Thread: Best Deals on Electronics

Question Best Deals on Electronics

Just curious who has made some recent electronic puchases, and where you found the best deals. I'm looking for a new garmin gps. Also, do other (less expensive) brands compare?

Thanks guys.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default Garmin store on Old Seward

Garmin store on Old Seward. Vit Marine online is good. West Marine may be pricey, but you can take it back to them at the store if it fails.

Default Price match

West Marine has price matched several Garmin units that i have purchased from them. I just printed out the ad and showed it to them and it was a done deal. The good thing about buying from them is that they are here and you actually have a person and a large company to help you if you have a problem.

Thumbs up BOE Marine

For selection, price and customer service BOE is hard to beat online. I have only ever read their praise from satisfied customers, myself included.

xtrareliable

Default BOE

I purchased 2 Lowrance HDS units from BOE Marine. Price was competitive and customer service was good.

Default Third vote for BOE Marine

I oufitted my boat with Garmin, Icom, and ACR gear from BOE. They had the lowest prices of any reputable online store, and normally have free shipping for electronics orders over $400 (even to AK!!! All my gear was shipped via second day air). Jim is willing to answer questions and has a forum over at TheHullTruth.com. Good luck with your shopping.
    2007 26' Northriver OS, Suzuki 300.

Thumbs up The GPS Store

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    Just curious who has made some recent electronic puchases, and where you found the best deals. I'm looking for a new garmin gps. Also, do other (less expensive) brands compare?

Thanks guys.
    Buy local: I bought a Garmin 4208, DSM sounder, G2 card, network cables & hardware from the GPS Store on Old Seward this spring for about $75 more than I could find them online & Garmin kicked in a $200 rebate that I could have got online too. The GPS store also downloaded the new updated software for my old Garmin 238 plotter for no charge.

Online: Marine.com has pretty good prices & they only charge a flat rate for delivery. Used to have the best prices for Icom radios & Navman gauges along with great customer service.

Thanks guys.
    I have bought from BOE also and found Jim great to do businees with.
    West Marine has also been good but with electronics it nice to deal with people that really know their equipment.
    I would give thumbs up to Gramin, I have had some issues with a Rino and e-mailed them on thanksgiving day as I didnt have much else to do. Figured I would get a reply on Monday, lo and behold I had a response within minutes, the tech guy was sitting at home checking e-mails...!
    It took a dozen e-mails, but by monday it was taken care of and ready to go, upload-download, geez I cant remember what all I had to do, but it worked and I didnt even have to ask my wife for help, (well maybe a little). I have had other querys to Gman and it was dealt with incredibily prompt.
    Not so with Lowrance, I will be loathe to purchase another Lowrance product again. The tech service and help is beyond horrible...! Nice people and they want to help but they take weeks to answer e-mails (and then they ask , "what was the question"). If you try to call be prepeared to be on the phone for a hour or more, and dont expect an answer. No kidding, thats how it is.
    To be fair the product I purchased is great, once I figured out the problem, (on my own), and put up with it not working right for 1/2 a year, yeah I had it hooked up wrong, but it still worked intermittenly and the manual was not clear because it was written by a geek, which I am not.
    So It can be important to have some support if you need, beit from a reseller or the manufacturer. So, hey try it out for yourself, just e-mail them a question and see what happens.
    Of course this is all my opinion and experiences.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Lowrance is located at 12000 East Skelly Drive, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74128 USA. (copied out of their web site)

I wonder how much experience they have with ocean enviorments?

They probably make a great unit for Billybobs bass boat. Walk up and down the commercial dock and look to see what they use.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Gundog View Post
    Lowrance is located at 12000 East Skelly Drive, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74128 USA. (copied out of their web site)

I wonder how much experience they have with ocean enviorments?

They probably make a great unit for Billybobs bass boat. Walk up and down the commercial dock and look to see what they use.

Mike
    If proximity to the ocean is the qualifying marker we all better buy Furuno

Shoot, I just ordered Garmin out of Kansas.

Ordered thru the local dealer, a little more then down and dirty internet pricing but I'll have his help if an issue arrises.

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Doh I did not know that so much for that theory. I had a Lowrance unit and had less than stellar performance from it. The screen would fog up on the coast I sent it back and after being without it for 6 weeks I got it back first time out the screen fogged again.

IMHO Garmin is best known for their GPS units they do that very well easy to use I have owned 3 of their GPS's. Their older FF were not that great but the new stuff seems pretty good and I have read alot of good stuff about them.

My son has the 4208 bundle with radar and he likes it better than my Furuno. I sold the boat with the Furuno stuff and I am now considering the Garmin 4212 bundle over the Furuno Nav net for the boat I have on order now. I still think Furuno is better but not as easy to use and costs another $1500 to get the same equipment. I am not sure I want to spend the extra after seeing my sons equipment in use.

One of the positives for me is the Furuno repair facility is about 5 miles from my house and they have been very helpful to me in the past.

I bought my last unit from BOE online they were several hundred better than anyone else for the same unit. I may buy from them again but I want to give West Marine a chance to price match.

Mike

www.starmarinedepot.com

Have ordered several units from them. Use to do business with them when I was ordering for military units. A plus customer service and great shipping worldwide.

Default Online

Buying online I would suggest Anchor Express, I've had very good service and saved a bundle. check them out

Thumbs up Thanks for the Advice

I found the best price at StarMarineDepot.com. Ended up with a Garmin 421 GPS Map for $399. Anyone know of this model? Not as nice as the bigger screens but not near as expensive either. Plus dash space is a real comodity.

Thanks again,
    Doug
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Thumbs up Good Deal

I found the best price at StarMarineDepot.com. Ended up with a Garmin 421 GPS Map for $399. Anyone know of this model? Not as nice as the bigger screens but not near as expensive either. Plus dash space is a real comodity.

Thanks again,
    Doug

So let us know how long to get it to Alaska from Florida. Just interested if things have changed any. I did get hooked up one time and got free shipping with DHL. Did a group buy and took advantage of the shipping. I am sure my name is still on the wall somewhere with a big "X" thru it.