Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Field Dress Hares

Default Field Dress Hares

Anyone want to share how they clean the hares? I watched a video from youtube that showed squeezing the internal organs down from the diaphram through the torso until they fell to the ground with no slice in the abdomen. Does that really work? I'm here to learn please share your system.

Default Good info from ADF&G website...

I use my game shears to cut off the feet and head. Then I cut a hole in the hide along it's back. Next, I grab a fistfull of fur on either side of the cut and pull it off. Half over where the head was and the other half comes off at the tail. There is usually a bit of fur left on the tail and the tips of the legs that I pull off. Next I simply use the shears to open the rabbit up from top to bottom and let the insides fall out.

I rinse as soon as possible and keep in cold fresh water for a few hours to draw out as much blood as possible. They end up just like dark meat chicken.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rising_Creek View Post
    Anyone want to share how they clean the hares? I watched a video from youtube that showed squeezing the internal organs down from the diaphram through the torso until they fell to the ground with no slice in the abdomen. Does that really work? I'm here to learn please share your system.
    Yes, this does work. Probably eliminates about a quarter or third of the body weight which is significant if you have to haul them far. Hold the bunny by the front paws. While hanging there, gently shake the body to move all the organs downward. Pinch the the body at ribcage firmly and alternate squeezing with right and left hands working the gut mass downwards until they emerge. It can be messy until you get some practice.

Snip snip go the feets with a cheap pair of stainless pruning shears,bunny skin is very thin,no need to make slit.Grab n pull from back(in front of rear haunches if that makes sense) down across the sides.
    Over and off the lil leg stubs and towards the head,sorta like case skinning,then I snip the neck,after the skin is all wadded up around the head.
    Carefully open up the gut cavity up through the brisket,hang in your hand by one side of the ribs,with the other hand grab a handfull starting with the lungs and tug down.Crack the pelvis to clean things up and toss in your vest pouch.Back to hunting.
    Magpies n fox will take care of the rest.
    I prefer to hunt with a .22 so things are very clean,cept for the "crewcut."

ak4195

I usually take a cutting board w/ me and actually butcher them for the table in the field. I use a small set of wire cutters to clip off the feet then pull the fur off as others have described. Then it is out with the havel knife and I actually quarter it out and slice off the straps. Then I end up w/ just a gory looking sack-o-guts. I hold that up and make a slit along the spine into the paunch, careful not to slice the bowel or bladder. I use this incision to just reach in and gently pull the loins free.
    Sure it takes a bit longer but it is super light to carry after that and all I have to do at home is rinse the meat off and toss it in the freezer or brine.

Default Hmm, game shears eh?

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    I use my game shears to cut off the feet and head... cut a hole in the hide along it's back... grab a fistfull of fur on either side of the cut and pull it off... open the rabbit up from top to bottom and let the insides fall out...
    Keeps things simple and tidy. Thanks!
    Any heavy snipper will do I guess, but here's a version from Cabela's:

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0015844516062a.shtml
    Last edited by 6XLeech; 01-17-2010 at 21:58.

sharp meat cleaver and chopping block make short work of all the foot and head removal, too. just a lot heavier to haul around with you

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Keeps things simple and tidy. Thanks!
    Any heavy snipper will do I guess, but here's a version from Cabela's:

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0015844516062a.shtml
    That's the one I use. They have them at sportsmans.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I usually take a cutting board w/ me and actually butcher them for the table in the field. I use a small set of wire cutters to clip off the feet then pull the fur off as others have described. Then it is out with the havel knife and I actually quarter it out and slice off the straps. Then I end up w/ just a gory looking sack-o-guts. I hold that up and make a slit along the spine into the paunch, careful not to slice the bowel or bladder. I use this incision to just reach in and gently pull the loins free.
    Sure it takes a bit longer but it is super light to carry after that and all I have to do at home is rinse the meat off and toss it in the freezer or brine.
    That sounds way cool! If I can remember Ill try it next time.A good 80% utilization,I can live with that.

thnx for sharing
    ak4195

Default Nice

That is a nifty set of scissors and that would make taking care of the hares a hole lot easier.
    Early to bed
    Early to Rise
    Fish all day
    Make up lies

grab an ear in each hand and pull apart. the hide comes off easy all the way to the feet. cut off each foot, cut open the abdomen making sure not to cut the guts, let the guts fall out, cut off the head and cut the rabbit in half just behind the ribcage. wash and put in a pot for stew..

Quote Originally Posted by Rising_Creek View Post

1-3 minute bunny bits ready for the pot:

walk over to a blown down tree or any flat wooden surface around

grab the fur at the neck and pull it down towards the feet, sometimes you may have to tear it off in smaller pieces

pull out your hatchet and chop off the head, and feet.

pull out the guts

I usually take the hatchet and cut off the ribs close to the back bone

I then cut the rabbit up in 3 pieces, two connected front legs, and one more whack of the hatchet for the two back legs. The back is the third piece.

I don't even use a knife......and I only use the hatchet because it's always on my belt.......by the time i pull the hatchet out of the sheath......prob. only 2 minutes time till the job is done.

OK, Mainer not to be gruesome but I would sure like to see a pic of the finished product. Well honestly I would like to see pics of each step but I think just one of the final "bits" would be fine. Perhaps a heavy cleaver needs to find it's way in my day pack.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

300win mag, no cleaning required. just add taters and onions
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

what a clean operation
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kershaw makes a very nice pair of shears in a sheath with a small bird skinning knife. They retail for around $65, but I've got a good source .

Quote Originally Posted by danthedewman1 View Post
    what a clean operation

I set up something similar to this on a tree at my cabin for cleaning bunnies. I am curious, I used screws to hang the legs on. I pop them onto the screw heads right above the feet between the bone and the tendon. this seems to work pretty well but sometimes when I pull down on the skin to remove it it pulls the legs off the peg. I am new to cleaning bunnies so any suggestions from you "old pros" out there would be great.

I also added a couple pegs for hanging my shears and knife while I am working.

thanks

Prior to developing a nasty alergy to hares I used to take alot hunting and snaring. I kept only the back and hind legs. I always cleaned each hare after taking to help cool the meat, lighten the load and check the liver. If hunting with someone, have them hold the hare by the hind legs belly to you. With your fingers pull the skin around each rear hock down the hare to past the shoulders. You have to tear the skin which isn't too hard. Once the hare is skinned grab the tail and cut the spine and around the anus, then split and spread the pelvis. Take the tail and carefully pull the tail and connecting anus and intestines through the pelvis. Now gently cut the flesh opening the abdomen down to and through the diaphram. Now draw the tail and intestines toward you while cutting any connective tissue. Be careful not to cut or pop the bladder. Then cut the front half off just behind the last rib. I then cut off the feet and lay the bare meat in the snow for cooling. If hunting alone I would tie each leg to an alder then proceed. This process should take a couple of minutes.
    pete

My set up is used after i pull the hide off. It will also slide into a 2" reciever,but i made an adapter that holds it up with the weight of a tire,being driven up onto the bottom plate. I love it,,the guts fall downward ,,no mess,,clean meat. O ,,and head shots are the way to go, No head shot available,then i dont shoot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast