesn't come with the price tag of the European brands or even the upper class Leupolds. They are clear enough for me and in the last bit of the day my scope is brighter than just my eyes. They get bounced around a bunch driving on these perfectly smooth (sarcasm) roads of Louisiana, but they haven't lost a zero yet. Just my opinion.

Luckily I haven't looked through anything like a S&B or Zeiss, so Nikon still seems pretty darn clear! Sometimes ignorance is bliss, or at least my wallet thinks so!

Default Leupold

I prefer Leupold optics because they are well made, affordable, have a great warranty, and happen to be made in the USA.

With that being said I also have a fondness for fixed power scopes, when I was a little guy I couldn't wait to grow up and buy a Leupold 3-9 just like my dad uses, now that I'm mostly grown up and can afford one I find myself buying more fixed powers and I still dont have a 3-9.I guess I just never needed more and like the simplicity of a fixed power.

I use an M8 Leupold fixed 4pwr on my 30-06, a fixed 2.5 on my big bore levergun, a fixed 3 on my 25-06, and I have a fixed 2.5 that will go on my next medium bore that I have planned.
    I do own one variable, my highest magnification scope, a VXIII 1.5-5X20 that sits on my 458 Winchester.

As an additional note to Leupold's warranty, 2 months ago I had to send back my fixed 4 because the eyepiece lense had come loose. It was completely rebuilt and returned to me in less than two weeks, free of charge of course, the awesome thing is that they didn't care that my scope was brand new in the late 1950's, I called my grandad and told him that I would do my best to get another 50 years out of it.

Leupold Vari X II 2-7. I grow up shooting peep sights and felt confident with them out to 150 yards. So I did not see the need for much magnification in a scope. I really wanted a 1-4 but quality scopes in this power range tend to be expensive. I picked this one up off of ebay about 5 years ago for $60 plus $8 shipping, and have never looked back. Nice low power for close range, while still having enough power to get good accuracy when developing loads. It was on a 22 LR for a while till I got my 30-06 and it may well spend the rest of my life there.

If money where no object I would take a Zeiss in a 1-4 or so for that rifle. I have spent a lot of time looking through Zeiss Ni2 survey levels and have found them the clearest I have seen. But the cost in a rifle scope is just not worth it to me.

What is your favorite scope on your favorite gun for hunting the different game you hunt and why? If you have different setups for different game feel free to explain as many as you hunt with.
    Hard to say what my favorite is so I'll list the ones I use most.

I have a 3X9X33 Leupold Ultralight that I love that is on a lightweight 6.5x55. I prefer it for that application because it brackets 4X which is the preferred magnification for the animals I hunt with that rifle, it is bright enough for my purposes, it weighs less than 9 oz. and is durable to a fault.

I have a 3X9X40 Zeiss on a trusted 300 WM. I love the rifle and scope because it was a gift, a surprise gift from my mom years ago. I'll never part with it. I like that scope because it has excellent optics, constant eye relief and enough magnification to allow precise shot placement at the maximum range I will use this rifle. It is a heavy scope, but a few extra ounces doesn't hurt on top of this rifle and it is the rifle I pickup when I am uncertain of the terrain.

I have a 4.75X40 Weaver Grand Slam on a 35 Whelen. I bought this scope for a song several years ago without knowing where I would mount it. After a couple of other tries on my Whelen (Vari-X III 1.75-6, Zeiss 3-9, Sightron 3-9) I mounted this scope and have never looked back. It seems like it should be a little too much magnification for this rifle, but I find it works great and if I tell the complete truth this is the rifle I hunt with most, or at least did. It has been at a gunsmith for more than a year now-ah don't get me started.

I have many others that see a good bit of duty. An M8 3X on a 358 BLR that I carry when I am backpacking for moose. It is light weight and is so unobtrusive; it fits the rifle like a glove. I have a 4X Nikon Monarch on a 338 WM that has been as stable and dependable as anything I could hope for and looks classy on that particular rifle.

I use an old (friction adjustments) Vari-X III 1.5X5 on my 416 RM for chasing brownies in the alders. I keep the scope set on 3X so it's ability to shift power doesn't really interest me, but its durability and small size make it nearly perfect for the 416 and the bears.

I have a 7mm STW that I built about 8-9 years ago for 'bou, but the Mulchatna herd is mostly gone now. Still I think this is a near perfect rifle for its purpose. I tried a couple of scopes, but finally bought a 4X16X40 Bushnell 4200. It has been ideal for that rifle. It has a little too much magnification to be practical; I could get along very well with a fixed 6X, but it has a 27 inch barrel and I like a 14 LOP so the rifle is a long one and a short scope looks a little odd. The 4X16 is not as heavy as you might guess, only 17 oz, but it is long enough to look balanced on this rifle. I love the RainGuard coating and it has been a huge benefit on several occasions, though the 'bou might disagree. It has nice glass, 3.9-4.2 inches of eye relief which is a must on the light STW, and good tracking; I've been very satisfied with this Bushnell.

There are a couple of common threads on my scopes. One is they all bracket 3-4X and that is where they stay unless there is a peculiar instance where I adjust the magnification. A second commonality is their size. I select a scope that is as small as possible for the particular application. I have zero desire or need for an objective over 40mm on a hunting rifle. I have found the scopes I have listed as bright as I have any need of in the field and their smaller size, lighter weight and better aesthetics (IMO) vastly offset any advantage a larger objective might possibly offer. I also use non-detachable mounts on everything except my 45/70 with a IER scope and ghost ring set up and the 300 WM I mentioned earlier. I've total confidence in my scopes and though I've had a couple of failures (Zeiss, Leupold & Bushnell) I do not think a set of irons offer any real advantage in the field. This post is a little longer than I intended, but hey Cast Iron asked.

1.75-5 power Burris Fullfield ll.
    Browning Lever Rifle chambered for 358 Winchester.
    It's my everything gun, I have the scope mounted in Warne QD low rings. To date, I've never had the scope knock out alignment, or a malfunction. At 200 yards on 5 power......1.5 in. groups. The scope has 14 psi springs.....twice as much as other scopes. I'm a Burris owner for life. I also own a 3-12 XTR that will be going on my future sheep/goat rifle. I also use this scope to test the accuracy of my handloads.

Funny, I just swore off of Burris. I have one on my .300 Wby--a 3-9X Fullfield to be exact. It has been a good scope, but when I went to the range a few days ago, I noticed that I couldn't get the reticle and the target in focus at the same time. One or the other was blurry all the time. No amount of adjusting seemed to fix it. I also had problems with another Burris. It was a 1.75-6X Signature series with illuminated reticle. The reticle would not light up no matter what I tried. I replaced the battery, everything. Nothing worked, so I sent it back to MidwayUSA.

So I guess that makes my 2-7x33 Leupold VX-II on my .280 my favorite. I'm leaning toward a 3-9X VX-II to replace the Burris on my Weatherby, but also considering the 2.5-10X Nikon Monarch.

Leupold Vari X II 2x7 has been on the Sako for 30 years, so I guess it isn't going anywhere.

Could have stuck with that on the .308 Rem. Compact Tactical, but went with a 2.5x8 Vari X III.

I rarely take the scope off the low power setting when hunting. Only crank it up when shooting at the range.

I've settled on two, the Leupold vx-iii 6X42 and the 3.5-10X40. They both have plenty of eye relief, aren't too critical of head position, and decent clarity for low light conditions.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast