Thread: Helped Mom bag her first moose(30 years in the making)

Default Helped Mom bag her first moose(30 years in the making)

So this was the year of helping my parents bag some animals.

In line with the "Got the old goat a goat thread" now it was time to help my mom fill her moose tag.

So my mom moved up to Alaska in 1980 after marrying my dad and getting drug around to several towns around the state both on and off the road system. In during that almost 30 years she had been in on her fair share of moose hunts, but never really joined in on the final stalk of the moose.

This spring I helped her apply for several cow hunts after the regular moose season as a last minute fill the freezer in case we didn't get anything during the normal season. Sure enough she pulled a DM 798 permit. She was VERY excited to get a chance to shoot a moose herself and do her part to fill the freezer this season.

So 2 days after I got back from Kodiak goat hunting, mom, dad, my wife, and myself are heading north to Delta Junction. 5.5 hours after leaving Wasilla we are unloading the wheelers to start looking for a moose. Having been up there the two previous seasons for cow hunts that lasted all of 1 hour or less I had high hopes for this hunt, but didn't let my mom know as I didn't want her too confident that we'll find a moose to hunt. Thats why they call it hunting not killing right The weather was perfect 50 degrees in the middle of October and not a cloud in the sky. We drove around from 2 pm to 8:30pm and saw several cows and even got to stalk with her into within 200 yrds of one cow, but she wouldn't co-operate with us to get closer to allow my mom to get into her comfort shooting range of less than 100 yrds.

8:30 pm we load up the wheelers and head into Delta Junction in search of a nice meal. Except on a Sunday everything in Delta Junction early and is closed by 9 PM so it was to the gas station for some quality frozen burritos and hot dogs. Then back to the motel for a night of quality sleep. I've never hunted out of a motel before, but I hear its common practice for some hunts in the lower 48 and I must say its not too shabby sleeping in a warm room with a real bed and hot showers.

Well the next morning rolled around and we were out the door before daylight fully set in. Still warm for October at 27 degrees that morning. About 10 miles in we found a cow down across a ravine a 1/2 mile away. At 250 yrds my dad and wife stayed to behind to watch the stalk unfold and see where the cow might go. My mom and I dropped below the hill and continued our stalk with frequent breaks to catch our breaths (well maybe both of us didn't need to catch our breaths, but thats ok I was just glad she was out there getting after it regardless) we were soon within 80 yrds of the moose. Shortly there after the moose was down and my mom had her tag filled in addition to our freeezers!!! 30 years of living in Alaska and she finally had shot a moose of her own.

My wife and I hiked back up the wheelers as my mom wasn't really digging the hiking scene to say the least. So while I was busy retrieving the wheeler my mom and dad made quick work skinning the moose right up until the part where they decided they'd wait until the "young buck and doe" got back for the heavy lifting. Soon we were on our way back to Delta Junction for a real dinner at the one of the restaurants. All in all it was a great hunt and were blessed with wonderful weather and a great chance to take an animal to fill the freezer. Being able to get out and hunt with my folks and wife are and always will be my most memorable hunts regardless of the "trophy" size of the animal.

Here is a pic of my mom and I staring directly into the sun for our pic hence the squinting:

Congrats.. Thats a nice size cow too...

Good job. Now get her her own rifle and watch out!

Took me years to convince my mom to get her C&R license. Now she has more arms than me!
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

That would be a great pic even without the moose in it!!!
    Memories for you both (all) forever. Great stuff.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Thumbs up

Luke it is good to see you getting your Mom out there and having a successful hunt as well! She got a nice moose the two of you look very happy in that pic!
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

NICE luke!!!

my mom would never........
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Smile

Good to you ALL.

Your such a respectful 'kid',,

Hence the 'thread title'.

We're enjoying your hunts !

Awesome. Your mom was such a sweetheart when my truck broke in their yard years ago. Tell her congratulations. My folks just aren't interested in hunting and I won't take up golf.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thats about as neat a thing I ever heard of or seen. God Bless

Simply put AWESOME!! Memories for a lifetime!

Default Congrats!

You may not really appreciate the time you have spent for some years to come - get in as many trips as you can as they are what life should be all about....
    Thanks for the great post....

Smile I remember...

It was 1966 and I was finally an Alaska resident. I shot a fork horn moose and a small double shovel caribou the 2nd day of the season with the old Springfield 30-06. Mom was with me for the caribou. What a thrill to share with her. I wish she was still here. Hunt with your family as often as you can. Life is short. Neat story and pics!

Great story, thanks for sharing.

Well tell momma lanche I said congrats. The wife is over here laughing cause you look about 13 in that picture!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Well tell momma lanche I said congrats. The wife is over here laughing cause you look about 13 in that picture!
    HAHA well when I'm 50 and looking half my age we'll see who is laughing then

Default Awesome

Thats great to share something like that with your mother, and it doesn't happen often enough in this day and age.I always enjoyed hunting with both of my parents, but nothing was as special as the day that my mom whacked a darn nice whitetail like it was no big deal. I asked her how it happened and she said, " Well he just walked out there about a hundred and fifty yards away and I just pulled my rifle up and shot him, now son why dont you be a dear and go down the hill and dress him out for me, I'll be down to take my picture when your done." Just like that cool as a cucumber.

Great story and Pic, congrats to all of you.