Thread: smallest boat with the most hp u ever rode/seen...work well?

Lightbulb smallest boat with the most hp u ever rode/seen...work well?

And no pic's of that raft with the 8 -250hp suz's either! looking for the right hp wt, to boat wt hp. Skip the " CG plate rating here" and make it a "real akaskan boat" jet or prop...<24'
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default 18 foot v-drive

I played around for a long time boat racing. Wildest was an 18 ft K-boat with just a little over 1,000 hp in a blown injected Chevy. Top speed 180 mph. Not exactly an alaskan cruiser. But you asked.... smallest boat vs. most HP.

My best friends son tried a 25hp Johnson on a 12 ft jon boat last summer. First time he turned..... well.... he swam back to shore. Too much, too heavy, definitely unstable when turned hard. Lucky he's OK.

I think Nimrod has a 13' or something with an inboard that he uses up on the Sag. Hopefully he will weigh in with his hotrod.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

This guy http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=.../2/5H859z4w274
    runs a 16' Alaskan with a 150 Opti, which is pretty overpowered but looks to run like a bat out of hades
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

25' Mako (heavy) w/twin 406 chevy inboards. Ate 3' seas like nothing and cruised at a gentle 42mph @ 4,100 rpm and topped out just over 60 @ 5,500 rpm. Motors were estimated @ 375hp each by speed shop builder in Florida.

I always loved fishing from that boat even when I had to go under to clear the props of rope. We could run 1/2 way to Cuba in no time at all. We were regularly checked by F4`s when we got 50 miles or more in Cuba`s direction.

Not real small but worthy in my book.

Chriso's little red boat with 2 cup holders. Scary fast.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

When I was young, my dad had a 16' tri-hull with a 140hp. johnson. It was just fast.

Default 15' 252 hp

this 1 is 15' and 252 hp super charged ecotec motor
    1350lbs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jbm View Post
    this 1 is 15' and 252 hp super charged ecotec motor
    1350lbs.
    This one have the Scott pump? HCM hull? What's the price tag?

yes hcm hull eco tec motor and a scott 752 2 stage pump with hyd trim

12 foot zodiac with 40hp 2 stroke, could water ski all day on 6 gal of gas. Boat weight was 150lbs, a little light on the front with one person…was a real blast.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default x2

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    12 foot zodiac with 40hp 2 stroke, could water ski all day on 6 gal of gas. Boat weight was 150lbs, a little light on the front with one person…was a real blast.
    I done this with detuned 40/35 one day. Transom wasn't in the best shape being older wood. Sure skipped along pretty good and i here you on the blast part. I was use to just paddling the raft and took the motor off my other boat for s*!s and giggles.

Quote Originally Posted by jbm View Post
    yes hcm hull eco tec motor and a scott 752 2 stage pump with hyd trim
    What's the top speed and RPM? Are you happy with the end result or are we going to improve? $30k, more or less?

Default speed

top speed at 4100 ft elev. was 51 mph on the gps and wot rpm was 5150
    we are very happy with this and we are building 1 with uhmw and a 1/2 thick keel
    we are also looking at a 3.6L GM V6 with 330 hp [est]
    we are getting the dyno #s this week
    with that hp we are looking at high 50's on top speed
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default i just sold it

15'skeeter bass boat, 200 hp merc black max, 26 inch pitch prop 85mph on gps on a calm day on lake superior.
    traded it for a 28' bahacruiser, does a whopping 30 mph, but handle a lot more seas!

i have a 14 footer, 6 wide. has 175 SJ. this boat is a real performer. (except last fall, still not sure why, different impellor and housing helped alot that Chriso loaned me). it is very manuverable, runs on 1-2 inches of water once it is up and going. even 15+ yards of no water if gravel and speed are right (had 2-1/2 caribou and racks of 5 caribou plus another guy bigger than me so two of us were approaching 500 in wt.)
    probably would be scarey what it could do with a very experienced driver, i'm still learning. but have impressed and increased pucker power on a few hunting partners. but when it is stuck it is really stuck.
    new it maxed out near empty @50mph, and was able to get onstep with 8 men onboard.....took a while according to builder. cruises @ 25-27mph last fall with gear and 3 adults (standing, wind drag) going up Sag against pretty good wind 38mph.
    very heavy boat. built for rough use. or poor river reading skills.
    bottom center- 3/8" thick
    bottom sides- 1/4"
    sides - 1/10
    the 1/2" UHMW over bottom and 13" wide strip over keel that is 5/8 " (1-1/8)
    7 stringers on inside for more support.
    Compeaus had a 12 footer "lil squirt" with a 175 sj a few years ago in their show room...had to be a screamer light build boat, thin bottom. first good rock strike could be a problem!
    i had on of those, they were built for Kenai 40hp engine rated at 33
    i put an 85 hp wave runner engine in it , would scream with on person but took for every getting on step with 2 . that was when i drove to Canada and got my 14 footer ( used to think it was 13")

video clip my son took on sag does not show boat thou.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J43tve19OIg

another video clip on photobucket .com listed under aknimrod under videos shows the boat, nothing spectacular water is? 3" deep in shallowest spot
    only change i would make in my boat is opimax engine for better fuel economy.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER