Thread: MY new gun

Default MY new gun

I picked up this rustic looking trade rifle. Im not sure what to call it. So far Ive settled on Chiefs grade fusil trade gun. It was made by A.L. Edge who specializes in restoring and copying antique guns. So I imagine he copied it from some original piece however that is just speculation on my part. I might contact him and see if he can give me the details.

It has a fusil stock, a type c I believe. The lock is a Germanic Davis lock. The butplate is an english style. The serpant sideplate is a very early design. The trigger guard is also of english flavor. So kind of a big mix of parts, but they all fall in the early 1700's time frame. The stock is walnut and has a simple raise carving around the tang as well as where the comb meets the wrist.

The gun is well put together and very well antiqued. It looks like it was made in the 1700's, not in a junky way, but its got some "character". The previous owner also used it quite a bit further giving it even more flavor.

The gun is pretty light, Id guess 6lbs. Balances nicely on the shoulder and my face lines up perfectly on it.

Im not sure who made the barrel. I'd guess colerain. It's .62 cal, octogaon to round, 1 wedding band ring, smooth bore and 36" long. It just has a soldered on brass front sight.

Cant wait to take this to kodiak here in November for the Muzzleloader deer hunt. I dont have much time to tinker with loads, but I believe I can narrow it down good enough for a 50 yard shot. Then after I get my deer, Ill go rabbit hunting with it! I love the versatility of smooth bores!

Now without further ado...

That's one nice looking smoke pole, Matt.

Keep your powder dry.

Default The .62

Hey Matt, nice looking gun.
    Did you find it up here?

Default Nice Gun

I have never fired a muzzleloader before but that is a very nice looking gun you've got there.
    Early to bed
    Early to Rise
    Fish all day
    Make up lies

Thanks for the compliments guys. Its a neat gun and I cant wait to try it out. Hopefully she will shoot straight. Im not to worried about it though. Im more worried about the junk roundballs I have for it at the moment. I have some better ones on the way, but they probably wont be here till this weekend.

Kind of a bummer about getting a .62 in Alaska. You are at the mercy of the mail or casting your own. The shot stuff isnt a big deal though. You order the cards and wads in packs of 1000. so that lasts along time, and shot is easy enough to get.

I found this gun on gunbroker. I hate buying over the internet, but its the only way most of the time. There is some nice muzzleloaders I see from time to time up here but they are never for sale, well at least till I sell mine.

fishonaustyn- Sounds like you need to try a muzzleloader! Once you shoot one you will be hooked I bet.
    Even the freinds I have that are not as hooked as me still have a pretty good intrest in them once they shoot one.

Default possibles bag

thats great - a fine piece.

If you're anything like me though, now you'll have to upgrade your possibles bag to be just as nice!

Casting balls isn't bad and can be fun done with kids, cheaply. Its just time consuming.

MY new bag is on its way too!
    Should be here this week.

This gun did come with a mold ,but it looks pretty beat up.

I will get a few molds for christmas or something I guess. Ive been hesitant about it just cause I have so much going on hobby wise down in the garage I dont want to add to the mess

Sweet looking gun, and based on the builder, I'm betting it's a shooter too.

Casting your own won't take too much gear or space if you only want to cast round balls, Matt. Basically a $20 Lee mould, a Coleman stove, some kind of a small dipper and a small yard sale cast iron pot. You've probably already got the stove, and the mold, dipper and pot won't take up as much room as a sixpack. Sorry I don't cast 62, or I'd fix you right up.

And bags, holy cow. Now there's something that will take up your hobby space if you get into making your own. Leather working is a serious addiction, which is fed by the fact that it's easy. Your first one may not look pro, but you can make #2 look as good as anything you can buy.

Just as an update, the does have kicked out their fawns and the bucks are shredding alders and starting to collect harems. Should be sweet by the time you get here.

Default smokepoles

There is a gun builder on this forum that lives in Alaska named Ron Paull. He built me a 54 cal lefty that shoots patched round balls all day long into 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards, for my old tired eyes, incredible, and to date has taken several deer and as of this year one elk, all one shot, clean kills. It has also put some meat into my freezer from winning a shooting match here and there.After i got this gun from Ron, i sold my T/C, it was a righty anyway, and not even close in accuracy at any range even with sabots.
    If you are looking for someone to build you a gun or restore one, i would not hesitate to get in touch with him. He is one of the nicest, extremely knowlagable and most honest man you will ever meet or talk with. Check him out, he can probably tell you anything you want to know about your new rifle, and now you also know there is someone close to you as well.

You bet! I've got a 58 caliber lefty built by Ron, and it lives up to everything you say about yours, though my eyes are a probably a little worse. The thing wants to shoot that well, but my eyes are always playing catchup.

Ron's been a bit distracted by other things in life, but the last time we swapped lines he was about to get back into building. He brought his whole shop when he moved up here, so the moment he has time I'm expecting great things to start happening. Put me in line for another!

I ended up getting an optic aid that attaches to my glass's with a rubber suction cup and it helped me out a bunch, only problen is some of the shoots i have gone to won't allow me to ust it.....I lost track of Ron after he moved up north, and just by luck found him on this forum, i want him to perform a wedding ceromony for my beautiful bride to be and myself one of these days, months , or years!! I left him a message but have not heard back from him as yet.
    I wouldn't hesitat to get another one of his rifles, and plan on doing so soon as well. Something about shooting a smokepole with hand cast patched round balls, there is a sense of pride when you can harvest an animal with a primative rifle that just dosn't compare to doing so with a modern rifle.

Track of the Wolf has a nice left handed 62 caliber Hivernant smooth rifle from him. He told me his wife actually built it! Lots of talent in that family.

That was how i found Ron on this forum, i saw a picture and description of that rifle on the website. His wife is great as well, very nice lady.