Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ship creek help anyone?

Default ship creek help anyone?

i shot a moose up ship creek and i need to know if there are anyone with horses i can hire to pack out. i have some army buddies that would help, but i want to try the easier ways first. any sugestions? thanks

Only suggestion I have for you is to get that moose out of there before the bears find it and trust me, they will find it. How far in are you and where did you start from?

Not to poop on your umbrella.. but isn't that something you should have figured out BEFORE you shot the moose.

I have several assignments due tonight and late class. If its still down out there tomorrow, pm me, I'll grab the pack and lend a hand.

Wow, really? Tell me this is a joke?
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

He could be posting this via phone and still at the kill sight. Modern technology and all that.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Check with Horse Trekking Alaska: 907-868-3728

If this were on the weekend, I'd be glad to pack a load out.

Good luck.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    Not to poop on your umbrella.. but isn't that something you should have figured out BEFORE you shot the moose.

ahw. yeah didn't we explain all this to these guys over the years time?

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Wow, really? Tell me this is a joke?
    Deb? i was just reading directions to skin a Rabbit.. i doubt it is a joke

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    He could be posting this via phone and still at the kill sight. Modern technology and all that.
    Regardless Doug, we all know the fun stops when you pull that trigger, if you don't know what your doing or going to do.. then..

DONT SHOOT IT>

hope fully he can get hold of his ft rich buddies and get it taken care of.. though if he does it alone it will be a 1000% good lesson.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Only suggestion I have for you is to get that moose out of there before the bears find it
    Or it gets wet from all this rain we have been having. Hope he set up a good meat shelter.

I do agree with what has been said, its your responsibility as a hunter to take care of something like this before you step foot in the woods.

So got.n.elk made an error and did not prepare for success.
    And now all the forum experts need to inform him of his errors.

got.n.elk,
    I doubt that you will find a horse packer. It will be a stroke of great luck if you do.
    Unlike you, everybody else on the forum was born with an advanced degree in outdoor knowledge.
    However, you will have to earn your knowledge and experience the tough way. You and your (prior) buddies are now going to learn how to backpack a moose from the kill site to the transportation. You will be able to get the job done in ten full backpack loads. You and your packers...I almost wrote friends, but they will not be your friends for long...will now gain first hand knowledge why one needs to consider the whole picture, the big picture, prior to launching off that projectile.

Good luck, work hard and tough, and you will accomplish the packing goal.
    In addition, all of you will learn some valuable hunting, killing , packing and outdoor ethics & responsibility lessons.

...been there, and done that...I learned the hard way also. I survived, and so will you, probably.

Quit wasting time looking for an easy way out. Start working and packing now.

Dennis

I'd help you if I was in town, even though I still agree that this is not the time for planning on how to get a moose out...nonetheless...

pack it out in legs, meaning move one load a mile, go back, and move another. Instead of carrying a load the entire distance to your vehicle and back if you break it up it will be a little easier because you are relieving your back of a load more frequently. Plus, you are moving the meat away from the kill site which is where bears are more likely to go first (they like guts).

Default horses

If you don't have any luck with Horse Trekkin then give Deb Baines a call. She should be in the book. Been working horses for quite awhile up here and I know that she and Clarence McConnell (Old horse packer) were doing some packing this fall. Not sure if they still have the horses up here or may be on the road south. Good luck

Default keep it legal...

One more word of caution....for our moose killer and his prefered horse team...

If anyone accepts payment or compensation of any type to transport wild game with their horses, or with any other means or transportation, that transporter will need to be a licensed Transporter with a current Transporters License.

Several yearas ago, a high profile Iditarod competitor used his dog team to recovers a hunters moose meat. He received a tiny amout of compensation, which he invested in dog food...and was cited for illegal transporting wild game.

Be aware of this, in view of other recent legal actions taken involving forum members following their naive forum postings.

Default Help

You had nothing to lose by asking on this forum. If you still need help, I and another youngbuck or 2 will get that beast outta there, in exchange for a quarter of course.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by SperBear View Post
    You had nothing to lose by asking on this forum. If you still need help, I and another youngbuck or 2 will get that beast outta there, in exchange for a quarter of course.

right theres the spirit... and how it has been done for years up here... when you get there be sure to give hime newby grief.

rep added
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I really would mind helping out a fellow hunter but work schedule does not permit it. Good luck with it, you will work hard but it will be worth it.

Default There is SNOW!

I was heading up there to spot around 5:00pm tonight to do some spotting and had to turn around because of snow on the road. (front wheel drive with studs was sliding all over road). Ship Creek valley had snow in it from what I could see. It will be a chore to get the meat out but you should get back in there, spike out and protect the meat. It's only going to get more difficult as the week goes on.

Get those buddies you mentioned and go get your meat!! Good Luck!

Default Assume you are being truthfull

Why don't you fessup and tell us where the kill is. Ship Creek drainage is fairly large. If you killed it near the bottom off Artic Valley road is one thing. Way back up the valley is another. That would be a decision maker for me.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

May be willing to help in the am, depending how far in this critter is. pm me
    Paul

Default I, too, went up Ship Creek...

without a paddle, last year for this hunt. Pulled down a decent bull and with the help of friends, and friends of friends, carried out on foot. Planned ahead this year, but didn't have an opportunity. How far in, and from what direction? I may know of a few who would like to EARN some fresh moose.

Hunted Ship[ Creek the past 3 days and not one sign of moose except on the Ft Rich golf course,the trails are only getting slicker,better get it outta there soon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast