Thread: Knik River Road

Default Knik River Road

Does anyone know if there is a place to park at the end of Knik River Road that isn't private? Looking to access Big Timber Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a place to park at the end of Knik River Road that isn't private? Looking to access Big Timber Creek.
    In short no. All of KRR is private. Even the old hunter creek access is locked down in private property.

Wink

The only realisitic way is to go up Knik by boat and then hike up. Best to start your hike a little west of where Big Timber dumps into the Knik.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I would look at land ownership maps and see where the easements are. Know body will tell you where they are; you have to find them for yourself. Half the fun in enjoying Alaska is researching how you can get into it

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    I would look at land ownership maps and see where the easements are. Know body will tell you where they are; you have to find them for yourself. Half the fun in enjoying Alaska is researching how you can get into it
    This is true. However, the user should be very aware of possible conflict while in the field. In this particular case, the user should very much expect conflict. Just make sure you know the law and know how to defend yourself and your actions, if you choose to do this.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Just remember a property line is not an right of way and most of those folks moved down there because they prefer their privacy..

Well, I knew it was going to be very limited access but I didn't think it would be this tight. Anyone have a link to the land ownership/easment maps?

I was looking forward to the 20-Mile River goat registration but it looks like Lake George is the only one opening up. Been looking at maps and there's not good access but I'll try to get something planned out.

Question

Well, I knew it was going to be very limited access but I didn't think it would be this tight. Anyone have a link to the land ownership/easment maps?

I was looking forward to the 20-Mile River goat registration but it looks like Lake George is the only one opening up. Been looking at maps and there's not good access but I'll try to get something planned out.
    What means of transport do you have? How were you going to access 20 Mile if it had been open?
    Big Timber is only a thirty minute boat ride or even better yet, a few of the good cub strips above the gorge are only a thirty minute plane ride. A goat hunt using Shanks Mare from Knik River Road to hunt the Registration area for goat, imo is not feasible.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I've hunted the 20-mile area a few times before and know of a few frequented goat areas reachable by foot if you don't mind some good hard work.

I was looking to find a good place to park along KRR and head in on foot, possibly along the river then head up Big Timber or keep headed up towards the Gorge. Honestly I don't know if it's even possible to do much hiking along the river in this area. Well, things aren't looking good, but I'm just hard headed enough to try anyway.

Thanks for the input.

I've hunted the 20-mile area a few times before and know of a few frequented goat areas reachable by foot if you don't mind some good hard work.

I was looking to find a good place to park along KRR and head in on foot, possibly along the river then head up Big Timber or keep headed up towards the Gorge. Honestly I don't know if it's even possible to do much hiking along the river in this area. Well, things aren't looking good, but I'm just hard headed enough to try anyway.

Thanks for the input.
    AK Wonderer. I feel your pain. I went up there last year helping my buddy and his dad (with a cow tag). No moose for us! And from what I could tell, if you aren't a shareholder of Eklutna Inc. or a private property owner, you are pretty much sol (unless you don't mind wading through terrible swamps up or past your armpits.

I would take the advice on this thread and really be careful. I know a few folks out that way, and most of them keep a loaded firearm handy. More of a "shoot first and ask questions later" group than a "ask questions first, shoot later if needed".

Just so you don't feel too bad I have spent a good bit of time back there and you can't walk along the river very far. You will be busting thick brush for miles before you even get anywhere near a goat. I only know one guy who has ever done this hunt on foot and he has legal access and has spent tons of time scouting his route long before the season.

A boat or plane is BY FAR the best if not only way to go for this hunt.

Is if possible to take a wheeler out Jim Creek up close to the glacier then jump in a packraft or small raft to float across the Knik then begin your hike there?? Just seems like another possible option, but I don't know if that is realistic as I haven't spent much time back there. Of course everything looks possible on google earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Is if possible to take a wheeler out Jim Creek up close to the glacier then jump in a packraft or small raft to float across the Knik then begin your hike there?? Just seems like another possible option, but I don't know if that is realistic as I haven't spent much time back there. Of course everything looks possible on google earth.
    That could work. Especially in late fall, when the river is fairly stable or steadily going down. Near the glacier, the flats are FLAT. Water levels rise and fall quickly and there are no places that I am aware of, that would be real safe to leave a wheeler parked for several days. I suppose a guy could park it on the moraine or ice, and then walk back and forth to the river.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

How bout just parking it in some brush a couple miles away from the glacier?? A couple of miles of backpacking on the flat sure beats getting your wheeler messed with or having to deal with the private property issue or even trying to walk along the alder choked south south of the Knik. I may have to look into this option possibly. Or maybe I can talk someone on here to dropping me off up by the glacier and when I come back with my goat I can just float to the old Glenn Hwy bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    That could work. Especially in late fall, when the river is fairly stable or steadily going down. Near the glacier, the flats are FLAT. Water levels rise and fall quickly and there are no places that I am aware of, that would be real safe to leave a wheeler parked for several days. I suppose a guy could park it on the moraine or ice, and then walk back and forth to the river.
    If I was going to do this I would just plan on having a couple buds drop me and my hunting partner off then ride back out. After the hunt we would just float back to the Old Glenn bridge and call home for a pickup.

I hiked up Big Timber a few years ago. Due to the limited access, I ended up taking a small boat up the Knik to get there. Having someone ferry you in on a wheeler could work if you had a small boat with you to get across the river. I'm not sure I'd leave my wheeler stashed up there though.

By the way, the hike up was brutal.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!