Thread: Marlin 45-70 Which rear sight to go with??

Default Marlin 45-70 Which rear sight to go with??

I have a Marlin 45-70 Model 1895GS. I am wanting to put a different rear sight on the gun.

Which sights have you guys had luck with?

I am wanting a peep for better accuracy.

What do you think? How do you guys have yours set up?

I was thinking a Williams peep or a AO Ghost ring but am open to some great suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

I have put the wild west guns ghost ring sight on two of my 1895s and like them alot.

I've got XS sights ghost ring w/wings on one of mine. Works good.
    Thinking about a green front with an express rear on my 1895xlr.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    I have a Marlin 45-70 Model 1895GS. I am wanting to put a different rear sight on the gun.

Which sights have you guys had luck with?

I am wanting a peep for better accuracy.

What do you think? How do you guys have yours set up?

I was thinking a Williams peep or a AO Ghost ring but am open to some great suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
    I've been using an AO Ghost Ring (now XS Sight Systems) for something like 12 years; I love it. Before that I had a Williams receiver sight and it worked for my purposes, but the ghost ring is faster IMO. All of the steel ghost ring sights I've seen work great. The wings on the sight look to add some durability to the sight, but my AO is open (w/o wings) and I've not had the first problem. The ghost ring is an accurate enough system for hunting, but a receiver sight is a better dual purpose sight IMO.

IMO the type of front sight is more important than the maker of the rear sight. I have tried several different sights and I prefer the simple post, sometimes called a sourdough, front sight for hunting. It seems to show up better in the field in all lighting conditions. For just targets I prefer either a globe (not with a ghost ring) or a reasonable sized bead with a six o'clock hold (figure eight).

Smile XS...

XS receiver sight with out the wings on the back and their post with the white line on the front. Center the post, put the top of the post where you want the bullet to go and press the trigger.

Default Ditto

Thats how mine works.

.338 mag, What aperture are you using? .230" or .191"?

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    XS receiver sight with out the wings on the back and their post with the white line on the front. Center the post, put the top of the post where you want the bullet to go and press the trigger.

i have used adjustable rear blades, blade and bead front sights, redfield, marbles, and williams rear sights. they all have merit, as the extended length (between front & rear sights) provides more potential accuracy.

my current set is by ashley outdoors (now xs sights) and they are my favorite. no wings to hang up in a saddle scabbard, they are bull strong and completely adjustable. different apertures are available.

AS AN ALTERNATIVE, look up skinner sights llc on the web. they too are steel, strong, adjustable, and a great buy. only $54.00 and they are compatable with your front sight.
    happy trails.
    jh

Default peep sight

I went with a williams peep and a wwg fire front this set up is sweeeeeet!!!!

I went with a williams peep sight mounted just forward of the receiver. (to leave mounts available for possibly mounting aimpoint type sight later) Replaced the front sight with a fire site. Outstanding set-up with quick accusition of targets.