Thread: To split or not to split?

Default To split or not to split?

Don't worry my wife and I are fine she still loves me and I can't afford a new one

Now to the real question....

I doubt that I would ever actually have the stones to do it, but I still thought I would pose the question.
    Who has cut their board and used one of the "split kits" to build their own splitboard? How did you like the results?

LuJon,

Check out the DIY section of the splitboard.com. Lots of people have done it with great results. The really only down side is no metal edging on the inside of the "skis" while touring, which can debated if that makes a difference at all.

However, if you want you can try my split board out (though at 166 cm it might be a little small for ya for real backcountry riding) when it gets in and we get some decent snow and see if its something you might want to pursue. I agree the idea of taking putting my current board on the table saw is pretty scary. Thats why I bought a split board. I'm gonna have my bro try out my setup and if he likes it he'll be cruising brociety.com or craigslist for a decent board for cheap to split. I'm thinking he can get a really decent DIY split board for about $350-400 as long as he switches the bindings off his old board.
    Last edited by Alaska_Lanche; 10-27-2009 at 17:27.

If you decided to make your own split boards stay away from the new Burton boards. Almost all of them come with thier new channel system and it runs down the middle of the board. So if you cut it right down the middle, you will have no where to mount your bindings, unless you put in new inserts. I am unfamiliar with split board set ups, I have never used one.

I finally did it last year and I can't believe I didn't do it sooner. I was pretty scared too, so, I took my time and it turned out pretty good. Cutting the board was easy, it was putting all of the hardware on that I found a little more difficult. I'm looking forward to do it again. I'm always looking on craigslist for a new board to split, although I could dig getting a professionally built splitboard.

I have a friend in Fairbanks that has a 182 splitdecision he is trying to sell. Pm me if you are interested.

Default i wants to sell a kit

hi,

so last spring i thought i was going to cut my board in half for the last couple weeks of the season... i couldnt get it done in time for the trip.

this fall i bought one of those voile 174's.

but i had already bought the split kit and skins. so.

im in anchorage and have a split decision kit and skins purchased last may. that i wanna sell.

317-3380

Haven't tried it, but the video leaves me scratching my head. Some shorter fatter XC skiis seem a much better approach to me. I'd rather modify snowboard boots to work with new nordic norm bindings and use telescoping poles that could fit on/in a pack.

I hated the Leatherman when it came out too (till the second generation Wave). Something about multipurpose niches that take a high degree of refinement to work the compromises into balance.

But like I said, I haven't tried it.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

actuelly, on that trip last spring i was talking about. i did get to borrow one of my friends homemade split board.

works rather well... though that board was not long or wide enough for me. and i think it was kind of flexible.

those are the considerations i think you have to take into account when you are choosing a board to cut in half over buying a board made for the voile gear.

the voile split design hasnt really changed in over 10 years? so in terms of the leatherman analogy, i think we have arrived or past the next gen point.

maybe im wrong though ;p

but the idea that it would be better to carry 2 extra planks... rather than having a board that breaks down, really doesnt work for me.

for one thing. having an extra set of XC skis means you would have to carry your board up. and carry skis down.

also the main attraction of the splitboard is that you can put skins on them. put simply. the more surface area the better the skins work? so having compact skis seems detrimental in this regard.

;p